Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I heard ATI cards are better at anti-aliasing and overall picture quality.

Actually , that's because they can enable AA+HDR... and the X1900 series has a slightly better AF .. other than that there is no difference in image quality .
By the way .. ATI cards have 2X , 4X , 6X AA . They can't do 8X AA unless they're crossfired .

Nvidia cards have 2X , 2XQ , 4X , 8X AA ..they can't do 6X AA ..8X is better in image quality of course .. but it costs more performance than 6X .

any Geforce 6 and 7 card can enable 8X AA at any resolution .. BUT the cards limit their capabiltity to do 8X AA to a certain level .

For example : if you have a 6600GT .. you can enable 8X AA @ 1280 x 1024 in Hitman 2 .. BUT you can't enable that for NFS: Most Wanted .. instead you have to lower the resolution to 1024 x 768 to be able to use 8X .. what happened here is that the driver detected that you can't have any decent frames at that level of AA and resolution .

for 7900GT I think it can enable 8X at a resolution up to 1600 x 1200 .. Again that's my guess .. it could be wrong .

cleeve

Illustrious
Hameedo said:
Actually , that's because they can enable AA+HDR... and the X1900 series has a slightly better AF .. other than that there is no difference in image quality .

Nvidia is also notirious for 'texture shimmering', but you can get rid of that by setting IQ to 'high quality' in the Nvidia drivers.

Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Cleeve said:

Nvidia is also notirious for 'texture shimmering', but you can get rid of that by setting IQ to 'high quality' in the Nvidia drivers.

You mean mipmap bias ?

TRENDING THREADS