Scheduled task not starting

Whatever

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second is a
program that starts backup.

Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
computer to read the exact message).

Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.

Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. You may need to
add the user/ group 'logon as batch job' rights (server side). Control
Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights
Assignments
"Log on as a batch job"

Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user account
has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
won't exist when no one is logged on.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"whatever" wrote:
| Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
is a
| program that starts backup.
|
| Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
| computer to read the exact message).
|
| Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
|
| Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

Whatever

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and set the
time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the message
"could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".

Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. You may need to
> add the user/ group 'logon as batch job' rights (server side). Control
> Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights
> Assignments
> "Log on as a batch job"
>
> Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user account
> has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
> won't exist when no one is logged on.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "whatever" wrote:
> | Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
> is a
> | program that starts backup.
> |
> | Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
> | computer to read the exact message).
> |
> | Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
> |
> | Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.

--

"whatever" <whatever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
is a
> program that starts backup.
>
> Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
> computer to read the exact message).
>
> Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
>
> Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

It's a little difficult to give you a good solution unless you
can quote the exact error message, and where you see it.

Whatever

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Using task scheduler. The message is "could not start"

Have deleted the task and then added a new task. Scheduler used to work but
it now always displays "could not start"

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "whatever" <whatever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
> is a
> > program that starts backup.
> >
> > Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
> > computer to read the exact message).
> >
> > Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
> >
> > Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.
>
> It's a little difficult to give you a good solution unless you
> can quote the exact error message, and where you see it.

This error message is usually generated when the account
credentials (e.g. the password) are incorrect.

> This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and set
the
> time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the message
> "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
> results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".
>
> Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. You may need
> > add the user/ group 'logon as batch job' rights (server side). Control
> > Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights
> > Assignments
> > "Log on as a batch job"
> >
> > Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user
account
> > has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
> > won't exist when no one is logged on.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "whatever" wrote:
> > | Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The
second
> > is a
> > | program that starts backup.
> > |
> > | Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
> > | computer to read the exact message).
> > |
> > | Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
> > |
> > | Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

Whatever

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Would you believe it. the task scheduler started working for no known reason.
Is Microsoft great stuff or what ??

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "whatever" wrote:
> | This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and set
> the
> | time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the message
> | "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
> | results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".
> |
> | Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job

I suspect that there is an excellent reason why it started
working all of a sudden. To assume that the original
problem was Microsoft's fault, in the absence of any
supporting information whatsoever, is a somewhat
bold conclusion. There are a few million machines
out there that work perfectly well, against your single
machine that did not. Now what are the odds . . . ?

> Would you believe it. the task scheduler started working for no known
reason.
> Is Microsoft great stuff or what ??
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "whatever" wrote:
> > | This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and
set
> > the
> > | time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the
message
> > | "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
> > | results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".
> > |
> > | Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job

Whatever

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

The computer is only used for 1 program. It does not receive email and is not
used to browse the internet. There is only 1 user (administrator). The
computer is just used to copy files and backup files. No one has used the
computer or even turned it off. The Task Sheduler worked and then stopped
working then started working. The only change made to the computer is the
addition of SP4 and the many patches that follow the installation of SP4. SP4
and the updates requiring a restart which was done. The Task Scheduler still
did not work BUT the next day it started to work all on it's own. There may
be an excellent reason, could it be magic.