Scheduled task not starting

Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second is a
program that starts backup.

Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
computer to read the exact message).

Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.

Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.
9 answers Last reply
More about scheduled task starting

    Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. You may need to
    add the user/ group 'logon as batch job' rights (server side). Control
    Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights
    Assignments
    "Log on as a batch job"

    Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user account
    has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
    won't exist when no one is logged on.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "whatever" wrote:
    | Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
    is a
    | program that starts backup.
    |
    | Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
    | computer to read the exact message).
    |
    | Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
    |
    | Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

    This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and set the
    time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the message
    "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
    results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".

    Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. You may need to
    > add the user/ group 'logon as batch job' rights (server side). Control
    > Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights
    > Assignments
    > "Log on as a batch job"
    >
    > Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user account
    > has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
    > won't exist when no one is logged on.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "whatever" wrote:
    > | Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
    > is a
    > | program that starts backup.
    > |
    > | Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
    > | computer to read the exact message).
    > |
    > | Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
    > |
    > | Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

    Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.

    --

    "whatever" <whatever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
    is a
    > program that starts backup.
    >
    > Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
    > computer to read the exact message).
    >
    > Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
    >
    > Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

    It's a little difficult to give you a good solution unless you
    can quote the exact error message, and where you see it.

    Using task scheduler. The message is "could not start"

    Have deleted the task and then added a new task. Scheduler used to work but
    it now always displays "could not start"

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "whatever" <whatever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The second
    > is a
    > > program that starts backup.
    > >
    > > Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
    > > computer to read the exact message).
    > >
    > > Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
    > >
    > > Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.
    >
    > It's a little difficult to give you a good solution unless you
    > can quote the exact error message, and where you see it.

    This error message is usually generated when the account
    credentials (e.g. the password) are incorrect.

    > This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and set
    the
    > time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the message
    > "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
    > results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".
    >
    > Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. You may need
    > > add the user/ group 'logon as batch job' rights (server side). Control
    > > Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy\Local Policies\User Rights
    > > Assignments
    > > "Log on as a batch job"
    > >
    > > Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user
    account
    > > has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
    > > won't exist when no one is logged on.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "whatever" wrote:
    > > | Have 2 task scheduled. One is a batch file that copies files. The
    second
    > > is a
    > > | program that starts backup.
    > > |
    > > | Both tasks return an error cannot start or failed to start (not at the
    > > | computer to read the exact message).
    > > |
    > > | Have deleted both task and recreated then with the same results.
    > > |
    > > | Both tasks can be manually started - nothing wrong with the tasks.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Would you believe it. the task scheduler started working for no known reason.
    Is Microsoft great stuff or what ??

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "whatever" wrote:
    > | This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and set
    > the
    > | time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the message
    > | "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
    > | results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".
    > |
    > | Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    I suspect that there is an excellent reason why it started
    working all of a sudden. To assume that the original
    problem was Microsoft's fault, in the absence of any
    supporting information whatsoever, is a somewhat
    bold conclusion. There are a few million machines
    out there that work perfectly well, against your single
    machine that did not. Now what are the odds . . . ?

    > Would you believe it. the task scheduler started working for no known
    reason.
    > Is Microsoft great stuff or what ??
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "whatever" wrote:
    > > | This is being done on 2000 Pro. I will add a new scheduled task and
    set
    > > the
    > > | time. Always login as administrator. At the time for the task the
    message
    > > | "could not start" is displayed. Updated to SP4 and still get the same
    > > | results. What could cause the Scheduler to return "could not start".
    > > |
    > > | Administrator has correct rights - log on as batch job

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The computer is only used for 1 program. It does not receive email and is not
    used to browse the internet. There is only 1 user (administrator). The
    computer is just used to copy files and backup files. No one has used the
    computer or even turned it off. The Task Sheduler worked and then stopped
    working then started working. The only change made to the computer is the
    addition of SP4 and the many patches that follow the installation of SP4. SP4
    and the updates requiring a restart which was done. The Task Scheduler still
    did not work BUT the next day it started to work all on it's own. There may
    be an excellent reason, could it be magic.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > I suspect that there is an excellent reason why it started
    > working all of a sudden. To assume that the original
    > problem was Microsoft's fault, in the absence of any
    > supporting information whatsoever, is a somewhat
    > bold conclusion. There are a few million machines
    > out there that work perfectly well, against your single
    > machine that did not. Now what are the odds . . . ?
    >

    > "whatever" <whatever@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Would you believe it. the task scheduler started working for no known
    > reason.
    > > Is Microsoft great stuff or what ??
    > >
    > > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Check the Scheduled Tasks log. Check Event Viewer for errors.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > set