PC wont start after Maintainace!

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi, I just built my new System this summer. Its been working beautifully till now. I've taken it up to school and back w/no problems. So today i decided to add a new fan and some cable sleeving. After i'm finished i plug everything back in and NOTHING HAPPENS! A weird thing happens though when i plug the 24 pin connector to the motherboard lightly at a weird angle the fans start to spin and the computer seems to boot up, but as soon as i plug it in all they way, it all goes dark and wont power up. I'm hopeless at this point and dont know what to do short of taking it to a shop.

My Rig:
Gigabyte S5 Motherboard
AMD x2 4200 (AM2)
Cooler master 400W PSU

Athalus_nubie

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hey mate, Dont sound to me like your PSU has died. At least not completly, if it had you wouldnt be able to power the rig up at all, wheras you say if you insert the connector at a weird angle you can get it to power up. have you checked to make sure all the wires on the 24 pin connector are still properly attached?
short of that, see if you can borrow another PSU and see if the problem persists.
Let us know how you get on!

/TILT/

My guess would be that there's an open (vs. a short) somewhere. Did you stress the cables or connectors when installing the sleeving? A PSU tester may identify the line(s) that are bad. You may or may not be able to replace them. Since you just built your system, the PSU may still be under warranty. Alternatively, especially if there's no warranty, you may be able to replace the broken line(s) but you may need to solder in your PSU. If you do this, discharge the big caps in it.
A quick test would be to borrow another PSU. If you get the same symptoms, oops maybe you cracked a trace on your mobo when you pulled off the power connection.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Allright, its no the PSU (i dont think) i took it to a local shop and the man there said that i prbly fried the Motherboard. I sent it back and am expecting a new one this week. I sleeved all the cables from my PSU but its nothing really extreme. I tried EVERYTHING when re-plugging everything back in. MY fingers are sore from plugging in and removing everything a million times. Ill let you know what happens when the new Mobo comes.

BTW what are the odds that i shorted my CPU?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Allright, its no the PSU (i dont think) i took it to a local shop and the man there said that i prbly fried the Motherboard. I sent it back and am expecting a new one this week. I sleeved all the cables from my PSU but its nothing really extreme. I tried EVERYTHING when re-plugging everything back in. MY fingers are sore from plugging in and removing everything a million times. Ill let you know what happens when the new Mobo comes.

BTW what are the odds that i shorted my CPU?

the cpu. shorted.

possiable but doughtful.

goodluck.