Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ANN: Tilt Pan Software for Logitech Sphere / Orbit

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

LogiSphere
Software to control the Logitech Sphere / Orbit USB camera over the web

Looking around on the web I did not find any software which covered my
needs to control this piece of hardware. As many other people out there,
I wanted to control this camera over the web using any browser.

I started to write my own software.

Features:
- tilt pan control
- optional live webcam pictures
- web server included
- runs on any windows system with the .NET framework installed
- supports any webcam (although tilt/pan is only possible with the Logitech
PTZ camera)

You can get the software here:
http://logisphere.seiz.ch
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:08:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:17:01 +0200, Stefan Seiz
<logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote:

>LogiSphere
>Software to control the Logitech Sphere / Orbit USB camera over the web
>
>Looking around on the web I did not find any software which covered my
>needs to control this piece of hardware. As many other people out there,
>I wanted to control this camera over the web using any browser.
>
>I started to write my own software.
>
>Features:
>- tilt pan control
>- optional live webcam pictures
>- web server included
>- runs on any windows system with the .NET framework installed
>- supports any webcam (although tilt/pan is only possible with the Logitech
>PTZ camera)
>
>You can get the software here:
>http://logisphere.seiz.ch

I gave it a try and it is interesting. The javapull page is very
similar to a setup I have at the below link using webcam2000. On
the options page the "listed" needs to be default unchecked. If
it is checked, the localhost test buttons will never work. I'd be
interested in an addition where a wuery string value could be
added to the frame request which would send some bytes out the
com port to switch a switcher prior to supplying a frame.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:52:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Si Ballenger wrote:

>
> I gave it a try and it is interesting.
Thank you for trying.

> On the options page the "listed" needs to be default unchecked. If
> it is checked, the localhost test buttons will never work.

Once the server is started, the localhost button will always work.
if the server is not started, you'll get an error message as in
http://localhost:12345/there_is_no_such_service

The 'listed' checkbox does not have much effect for now.
In future versions this will allow to get your camera listed on
http://logisphere.seiz.ch

> I'd be interested in an addition where a wuery string value could be
> added to the frame request which would send some bytes out the
> com port to switch a switcher prior to supplying a frame.

for now I will complete the software as planned.

Features as
- motion detection
- local save
- timed shots
- ftp upload

will be implemented next

Support for other devices is somewhere in the future

----------------------------------------------------
http://logisphere.seiz.ch
----------------------------------------------------
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:11:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

looked interesting,,, until...
It started popping a spam window pop-under & some hooky full screen search
page, an adult page, etc. as I fight to close everything to keep more from
coming. Appears freeware is not always freeware.
..


"Stefan Seiz" <logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote in message
news:D 3ge7u$1it$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> LogiSphere
> Software to control the Logitech Sphere / Orbit USB camera over the web
>
> Looking around on the web I did not find any software which covered my
> needs to control this piece of hardware. As many other people out there,
> I wanted to control this camera over the web using any browser.
>
> I started to write my own software.
>
> Features:
> - tilt pan control
> - optional live webcam pictures
> - web server included
> - runs on any windows system with the .NET framework installed
> - supports any webcam (although tilt/pan is only possible with the
> Logitech
> PTZ camera)
>
> You can get the software here:
> http://logisphere.seiz.ch
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:44:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:52:36 +0200, Stefan Seiz
<logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote:

>Si Ballenger wrote:
>
>>
>> I gave it a try and it is interesting.
>Thank you for trying.
>
>> On the options page the "listed" needs to be default unchecked. If
>> it is checked, the localhost test buttons will never work.
>
>Once the server is started, the localhost button will always work.
>if the server is not started, you'll get an error message as in
>http://localhost:12345/there_is_no_such_service

The server won't start.

>The 'listed' checkbox does not have much effect for now.
>In future versions this will allow to get your camera listed on
>http://logisphere.seiz.ch

Now I'm curious about your designing the software as that isn't
what the button does. ;-)

>> I'd be interested in an addition where a wuery string value could be
>> added to the frame request which would send some bytes out the
>> com port to switch a switcher prior to supplying a frame.
>
>for now I will complete the software as planned.
>
>Features as
> - motion detection
> - local save
> - timed shots
> - ftp upload
>
>will be implemented next
>
>Support for other devices is somewhere in the future
>
>----------------------------------------------------
>http://logisphere.seiz.ch
>----------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:59:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

bumtracks wrote:

> looked interesting,,, until...
> It started popping a spam window pop-under & some hooky full screen search
> page, an adult page, etc.

What ever popped up on your end, it has nothing to do with LogiSphere.

LogiSphere will make no registry entries and keep all its files in one
directory.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:44:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:11:45 GMT, "bumtracks"
<visiting@corner.bar> wrote:

> looked interesting,,, until...
>It started popping a spam window pop-under & some hooky full screen search
>page, an adult page, etc. as I fight to close everything to keep more from
>coming. Appears freeware is not always freeware.

You've got some other issue going on with your computer. I
installed it and did not see those things.

>"Stefan Seiz" <logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote in message
>news:D 3ge7u$1it$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>> LogiSphere
>> Software to control the Logitech Sphere / Orbit USB camera over the web
>>
>> Looking around on the web I did not find any software which covered my
>> needs to control this piece of hardware. As many other people out there,
>> I wanted to control this camera over the web using any browser.
>>
>> I started to write my own software.
>>
>> Features:
>> - tilt pan control
>> - optional live webcam pictures
>> - web server included
>> - runs on any windows system with the .NET framework installed
>> - supports any webcam (although tilt/pan is only possible with the
>> Logitech
>> PTZ camera)
>>
>> You can get the software here:
>> http://logisphere.seiz.ch
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:10:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Si Ballenger wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:52:36 +0200, Stefan Seiz
> <logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote:
>
>>Si Ballenger wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I gave it a try and it is interesting.
>>Thank you for trying.
>>
>
> The server won't start.
>
Hi Si Ballenger

maybe you should give it another try.
Today I released version 0.6.1 with major improvements compared to the
version you have.

http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:10:07 +0200, Stefan Seiz
<logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote:

>Si Ballenger wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:52:36 +0200, Stefan Seiz
>> <logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote:
>>
>>>Si Ballenger wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> I gave it a try and it is interesting.
>>>Thank you for trying.
>>>
>>
>> The server won't start.
>>
>Hi Si Ballenger
>
>maybe you should give it another try.
>Today I released version 0.6.1 with major improvements compared to the
>version you have.
>
>http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/

I downloaded the new version and I noticed two problems, one old
and one new. The old problem I've previously mentioned is that on
the options tab the "listed" box is checked by default. This
causes the webserver to fail to start when clicked on the server
tab page. With this box checked, the program tries to resolve any
url listed in the program using the dns server used by the
computers tcp/ip setup. This is causing the webserver startup to
fail, as the dns server cannot resolve the "localhost" default
urls you have loaded in the progaram. Unchecking the "listed" box
takes the dns server connection out of the picture and allows the
"localhosts" urls to be resolved appropriately to 127.0.0.1. I
suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
this will probably cause the casual user much fustration. The
second problem is that when a video capture device is selected,
the source button on the server page does not work. This may not
be a problem with a single logitech cam, but would be a problem
later if you want to expand your program beyond just the logitech
cam. The program recognizes my winnov capture card, my intel
webcam, and my brooktree based capture card. Using the source
button one should be able to select between the three video
inputs on the winnov card and the brooktree card.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:06:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Si Ballenger wrote:


>>maybe you should give it another try.
>>Today I released version 0.6.1 with major improvements compared to the
>>version you have.
>>
>>http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/
>
> I downloaded the new version

thank you for testing.

> and I noticed two problems, one old
> and one new. The old problem I've previously mentioned is that on
> the options tab the "listed" box is checked by default. This
> causes the webserver to fail to start when clicked on the server
> tab page. With this box checked, the program tries to resolve any
> url listed in the program using the dns server used by the
> computers tcp/ip setup. This is causing the webserver startup to
> fail, as the dns server cannot resolve the "localhost" default
> urls you have loaded in the progaram.

Oh - there's a misunderstanding. When listed is checked, your camera
will be listed on
http://logisphere.seiz.ch/cameras/
To make sure the camera is working, the logisphere server connects
back to you. If that fails, your end stops so you have a chance
to fix your side (eighter the URLs, your router, firewall, port number
or whatever it takes for your computer to be reachable from the net)
It is not the LogiSphere server on your computer that fails, it's
that your address (localhost or whatever else) was not visible from
the internet.

> I suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
> this will probably cause the casual user much fustration.

OK, hope I'll change that on the next release.

> The second problem is that when a video capture device is selected,
> the source button on the server page does not work.

The source button on the server page is to change settings of
the camera device selected on the device page.
(for the logitech driver it's white balance, brightness and the like)
When you use other camera software, can you change those settings
within the software with the devices you are using?
I tested with varous Logitech cams, and a Cameo AV frame grabber.
It worked with these devices.

> This may not
> be a problem with a single logitech cam, but would be a problem
> later if you want to expand your program beyond just the logitech
> cam.
I see you anticipate my plans ;-)

> The program recognizes my winnov capture card, my intel
> webcam, and my brooktree based capture card. Using the source
> button one should be able to select between the three video
> inputs on the winnov card and the brooktree card.

Nice to hear the software works with all those video devices.

As mentioned above, the source button is to change settings of one
device, not to select the camera. Choose the camera on the devices page.
I will add tooltips to make this more clear (and probably write
documentation for it)

Thank you again for your testing and long reply

Stefan Seiz
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:09:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:06:48 +0200, Stefan Seiz
<logisphere@seiz.ch> wrote:

>Si Ballenger wrote:
>
>
>>>maybe you should give it another try.
>>>Today I released version 0.6.1 with major improvements compared to the
>>>version you have.
>>>
>>>http://logisphere.seiz.ch/download/
>>
>> I downloaded the new version
>
>thank you for testing.
>
>> and I noticed two problems, one old
>> and one new. The old problem I've previously mentioned is that on
>> the options tab the "listed" box is checked by default. This
>> causes the webserver to fail to start when clicked on the server
>> tab page. With this box checked, the program tries to resolve any
>> url listed in the program using the dns server used by the
>> computers tcp/ip setup. This is causing the webserver startup to
>> fail, as the dns server cannot resolve the "localhost" default
>> urls you have loaded in the progaram.
>
>Oh - there's a misunderstanding. When listed is checked, your camera
>will be listed on
>http://logisphere.seiz.ch/cameras/
>To make sure the camera is working, the logisphere server connects
>back to you. If that fails, your end stops so you have a chance
>to fix your side (eighter the URLs, your router, firewall, port number
>or whatever it takes for your computer to be reachable from the net)
>It is not the LogiSphere server on your computer that fails, it's
>that your address (localhost or whatever else) was not visible from
>the internet.

The unannounced attempt to connect to a server on the net when
your program is initally started will give many the impression
that it contains spyware that is trying to "call home" with out
prior approval.

>> I suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
>> this will probably cause the casual user much fustration.
>
>OK, hope I'll change that on the next release.

That should allow the program to be successfully tested when it
is started up.

>> The second problem is that when a video capture device is selected,
>> the source button on the server page does not work.
>
>The source button on the server page is to change settings of
>the camera device selected on the device page.
>(for the logitech driver it's white balance, brightness and the like)
>When you use other camera software, can you change those settings
>within the software with the devices you are using?
>I tested with varous Logitech cams, and a Cameo AV frame grabber.
>It worked with these devices.
>
>> This may not
>> be a problem with a single logitech cam, but would be a problem
>> later if you want to expand your program beyond just the logitech
>> cam.
>I see you anticipate my plans ;-)
>
>> The program recognizes my winnov capture card, my intel
>> webcam, and my brooktree based capture card. Using the source
>> button one should be able to select between the three video
>> inputs on the winnov card and the brooktree card.
>
>Nice to hear the software works with all those video devices.
>
>As mentioned above, the source button is to change settings of one
>device, not to select the camera. Choose the camera on the devices page.
>I will add tooltips to make this more clear (and probably write
>documentation for it)

On capture cards/devices that have more than one video input on
the card (composite, S-video, tv tuner, etc.) the source function
also allows the selection of the input that is desired to be
used. This function will be needed if the program is to be used
with capture cards like the WinTV, generic brooktree chip based
cards, and others. The driver for the particular capture device
supplys the "source" interface for switching the inputs.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 2:47:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Si Ballenger wrote:

>
> The unannounced attempt to connect to a server on the net when
> your program is initally started will give many the impression
> that it contains spyware that is trying to "call home" with out
> prior approval.

I agree. This was on my ToDo list, but I had to figure out first
how to handle it.

Added a popup which informs the user what information is sent
where for what purpose. This will be visible on program start
as long as there is no config.txt (never saved options).

>
>>> I suggest you make the default for the "listed" be unchecked, as
>>> this will probably cause the casual user much fustration.
>>
>>OK, I'll change that on the next release.
>
> That should allow the program to be successfully tested when it
> is started up.
Hope so ;-)
>
> On capture cards/devices that have more than one video input on
> the card (composite, S-video, tv tuner, etc.) the source function
> also allows the selection of the input that is desired to be
> used. This function will be needed if the program is to be used
> with capture cards like the WinTV, generic brooktree chip based
> cards, and others. The driver for the particular capture device
> supplys the "source" interface for switching the inputs.
Whether there is any response on the 'Source' button or not is beyond
my control, as I use a commercial OCX

--
----------------------------------------------------
http://logisphere.seiz.ch
----------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Hi

Just got this software today. Wanna test it and probubly to use it on
my website... Pan/Tilt seems working but camera not... what I'm doing
wrong? Or it's just because of licence which I don't have yet...? :D 
!