Jumbo and Non Jumbo mixed network

SpeedyPaul

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Hi All,

I've got a heterogeneous network of machines. My main machines support jumbo frames but I have a few that don't (WAP, Router, old laptop). I know I can take a cheap < $100 layer 2 jumbo capable router and use one of the jumbo capable machines to route between the jumbo and non jumbo nets.

But is there some way to use a smarter switch (Dell PowerConnect 2716, Linksys SRW2024, etc...) to accomplish that same routing function? I'm guessing the big cisco layer 3 managed switches can do this but I was hoping that there's something a bit cheaper that can do the same thing without being prohibitively expensive.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Your biggest problem is the low security on your old machine.

You still need a router or Seperate AP to connect your older computers. But if the jumbo sees the 11'b it will drop back. Unless there is a way to force the router to stay in jumbo, which I think not. If you need to share files you will be better off with a AP or allow the 11g router to drop back.

I believe the switch will throttle back on the old hardware, so no gain. If I recall properly all hardware must support jumbo frames for it to work.