Strip out the rad and pump, bring in the garden hose!

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Ok, i just had an idea, instead of using a pump and a radiator for a water cooling system, you hook up a garden hose to the reservoir (it would have to be sealed) then have the other end of the loop thats used to recycle the hot water back into the system for re-cooling, draining out the window or into a drain.

Cooling wouldnt be a problem because its all new, cold water coming in from outside. Pump power isnt a problem either because the source is a freakin' hose! much more powerful then the small pump used in most water systems. There are only 3 problems i can think off, 1. a lot of wasted water. 2. not distilled so if theres a leak your screwed. 3. you might have to use bigger tube's in the system because of the increased flow of water.

It would mainly be a poor mans oc'ing system. A really cheap alternative to liquid nitro cooling, it wouldnt work as well, but pretty much ready to go as long as you have a water system already, all you have to do is move some tubes around and cut a hole in your reservoir.

So, um, what do guys think?

PixelPimP

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I've thought about this from time to time,but have yet
to figure out how to loop it back into the house system.
Without that,the waste makes it pointless.The closest
I've thunk up is the toilet tank.Maybe if the output
could be split between other things,like toilet tank,
furnace humidifier,ice maker,fire hydrant,car wash,
waterpark,something.I dunno.Gotta be a way.Ima
go ponderit sumor.. . .

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
What happens when your pipes freeze in the winter? Or if the water main bursts further up your street?

Anyway, the pressure would be too great, unless you constricted it somehow. But still... I think the cost incurred on your water bill would quickly eclipse the cost of a quality WC solution...

Back to the drawing board!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I've thought about this from time to time,but have yet
to figure out how to loop it back into the house system.
Without that,the waste makes it pointless.The closest
I've thunk up is the toilet tank.Maybe if the output
could be split between other things,like toilet tank,
furnace humidifier,ice maker,fire hydrant,car wash,
waterpark,something.I dunno.Gotta be a way.Ima
go ponderit sumor.. . .
Yeah......." Hun...go flush the toilet, my computers starting to run hot". :D

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
has been done before. i think at overclocker.combut im not sure. it ran from the bath tap and emptied into the bath tub was by all accounts very successful but not exactly practical

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
You might as well just go get a 50gal aquarium, and submerse your PC in it. As an added bonus, the PC will heat the water so you don't need a water heater to keep the fish warm!

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Thats a nice idea, but only you have a G5/G7 will you see any improvements from the increased pressure.
I just like the icy water method better, its just more practical.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You might as well just go get a 50gal aquarium, and submerse your PC in it. As an added bonus, the PC will heat the water so you don't need a water heater to keep the fish warm!
Can fishies swim in distilled water?Yes, they can.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
it has been done before around here...
in Vancouver we don't pay for water.. it is free... not suprising since it rains so much...
guy ran teh ater from the tap to his computer then back to teh sink... it worked great for a while... until city had to turn of the water to do maintance... he cam home to a melted MB,

so yes it will work.. very well.. but you will need a backup system incase water get's turned off...

as for preasure... that yo can control a bit... as to how much you open the tap.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I think it is a bad idea for a few reasons. First is that you would be wasting a lot of water and your bill would be outragous. Second is that tap water has minerals that would leave diposites in your system which would result in a loss of performance and corrosion over time. Other than that I think that it would work well for a while. The problem about pressure can be overcome by using a valve. I don't think that flushing the toilet or other water usage would drop the pressure enough to cause a problem. If you decide to do it please post your results.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Um guys. You don't need to flush the toilet constantly if you were to dump the excess water in there. If you open your toilet up that nice tall little tower that the water comes into is hooked to the drain on the tank. It bypasses the plunger and goes into the bowl. That was a feature built into most toilets for years. The only thing you have to be sure of is that the amount of water flowing through the system isn't more then what the pipe can drain out of the toilet tank. Heck I contemplated the house water, as well as the large fish tank about 5 years ago when I got my first water cooling system.

Van doesn't pay for water? I thought for sure you guys would. Up here in Merritt we don't pay for water either, and our tap water can very easily pass for bottled water. I may just rethink the whole ordeal again. :wink:

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Ok, i just had an idea, instead of using a pump and a radiator for a water cooling system, you hook up a garden hose to the reservoir (it would have to be sealed) then have the other end of the loop thats used to recycle the hot water back into the system for re-cooling, draining out the window or into a drain.

It would mainly be a poor mans oc'ing system.

So, um, what do guys think?

USA no longer has the meaning it once had...........
Now it means U Stupid Asses, America has gone stupid and here's another fine example, by draining the water out of the window or into a drain.
If you require more evidence you need look no further than the newspaper or the evening news on TV, but that one will do just fine for here.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yes, because one American had a new idea that wasn't even unintelligent in the first place, all Americans are stupid.

There is a guy on xtremesystems that uses garden hose and runs about 50 feet of it underground outside and back so the ground acts as his radiator.

MasterLee, I won't even get into it regarding your belligerent ignorance.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
tool_462 said:
Yes, because one American had a new idea that wasn't even unintelligent in the first place, all Americans are stupid.

If you require more evidence you need look no further than the newspaper or the evening news on TV, but that one will do just fine for here.

You surely must be a Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears fan.

It's a stupid waste of water, any leaks and the minerals in it will kill the computer.
I've heard "my 5 year old knows more about computers than me" more times than I can count, so yeah, I guess all Americans are stupid, well most.
Yes you are a tool also.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006

There is a guy on xtremesystems that uses garden hose and runs about 50 feet of it underground outside and back so the ground acts as his radiator.

MasterLee, I won't even get into it regarding your belligerent ignorance.

By the way, I have 3 gallons in my system, water at 35 degrees F, or any temp that I choose..........ignorant, I guess so, broken tool.

Defining a nation as regards to idiot individuals is also considered stupid. Do you consider all Japanese to be like Tojo or all Germans to be like Hitler? If not, I'd strongly suggest you stop posting your stereotypical views and consider the proverb "Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
And before you lump me in with the other, "stupid Americans", please be aware, I'm St. Lucian.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Paris Hilton and Britney Spears? Do you know what Tool is? You don't cross over being a Tool fan and a Paris Hilton fan. Though you already knew that being a "Master" and all.

Again, I don't feel a PC Hardware forum is the place to bash countries, take it somewhere else.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I didnt really mean it as a long term cooling solution, just something that you would do if you needed alot of cooling power really fast and cheaply (dont see that water bill until the end of the month, so theres no cost right away). its like liquid nitrongen, who uses it as there main cooling solution for their pc? nobody becasue it isnt very pratical, and it would get expensive really fast, but they use it when there going on suicide oc'ing runs because it can cool your cpu to under -200c fairly easilly.

wow, thats awesome! must have taken forever to bury that hose though.

and tool fuckin' rocks.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
8) Tool does rock. Literally.

I am currently trying to dig up the (pun?) thread about the buried hose radiator. I also saw one there with a toilet bowl as his radiator lol. Just flush and he had a new supply of cool water when temps started to climb.