Sign in with
Your question

Strip out the rad and pump, bring in the garden hose!

Last response: in Overclocking
December 22, 2006 6:54:13 AM

Ok, i just had an idea, instead of using a pump and a radiator for a water cooling system, you hook up a garden hose to the reservoir (it would have to be sealed) then have the other end of the loop thats used to recycle the hot water back into the system for re-cooling, draining out the window or into a drain.

Cooling wouldnt be a problem because its all new, cold water coming in from outside. Pump power isnt a problem either because the source is a freakin' hose! much more powerful then the small pump used in most water systems. There are only 3 problems i can think off, 1. a lot of wasted water. 2. not distilled so if theres a leak your screwed. 3. you might have to use bigger tube's in the system because of the increased flow of water.

It would mainly be a poor mans oc'ing system. A really cheap alternative to liquid nitro cooling, it wouldnt work as well, but pretty much ready to go as long as you have a water system already, all you have to do is move some tubes around and cut a hole in your reservoir.

So, um, what do guys think?
December 22, 2006 7:30:42 AM

Lmao. The pressure running through the system would be intense.
December 22, 2006 7:40:05 AM

I've thought about this from time to time,but have yet
to figure out how to loop it back into the house system.
Without that,the waste makes it pointless.The closest
I've thunk up is the toilet tank.Maybe if the output
could be split between other things,like toilet tank,
furnace humidifier,ice maker,fire hydrant,car wash,
waterpark,something.I dunno.Gotta be a way.Ima
go ponderit sumor.. . .
December 22, 2006 7:52:22 AM

What happens when your pipes freeze in the winter? Or if the water main bursts further up your street?

Anyway, the pressure would be too great, unless you constricted it somehow. But still... I think the cost incurred on your water bill would quickly eclipse the cost of a quality WC solution...

Back to the drawing board!
December 22, 2006 8:19:15 AM

Quote:
I've thought about this from time to time,but have yet
to figure out how to loop it back into the house system.
Without that,the waste makes it pointless.The closest
I've thunk up is the toilet tank.Maybe if the output
could be split between other things,like toilet tank,
furnace humidifier,ice maker,fire hydrant,car wash,
waterpark,something.I dunno.Gotta be a way.Ima
go ponderit sumor.. . .
Yeah......." Hun...go flush the toilet, my computers starting to run hot". :D 
December 22, 2006 9:42:23 AM

has been done before. i think at overclocker.combut im not sure. it ran from the bath tap and emptied into the bath tub was by all accounts very successful but not exactly practical
December 22, 2006 2:22:01 PM

You might as well just go get a 50gal aquarium, and submerse your PC in it. As an added bonus, the PC will heat the water so you don't need a water heater to keep the fish warm!
December 22, 2006 2:31:18 PM

Quote:
You might as well just go get a 50gal aquarium, and submerse your PC in it. As an added bonus, the PC will heat the water so you don't need a water heater to keep the fish warm!
Can fishies swim in distilled water?
December 22, 2006 2:37:00 PM

Quote:
You'd have to buy Seagate drives....then you have Barracuda in your aquarium. :D 
December 22, 2006 2:39:38 PM

Thats a nice idea, but only you have a G5/G7 will you see any improvements from the increased pressure.
I just like the icy water method better, its just more practical.
December 22, 2006 2:48:56 PM

Quote:
Can fishies swim in distilled water?Yes, they can.
December 22, 2006 2:52:46 PM

Well it might not be cooking oil, but im sure the mobo would feel comfortable swimming in it :D 
December 22, 2006 3:29:35 PM

it has been done before around here...
in Vancouver we don't pay for water.. it is free... not suprising since it rains so much...
guy ran teh ater from the tap to his computer then back to teh sink... it worked great for a while... until city had to turn of the water to do maintance... he cam home to a melted MB,

so yes it will work.. very well.. but you will need a backup system incase water get's turned off...

as for preasure... that yo can control a bit... as to how much you open the tap.
December 22, 2006 3:31:53 PM

I think it is a bad idea for a few reasons. First is that you would be wasting a lot of water and your bill would be outragous. Second is that tap water has minerals that would leave diposites in your system which would result in a loss of performance and corrosion over time. Other than that I think that it would work well for a while. The problem about pressure can be overcome by using a valve. I don't think that flushing the toilet or other water usage would drop the pressure enough to cause a problem. If you decide to do it please post your results.
December 22, 2006 4:09:12 PM

Um guys. You don't need to flush the toilet constantly if you were to dump the excess water in there. If you open your toilet up that nice tall little tower that the water comes into is hooked to the drain on the tank. It bypasses the plunger and goes into the bowl. That was a feature built into most toilets for years. The only thing you have to be sure of is that the amount of water flowing through the system isn't more then what the pipe can drain out of the toilet tank. Heck I contemplated the house water, as well as the large fish tank about 5 years ago when I got my first water cooling system.

Van doesn't pay for water? I thought for sure you guys would. Up here in Merritt we don't pay for water either, and our tap water can very easily pass for bottled water. I may just rethink the whole ordeal again. :wink:
December 22, 2006 4:40:08 PM

Quote:
Ok, i just had an idea, instead of using a pump and a radiator for a water cooling system, you hook up a garden hose to the reservoir (it would have to be sealed) then have the other end of the loop thats used to recycle the hot water back into the system for re-cooling, draining out the window or into a drain.

It would mainly be a poor mans oc'ing system.

USA no longer has the meaning it once had...........
Now it means U Stupid Asses, America has gone stupid and here's another fine example, by draining the water out of the window or into a drain.
If you require more evidence you need look no further than the newspaper or the evening news on TV, but that one will do just fine for here.
December 22, 2006 4:51:45 PM

Yes, because one American had a new idea that wasn't even unintelligent in the first place, all Americans are stupid.

There is a guy on xtremesystems that uses garden hose and runs about 50 feet of it underground outside and back so the ground acts as his radiator.

MasterLee, I won't even get into it regarding your belligerent ignorance.
December 22, 2006 5:03:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, because one American had a new idea that wasn't even unintelligent in the first place, all Americans are stupid.

If you require more evidence you need look no further than the newspaper or the evening news on TV, but that one will do just fine for here.

You surely must be a Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears fan.

It's a stupid waste of water, any leaks and the minerals in it will kill the computer.
I've heard "my 5 year old knows more about computers than me" more times than I can count, so yeah, I guess all Americans are stupid, well most.
Yes you are a tool also.
December 22, 2006 5:10:28 PM

Quote:

There is a guy on xtremesystems that uses garden hose and runs about 50 feet of it underground outside and back so the ground acts as his radiator.

MasterLee, I won't even get into it regarding your belligerent ignorance.

By the way, I have 3 gallons in my system, water at 35 degrees F, or any temp that I choose..........ignorant, I guess so, broken tool.
December 22, 2006 5:12:17 PM

Defining a nation as regards to idiot individuals is also considered stupid. Do you consider all Japanese to be like Tojo or all Germans to be like Hitler? If not, I'd strongly suggest you stop posting your stereotypical views and consider the proverb "Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
And before you lump me in with the other, "stupid Americans", please be aware, I'm St. Lucian.
December 22, 2006 5:12:22 PM

Paris Hilton and Britney Spears? Do you know what Tool is? You don't cross over being a Tool fan and a Paris Hilton fan. Though you already knew that being a "Master" and all.

Again, I don't feel a PC Hardware forum is the place to bash countries, take it somewhere else.
December 22, 2006 5:14:01 PM

Thank you Ninja. MasterLee, what did that post even mean? I have about 2/3 of a gallon in mine... relevant to what?
December 22, 2006 5:14:27 PM

I didnt really mean it as a long term cooling solution, just something that you would do if you needed alot of cooling power really fast and cheaply (dont see that water bill until the end of the month, so theres no cost right away). its like liquid nitrongen, who uses it as there main cooling solution for their pc? nobody becasue it isnt very pratical, and it would get expensive really fast, but they use it when there going on suicide oc'ing runs because it can cool your cpu to under -200c fairly easilly.

Quote:

wow, thats awesome! must have taken forever to bury that hose though.

and tool fuckin' rocks.
December 22, 2006 5:22:02 PM

8) Tool does rock. Literally.

I am currently trying to dig up the (pun?) thread about the buried hose radiator. I also saw one there with a toilet bowl as his radiator lol. Just flush and he had a new supply of cool water when temps started to climb.
December 22, 2006 5:22:22 PM

I haven't used a garden hose. But I have eliminated the radiator and internal reservoir. I'm using a $20 pond & statue submersible pump
I got from the local home centers garden shop. Instead of a radiator & fan I'm using a 3 1/2 gallon metal bucket that sits on the floor. I'm also using regular tap water. Processor is an 3.2 ghz P4 Prescott oc'd to 3.9 ghz. At full load temp is 40c. I've been doing this for 3 years now. So far there is no corrosion or any other kind of build up. The only negative is that the bucket loses about a gallon of water every 2 day due to evaporation. :D 
December 22, 2006 5:34:08 PM

Don't recall talking to you.
Anyway I live in NY, USA okay, so I do know what's going on in this country, and it's a damn shame the things people are doing and trying to get away with.
December 22, 2006 5:37:59 PM

With Chimpy-Mcflightsuit in office right now the USA does suck pretty bad , but where not all idiots, just bush. and the people who voted for him. and the mantee's, they suck too.
December 22, 2006 5:43:56 PM

So you are stupid too. Well put together posts, lack of knowledge or experience kicked your ass on this one. Seems many people have done this sort of thing and it works fine.

Corrosion? 3 years and still going strong...

Go to xtremesystems and do a search for "garden hose" and read some of the threads, I would link to some but I'm a stupid American.
December 22, 2006 5:51:07 PM

Quote:
Don't recall talking to you.
Anyway I live in NY, USA okay, so I do know what's going on in this country, and it's a damn shame the things people are doing and trying to get away with.

I don't recall you having the focking choice. This being a public forum and all. So you will give me an actual, well thought out, and perhaps, if your remaining brain cells are firing correctly, a witty answer. But I'm not going to hold my breath.
December 22, 2006 5:53:35 PM

Quote:

I don't recall you having the fucking choice. This being a

interestiing way to get past the block.
Quote:
Might want to not do too much of it though...
agreed.
December 22, 2006 5:55:41 PM

Might want to not do too much of it though...
December 22, 2006 5:56:33 PM

Everyone hates you....even your mother....now go away and never return!

You fail at life and you fail as an American Citizen, now leave your computer and wonder the streets of New York alongside the city's forgotten people who savor every meal they dig from the trash, because that is where trash like you belong!
December 22, 2006 5:58:17 PM

Ninja, don't expect much. MasterLee is far from witty or intelligent, maybe because he is an American.

But what do I know, I'm just a "broken tool" and apparently that is supposed to be an insult of some sort...

/sarcasm
December 22, 2006 5:59:43 PM

I foresee and influx of n00bs in the coming week. This is only the prelude to a flood.
December 22, 2006 6:58:03 PM

Hey now. No need to insult the homeless or less fortunate people of the world by grouping them along side Master-bater Lee. I too have been to a couple of 3rd world countries. Most people here in NA really haven't got a clue how bad the rest of the world is. We can consider it both a blessing and a curse. We are blessed with the high standard of living that we enjoy, but at the same time we are cursed because people outside of North America hate us for that. Call it envy, or whatever, but they do resent us for it. Not much we can do but be happy that we are here, and not stuck in some country where people get to eat a single meal every couple of days or so if they are lucky.

Not much of a difference between us up here in Canada and our southern neighbors in the States. Both countries enjoy a fabulous lifestyle for which we are truely blessed. What really pisses me off, is when people immigrate to our countries and insult us for things not being like "back home" We have our own religeons, customs and such. Anyone here ever watch the Comedian Russell Peters? He hit the nail on the head abbout immigrants coming into North America. Watch his DVD titled "Outsourced" and you'll understand.
December 22, 2006 8:09:29 PM

Good said rhinofart. Now lets not talk about it any more, because its not worth it to get angry on MasterLee, ignoring is a better thing to do :wink:

About the idea with the garden hose, its a perfect idea to test on a old computer so you can see how it works. If its a succes you can considder it to use it in your main rig. If it aint a succes, you are lucky you didnt wasted your main rig ^^
December 22, 2006 8:17:13 PM

Quote:
About the idea with the garden hose, its a perfect idea to test on a old computer so you can see how it works. If its a succes you can considder it to use it in your main rig. If it aint a succes, you are lucky you didnt wasted your main rig ^^

right, so which should i water cool first, the macbook, the emac, or the barley working sawtooth g4?
December 22, 2006 8:18:33 PM

I leave that choice entirely up to you :lol: 
December 22, 2006 8:22:16 PM

Quote:
I leave that choice entirely up to you :lol: 

hmm, im not cutting into a new, $1400 laptop, the emac has alot od sentimental value to it, and i really dont want to run the risk of having 10,000v's of electricity surge through me from the crt, and the sawtooth is a printer stand right now and i dont have a monitor for it. i guess the xbox 360 has to take a bullet for the rest of the team.
December 22, 2006 8:24:45 PM

lol, i thought you maybe had some old pc somewhere. But if you dont, then i wouldnt try it. Unless you have a very good plan on doing it.

But all i can say is: Good luck! :D 
December 22, 2006 8:34:45 PM

Quote:
Unless you have a very good plan on doing it.

im about half convinced that i should do it, but my "plan" if you could call it that pretty much sucks, im going to buy a cheap ass water block, strap it to the cpu on the 360, then use a crapload of duct tape, super glue, and water proof chaulking to attach a hose (the other end screwedto the kicken sink) the the end of some tubeing, then have the water draining into a tub or something. i dont really know how i would figure out if its working or not though, there isnt a temp monitor for the 360 is there? and i would have to get a hose. maybe i should give this a little more thought before i start hacking up a console. more planning and maybe ill use that old N64 i have in my closet instead.
December 22, 2006 8:37:01 PM

ok, after reading my last post i think i should get more then 3.5 hours of sleep (fell asleep at 7 this morning, got up at around 10:30-11:00.) before i start to do anything.
December 22, 2006 8:41:00 PM

I dont exactly know what you want to do with the duct tape. (darn this is one of those moments when i get annoyed by the fact my english is really bad :lol:  )

Well, what i want to say i just cant explain in english :oops: 

But to measure the temp of your 360 you have to build in some small temp meter wich fits between the heatsink and the core or something like that.

But before you want to really do this, you should first think it out a little better before you ruin your xbox, maybe make some drawings or something so you can vissualize it for yourself.
December 22, 2006 8:44:01 PM

Well then go to bed :lol: 

I know i will within an hour (its almost 00.00 here), i finally have my vacation so there will be lots of sleep to come :lol: 
December 22, 2006 8:45:20 PM

i think i might buy (or build) a real costom water system for my xbox, then ill attach the hose about 6ft away from the system to avoid damage and see what happens, i have a nice water cooled xbox, and i figure out if the hose thing works! or maybe ill just use my N64 and throw all caution to the wind.
December 22, 2006 8:47:42 PM

Lol, the n64 is almost a collectors item haha, its a long time ago since i played on one of those.

But there wont be much to cool in a n64.. is there?
December 22, 2006 8:52:06 PM

with a solder gun you can volt mod an N64 and oc it, it'll get pretty hot then.
December 22, 2006 9:16:56 PM

Quote:

I think its time to adjust your medication.
December 22, 2006 9:22:58 PM

I liked the idea of running the hose through the lawn as a radiator. Anybody think about just "open looping" the system by using the lawn spriklers?

I can see it now, you can massively overclock, but only for 20 minutes, twice a day.... :lol: 

Or how about using a car radiator? Imagine using a car's water pump on a WC system?
!