I really hate AMD's move now...

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
It happens, and if they keep AM2 mobo's to run AM3 CPU's, how are they supposed to sell AM3 mobo's? It's all business, and it keeps the market and industry alive. With a new socket release, many doors are opened to new tech - and that benefits you, and the rest of the world.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
It happens, and if they keep AM2 mobo's to run AM3 CPU's, how are they supposed to sell AM3 mobo's? It's all business, and it keeps the market and industry alive. With a new socket release, many doors are opened to new tech - and that benefits you, and the rest of the world.
Yet, if and when Intel changes sockets, or forces a new mobo....they're money grubbing pigs, milking their customers for all their worth. :wink:

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Money makes this world tick - and yes, a socket change forces us all to spend our hard earned cash with the next upgrade.

Intel/AMD - don't matter. It's all the same.

But, there is underlying benefit in it, however obscured we allow it to become with money as basis for not liking it...

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
never trust rumors,
have you ever read a statement of AMD where they are telling you AM2 will support AM3?
how often does intel changes socket?
so, it's all the same, intel or AMD
***** happens

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
never trust rumors,
have you ever read a statement of AMD where they are telling you AM2 will support AM3?
***** happens
At best, keeping up with technology is a risky endeaver... and many times leads to kicking oneself in the *ss. It never fails, something changes(like said compatability), you buy something, and the price plummets a week later... or it is outdated before the dust settles on it. :x

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
never trust rumors,
***** happens
At best, keeping up with technology is a risky endeaver... and many times leads to kicking oneself in the *ss. It never fails, something changes(like said compatability), you buy something, and the price plummets a week later... or it is outdated before the dust settles on it. :x
Do I detect some regret, Tanker? :wink: Is there some recent bad purchase you're mulling over?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
never trust rumors,
***** happens
Do I detect some regret, Tanker? :wink: Is there some recent bad purchase you're mulling over?Nothing in particular...but i think it's safe to assume that most of us have been bitten by one or more of these nasty scenarios. :wink:

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Too true, my friend. Too true. I'm fairly good at avoiding the worst of it by sticking to yesterdays good technology. But even a cautious (cheap) fellow like myself has been struck by a poor purchase.

And is it just me, or do other people think that AMD upgrades sockets a lot more often than Intel? I know it's gotta happen sometime, but it seem like Intel has had their socket 775 a lot longer than the AMD's AM2, and it's still maintained it's usefulness. Of course they have new chipsets for the socket (775), but at least it allows backwards-compatibility for the older processors.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I have read a number of times that newer boards will take old AM2, but not vice versa. Suppose there's at least some truth behind this.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Socket AM2 motherboard will not support Socket AM3 CPUs :evil:

Why would you assume otherwise? By limiting newer technology to support older technology you are *limiting* new technology. As I'm fond of saying to the bean counters upstairs, Welcome to the computer industry, things change, get used to it or get out.

Like ZozZoz, I've also heard many times that socket AM3 will support AM2 chips.

BennyB

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
I've read somewhere that the change to AM3 is to support DDR3

I was just about to go AM2 untill I herd this, core duo ftw!

Keep your system for 5 years and get your money's worth. I'm retiring at the end of this year, so I won't be upgrading until I have to. No need to upgrade until your system won't do what you need it for.

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Keep your system for 5 years and get your money's worth. I'm retiring at the end of this year, so I won't be upgrading until I have to. No need to upgrade until your system won't do what you need it for.

Very wise words. Too often we feel pressured to keep up with technology even when we have no need to. Desire is arguably the most powerful emotion.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
i meant a joke because i can't find a translator that works! :D any help? thanks and merry christmas

I try to translate it for you :wink:
The main points of the news: (from the motherboard manufacturers)
1. AMD Stars processors will debut in Q3 2007 with improved micro-architecture from K8. It is also luring JEDEC to standardize DDR-2 1066MHz for the Stars processors.

2. The old K8 architectures are now called Cities family. The new Stars family will include quad-core Agena, dual-core Kuma and a lower end dual-core Rana, single-core Spica.

3. The new Stars family will support Hypertransport 3.0 that the speed to be improved from 2.0GT/s to 5.2GT/s. The instruction fetch for the family will be increased to 32B. Also the branch rediction and Out-of-order load execution will be improved. The core will be capable to run 4 double-precision FLOPS or 4 SSE commands per cycle. Load per cycle is improved. The improved architecture will raise the IPC.

4. Although the improved architecture comes with Socket AM2+, it will be compatible to Socket AM2 products. But according to the official AM2r2 standard, only Socket AM2+ motherboards will support Socket AM3 CPUs but Socket AM2 motherboards will not.

5. Socket AM3 cpus will support both DDR-2 and DDR-3 memory modules. But AMD speculates that the transition to DDR-3 memory will not be fast until 2009.

6. According to JEDEC, 1066MHz memory will only be DDR-3 types. To compete against Intel's Bearlake platform, AMD is adding DDR2-1066 memory support to the Stars family and luring JEDEC to standardize DDR2-1066 memory.

7. AMD will add SSE4A to the Stars family. The major difference between SSE4 and SSE4A will be the Core Architecture optimized codes and the multi-media and games optimizations will not be affected.

8. Stars family will be supposed to be 10% of AMD's market in Q3. The production will be raised to 20% after the introduction of entry-level Rana in Q4. The cross-over of Stars and Cities will be in Q1.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
To help dumb down what the above guy nicely pointed out.

AM2 boards will support AM2+ (not 100% sure about AM3) but at the cost of losing the new features in the AM2+ socket. Which makes sense since you would need a chipset that supports the new features in AM2+. Hope thats easier for the technically inclined to follow.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
many thanks for translating, thank you. amd have screwed everything up atm, im just glad i wont be upgrading for about 3yrs. my current s939 x2 3800 and x1950Pro should suffice for a while, thanks.

i just hope that amd can sort this out, because if there if amd fail and intel grow again then the price will just rise because of zero competition.