Cannot connect to workstation within lan

I created a network connection to accept incomming connections on a
win2000 workstation. Using a windows xp workstation, I cannot connect
to the win200 machine. If I reverse this senerio it works just fine.

What settings could be in place on the win2000 machine that would
refuse incomming connections?

Thanks
Dwight
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot connect workstation

    "Dwight" <dwight@trumbower.com> wrote in message
    > I created a network connection to accept incomming connections on a
    > win2000 workstation. Using a windows xp workstation, I cannot connect
    > to the win200 machine. If I reverse this senerio it works just fine.
    >
    > What settings could be in place on the win2000 machine that would
    > refuse incomming connections?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dwight

    You need to be a little more specific. "Cannot connect" does
    not mean all this much. What happens when you type this
    command from a Command Prompt:

    net use x: \\YourWin2000PC\SomeShare

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > You need to be a little more specific. "Cannot connect" does
    > not mean all this much. What happens when you type this
    > command from a Command Prompt:
    >
    > net use x: \\YourWin2000PC\SomeShare

    The network is a peer-to-peer network. All workstations run xp pro execept one
    machine. Which runs Win 100 pro. The 2000 machine is acting as server. I want to
    VPN into this machine from remote locations. I setup for incomming connections
    and when I test from inside the network, it refuses the connection. If I setup
    an xp workstation and connect from the 2000 machine it works just fine.

    So I'm wondering are there some settings the could be set to refuse incomming
    connections, even though a lan connection has been created to allow the connections.

    Thanks

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > I'm still a little puzzled.
    > - What's a "Win 100 pro"?

    Miss spelled, win 2000 pro

    > - Can you connect to shares on your pseudo-server by using the "net
    use"
    > command I suggested in my first reply?

    Yes

    > - I do not think that you can test a VPN properly while at the same
    time
    > having a direct network connection between the two machines. They
    > would have to be on separate networks that are connected via a
    dial-up
    > modem or via the Internet.

    This could be the problem, I will disconnect the drives and then vpn. I
    bet that is why it is failing.

    > - Did you make sure to turn off all firewalls during testing?
    Yes

    "Dwight" <news@idontwantspamtsystemscorp.com> wrote in message
    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > >
    > > You need to be a little more specific. "Cannot connect" does
    > > not mean all this much. What happens when you type this
    > > command from a Command Prompt:
    > >
    > > net use x: \\YourWin2000PC\SomeShare
    > >

    > The network is a peer-to-peer network. All workstations run xp pro
    execept one
    > machine. Which runs Win 100 pro. The 2000 machine is acting as server. I
    want to
    > VPN into this machine from remote locations. I setup for incomming
    connections
    > and when I test from inside the network, it refuses the connection. If I
    setup
    > an xp workstation and connect from the 2000 machine it works just fine.
    >
    > So I'm wondering are there some settings the could be set to refuse
    incomming
    > connections, even though a lan connection has been created to allow the
    connections.

    > Thanks

    I'm still a little puzzled.
    - What's a "Win 100 pro"?
    - Can you connect to shares on your pseudo-server by using the "net use"
    command I suggested in my first reply?
    - I do not think that you can test a VPN properly while at the same time
    having a direct network connection between the two machines. They
    would have to be on separate networks that are connected via a dial-up
    modem or via the Internet.
    - What is the subnet address of your pseudo-server? And the subnet
    address of the remote machine? They should be on different subnets.
    - Did you make sure to turn off all firewalls during testing?

Network Connection Connection Workstations Windows