Slow explorer response

I have a laptop with Win2K Sp4 on it and have used the inplace upgrade once
in the past to fix a troubled USB driver that was locking up the system. I
also used MMC to reset the security settings and repatched it. I now have a
slow response in opening and closing windows. It seem to be explorer waiting
for something then finally maybe 10 -20 seconds it opens. Even have the
problem when installing new software, the install windows hang for quite a
while. They do eventually open. Any ideas out there. You have all been very
helpful in the past particularly the gurus.

I started getting this issue after installing SP3. Prior to that Windows Explorer opened instamtly. Now it doesn't but doesn't take near as long as you say. One issue that can cause this is Internet Explorer 6 in Windows 2000.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Jack Matthews" <jmatthews@t-graphic.com> wrote in message news:115qvktfidq0lf0@corp.supernews.com...
> I have a laptop with Win2K Sp4 on it and have used the inplace upgrade once
> in the past to fix a troubled USB driver that was locking up the system. I
> also used MMC to reset the security settings and repatched it. I now have a
> slow response in opening and closing windows. It seem to be explorer waiting
> for something then finally maybe 10 -20 seconds it opens. Even have the
> problem when installing new software, the install windows hang for quite a
> while. They do eventually open. Any ideas out there. You have all been very
> helpful in the past particularly the gurus.

Yes I do have IE 6. it hangs somethimes as if it were integrated into
explorer, Also noticed that Acrobat 6 and greater hangs in IE6 on Win2K
boxes.
Any work around for the IE6 issue?
"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I started getting this issue after installing SP3. Prior to that Windows
Explorer opened instamtly. Now it doesn't but doesn't take near as long as
you say. One issue that can cause this is Internet Explorer 6 in Windows
2000.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Jack Matthews" <jmatthews@t-graphic.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with Win2K Sp4 on it and have used the inplace upgrade
once
> in the past to fix a troubled USB driver that was locking up the system. I
> also used MMC to reset the security settings and repatched it. I now have
> slow response in opening and closing windows. It seem to be explorer
waiting
> for something then finally maybe 10 -20 seconds it opens. Even have the
> problem when installing new software, the install windows hang for quite a
> while. They do eventually open. Any ideas out there. You have all been
very
> helpful in the past particularly the gurus.

Remove it. Nope.

--
George Hester