Sign in with
Your question

Difference between C2D's and C2Q's, Questions...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2006 10:53:52 AM

First of all, I've tried looking through the web and the forums, but i couldn't find an answer to my question, i'm sorry if it's allready been asked.

Hey all, I'm building a new PC soon, and i'm having some trouble with the C2D and C2Q specs. My question is the main difference between them (other than the obvious clock speed)

Is an x6800 the same thing as an e6700, just that the x6800 is stock over clocked a bit? I noticed the same thing with the Quadros. Because if an e6700 is the exact same thing as a x6800, just a higher stock clock speed, then i should be able to get just as high of an OC on an x6800 as an e6600 right?

I'm a little confused of this matter, i will be OC'ing my PC on Liquid cooling, and i want to get the highest possible OC, but if i can save some money and get the exact same speed in the end, i will.

Please, someone clear this up for me.

And a second question, i know people are getting 4ghz OC's on the C2D's on air, what do you guys think i can get on Liquid? ( PC build is on this page: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam... )
December 22, 2006 11:08:50 AM

Quote:
First of all, I've tried looking through the web and the forums, but i couldn't find an answer to my question, i'm sorry if it's allready been asked.

Hey all, I'm building a new PC soon, and i'm having some trouble with the C2D and C2Q specs. My question is the main difference between them (other than the obvious clock speed)

Is an x6800 the same thing as an e6700, just that the x6800 is stock over clocked a bit? I noticed the same thing with the Quadros. Because if an e6700 is the exact same thing as a x6800, just a higher stock clock speed, then i should be able to get just as high of an OC on an x6800 as an e6600 right?

I'm a little confused of this matter, i will be OC'ing my PC on Liquid cooling, and i want to get the highest possible OC, but if i can save some money and get the exact same speed in the end, i will.

And a second question, i know people are getting 4ghz OC's on the C2D's on air, what do you guys think i can get on Liquid? ( PC build is on this page: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam... )
Yes, they are basically the same chip. The main difference being, the X6800 has an unlocked(up and down) multiplier,and runs at 2.93GHz(266x11) vs. 2.66GHz(266x10) for E6700. The X6800 should be a better chip binned to run at higher speed, and as such should clock a little higher, and or run at the same speed with lower voltage. Of course the QX6700 has 4 cores, which all run at the same speed as the E6700(266x10).

The QX6700 will be slower than the X6800 in single-threaded apps, as it runs at a slower clock-speed. As far as overclocking with water, hard to say... some people don't even get to 4 GHz with water. The guys hitting 4GHz on air, have cream-of-the-crop chips, and are far from the norm. GL :) 
December 22, 2006 11:19:43 AM

Quote:

Yes, they are basically the same chip. The main difference being, the X6800 has an unlocked(up and down) multiplier,and runs at 2.93GHz(266x11) vs. 2.66GHz(266x10) for E6700. The X6800 should be a better chip binned to run at higher speed, and as such should clock a little higher, and or run at the same speed with lower voltage. Of course the QX6700 has 4 cores, which all run at the same speed as the E6700(266x10).

The QX6700 will be slower than the X6800 in single-threaded apps, as it runs at a slower clock-speed. As far as overclocking with water, hard to say... some people don't even get to 4 GHz with water. The guys hitting 4GHz on air, have cream-of-the-crop chips, and are far from the norm. GL :) 

Couldn't have put it better myself!
!