File Extension

Hi
I need to know if there is a way to do file association thru GPO.
I have not been able to find any documentation about it.

This is the reason why.
Files that were not registered during the creation of the image are not
available for the users.
when the user tries to open a JPG or a GIF for some reason the Microsoft
Photo editor tries to write to the registry. but the users don't have the
rights b/c they were purposely disabled

This is the setup
We currently are blocking users from having access to write or modify the
registry.
The users are not allowed to install any software
All local drives are hidden.

your help is appreciated. Thanks

Really shouldn't be an issue since the user should have full control of HKCU
hive of the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257592

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Nino Chavez" wrote:
| Hi
| I need to know if there is a way to do file association thru GPO.
| I have not been able to find any documentation about it.
|
| This is the reason why.
| Files that were not registered during the creation of the image are not
| available for the users.
| when the user tries to open a JPG or a GIF for some reason the Microsoft
| Photo editor tries to write to the registry. but the users don't have the
| rights b/c they were purposely disabled
|
| This is the setup
| We currently are blocking users from having access to write or modify the
| registry.
| The users are not allowed to install any software
| All local drives are hidden.
|
| your help is appreciated. Thanks

In this particular case when you installed Office you chose to install the PhotoEditor either explicitly or be default. Very bad choice there.

--
George Hester