Java Web Start

I have notived that my Windows XP machines have a program called Java 2
Runtime Enviroment Standard Edition 1.4.2_01. Also a icon called Java web
start. How can I remove the java web start program? Also I noticed the
download feature for the Java console even though the user security policy in
IE prevents downloading but this programs lets you do it. How can I stop
this or at least stop a user form configuring the Java console other than
Admins? Is there a service that runs this like windows update? The only way
I can see to disable the download is manualy configure it. Am I correct on
this? My main question really is can you remove java web start because it
seems pretty usless?

Well I just updated my Sun Runtime Evironment from the Update notification and it took it off my desktop. I actually wanted it.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"George Schneider" <georgedschneider@news.postalias> wrote in message news:E7D85693-1CFE-46A6-AD54-63A27777BC0A@microsoft.com...
> I have notived that my Windows XP machines have a program called Java 2
> Runtime Enviroment Standard Edition 1.4.2_01. Also a icon called Java web
> start. How can I remove the java web start program? Also I noticed the
> download feature for the Java console even though the user security policy in
> IE prevents downloading but this programs lets you do it. How can I stop
> this or at least stop a user form configuring the Java console other than
> Admins? Is there a service that runs this like windows update? The only way
> I can see to disable the download is manualy configure it. Am I correct on
> this? My main question really is can you remove java web start because it
> seems pretty usless?

Hi George,

Thank you for posting here!

I notice that you have posted the same question in our
public.windowsxp.general newsgroup, to which I have already responded.
Please check my answer there, and if you need any further assistance on
this particular issue please reply to me in that thread so I can follow up
with you. In the future, please don't cross-post the same question in
multiple newsgroups. This will help our engineers work on your question
more efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

For your convenience, I have included my reply as follows:

Hi George,

Thank you for posting. Also thanks for all reply.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: How to prevent SUN JRE
from downloading without permission. If this is not correct, please feel
free to let me know.

Please understand that SUN JRE is not a Microsoft Product, you can get more
help from SUN technology support. such as Java Forums or User Groups:

http://java.sun.com/community/index.html

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web
site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from the Internet.

Therefore, I just provide some general advice on this issue:

1. If you don't need SUN JRE, you can uninstall it simply.

2. Try some configuration in your firewall software to stop SUN JRE from
accessing network.

3. Delete or remove SUN JRE Control Panel file jpicpl32.cpl from
%SystemRoot&\system32 folder, to prevent user from changing the automatic
updates setting of SUN JRE.

For more information about Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Support, please
visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

Hope this helps!
--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
<georgedschneider@news.postalias>
>Subject: Java Web Start
>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:39:02 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
>
>I have notived that my Windows XP machines have a program called Java 2
>Runtime Enviroment Standard Edition 1.4.2_01. Also a icon called Java web
>start. How can I remove the java web start program? Also I noticed the
>download feature for the Java console even though the user security policy
in
>IE prevents downloading but this programs lets you do it. How can I stop
>this or at least stop a user form configuring the Java console other than
>Admins? Is there a service that runs this like windows update? The only
way
>I can see to disable the download is manualy configure it. Am I correct
on
>this? My main question really is can you remove java web start because it
>seems pretty usless?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che