Will memory price go up after Vista is released?

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Hi all,

I'm planning tu build a new PC in feb/march next year.
I'm not sure about memory price at that date, do you think that it will go up after Vista is released in january?
Maybe I should buy the parts in january before Vista is released?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm just glad I bought my 2GB of Corsair XMS DDR667 RAM before the price jumped. I dont recall how much I paid, but I do remember checking up on the price 1 or 2 weeks later and the price spiked by $40 to $50. Ouch. I'm glad I bought my RAM when I did.

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
I guess I wouldn't be surprised. But at the same time you must realize that eventually that kind of hype passes. And once the suckers, er, I mean, enthusiasts, have paid inflated prices for their RAM for a few months the DDR2 sellers will be faced with a market that's suddenly saturated. Combine that with the continuous devaluation of old technology and DDR3 on the horizen and when it all blows over you have to imagine that the prices will bust to their lowest point to date.

Bottom line: patience. If you have at least 1GB RAM now you should be safe for Vista. Wait until the eventual bust to get your 2GB+. If you're under 1GB and want to use Vista asap, then, from what I read, it may not be a bad call just getting to that 1GB point asap.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
With those Samsung folks going to jail for price fixing memory, I think that memory makers will be watched a lot closer when Vista is released, to see if another memory price spike happens.

Samsung exec. doing time

So, I think memory might stay flat in prices through Vista release, but then again, there could be one of those "supply" problems, which will increase prices, again.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I believe the memory prices will start to go down next year. I picked up 2 gigs of memory back in the summer for $150.00 and now it will cost you $200.00. 1 gig is about $100.00 when 6 months ago it was around 50-60 bucks. Prices are slowing coming down for DDR and DDR2, so I would say hang in there for a while longer.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Also it should be noted that mainstream sticks have just doubled in capacity... with 2X 2gig packs already out on newegg for about $500 for 4gig set.

Should help to drop prices a bit... :? maybe

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Hi all,

I'm planning tu build a new PC in feb/march next year.
I'm not sure about memory price at that date, do you think that it will go up after Vista is released in january?
Maybe I should buy the parts in january before Vista is released?

What do you think?

Thanks.

I'm looking at HP's cheapest model dx2250 computer, or Dell's E520 about the same time. Then I'll just spend a while working on the one I choose to get something decent out of it. HP's computer is AMD and DDR2 667mhz memory, and Dell's is Intel and DDR2 553mhz memory. The only reason I'm looking at the Dell computer is that it's Core2 capable. Else for the money, the HP computer would be better suited for my needs.

The last sentence was wrote for those who are on a budget. Could be worth it in the long run.

Also, Vista might do weird things to the prices. After Christmas I suspect things will drop, but could stay high for Vista, and afterwards, depending on what sales expectations are, could go up or down. Things are kinda in the air.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Oh, I agree. But with recent price spikes and several memory makers being investigated (and some convicted of) price fixing, it might not bode well for the memory makers to simple raise prices just because of Vista.

Again, the whole "supply" or "production" problems that can occur might be more frequent, to help justify a price spike, over just raising it for no reason. I realize that memory is a needed component, but when the price of DDR2 RAM goes from $200 for 2GB to $275 in one day, and there is still a health supply of said memory, that's more than just supply and demand. That's something else in action.

I hope it doesn't rise anymore, since my last memory purchase was more than the GPU I bought for the same system.