AGP X1950 Pro review at Firingsquad

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Nice........might be worth getting if AGP will continue to be supported for at least another year or two. It did quite well going against the better chipset and memory. The only problem is price in regards to supply and demand. This goes for not only the card but the motherboards that support it.

I already switched over to pci-e but I still have a computer with AGP which im using as a server. I know that someone (read it in this forum) is going to review this card using an older socket A with a Barton 2500+ cpu Nforce2 chipset. It will be interesting to see what the results will be.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Yea kinda missleading in a way. Check out this link for more info about what they mean when they say Vista ready.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

If you have a DX10 card you will be able to take full advantage of the graphic capabilities of vista and other gaming applications. You will be able to use your older DX9 card but just without all the bells and wistles and the programing advantage that DX10 will give the new cards in gaming. That is a pretty basic explanation.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
I was looking at SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X1950 PRO AGP. The box say it Vista ready but it only DirectX 9. To bad it not DirectX 10 card. I'm no expert but I thought if it Vista ready wouldn't it be DirectxX 10 card?

There are many DX9 cards out there that are "Vista ready." While DX10 is supposed to be a big step with Vista and yet DX9 will be supported, so it is not a surprise. Funny though, AGP cards are ready for Vista! :D

Keep in mind that right now there are only two DX 10 GPUs out there and both by Nvidia. And these cards ain't cheap. ATi err AMD? Hello R600?

Of course DX10 is not going to be fully functional for some time ....go figure...and when will we get the DX10 enabled games? crystal ball time.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Of course DX10 is not going to be fully functional for some time ....go figure...and when will we get the DX10 enabled games? crystal ball time.

UT 2007 comes out in June 07... and is DX10... all I care about :wink:

Only reason I am getting the 8800 or better if by end of January.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Guys,

1. There is a nice link at the top of the Graphics Cards forum for Vista discussions;

2. Many believe (and I agree with them) that as in the case of all Microsoft operating systems, Vista - when shipped - will be buggy and messed up for at least a year until the first Service Pack is released;

3. Moreover, it will be at least 4-6 months after Vista ships before reliable drivers are released for existing DX10 cards;

4. A handful of DX10 compliant games will come out during 2007 but it is likely that

- they will run poorly because of Vista bugs;
- DX10 drivers themselves will be buggy

so expected DX10 games are hardly a good reason to either switch to Vista or build a rig around the first generation of DX10 compliant cards.

Personally, I am glad I did not buy Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ as now I can get a better card - the X1950 PRO AGP which will allow me to stick with Windows XP for another year without any problems as DX9 does not look half bad and all DX10 games will support DX9 anyway.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Long time since I've seen you posting.

Vista could not go RTM until they got the bug list down 'under 500'. No mention was made of the seriousness of the 499 bugs... So based on this criteria, yes its buggy.

Vista will probably not be doing 'service packs', just auto updates. Rumour from MSDN...

While I like Vista, I'll personally not use it as primary OS for a fair time. I'll let the Windows Support team at work debug it first...

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Long time since I've seen you posting.

Heh :) I've been reading the forumz though.

While I like Vista, I'll personally not use it as primary OS for a fair time. I'll let the Windows Support team at work debug it first...

Yeah. I'll play with Vista too, but I'll be damned if I use it as my primary OS before 2008...

... and thanks for the heads up on "no SPs for Vista" :)