  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 10:25:32 PM

I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!

More about : question verizon users

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:31:18 AM

"PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
> was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
> subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
> Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
> that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
> minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
> like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
> can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!

Three huge benefits of choosing Cingular over Verizon:

1) ROLLOVER minutes
2) No outrageous billing errors
3) Better choice of handsets, as GSM is so widely used

Add the first 2 up, and it means the END of overage charges. -Dave
(wouldn't go back to Verizon, ever)
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 12:23:59 PM

On 4 Dec 2004 19:25:32 -0800, pgoin25@new.rr.com (PG) wrote:

>I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
>was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
>subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
>Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
>that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
>minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
>like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
>can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!

I'd say COVERAGE should be your primary concern. What good is a perk
like having cinco a certain day as a holiday if your phone has no
coverage?
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 6:03:45 PM

I completely agree, that is why I am probably switching to Cingular.
Verizon in Wisconsin isn't the greatest and I have been having some problems
lately. I am not basing my decision on perks at all, just curious on
whether or not I will be getting things I am acustomed to and whether I
might have some nice surprises. Coverage is definatley my number on
priority.

"Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> I'd say COVERAGE should be your primary concern. What good is a perk
> like having cinco a certain day as a holiday if your phone has no
> coverage?
> --
> To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:57:04 PM

On 4 Dec 2004 19:25:32 -0800, pgoin25@new.rr.com (PG) wrote:

>I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
>was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
>subscriber that you do not get with Cingular

There are probably several, but one that comes to my mind right away
is no 24-hr customer service at Cingular. It's available only during
extended business hours M - F and part of the day Saturday. Problems
on Saturday night or Sunday? You wait until Monday morning to get them
fixed. Also, business customers can't manage their accounts online,
ever. Both of these things are extremely annoying at times.

I agree with the two posters above.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:57:05 PM

For the past year the Cingular web site has been either down or very slow
most of the time. When it is working it has problems like requiring you to
login and start over every other page. Getting current (past 24 hour info)
is very rare but even more so at the end of the billing period. I had no
problems with Verizon but I did pay them a lot more money and it was to the
point of giving up service for a few years. My cost problems mostly roaming
charges that have been address by both companies and are no longer a issue.
I would use either company even with their problems.
December 6, 2004 12:08:28 AM

Cingular phones are better quality, better, sturdier build, which is also
slightly larger. Coverage is a trade-off. Both have holes. Big negative for
me is the fact that when using my phone as a modem for my notebook on
cingular (which I do a lot in my job), data is an extra, expensive charge.
With Verizon, data is minutes. Web site is useless most of the time for
Cingular. The sim phonebook and the phone phonebook woth Cingular take some
getting used to. But it makes it easier to switch off phones, if that is
something you need to do.

"PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
> was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
> subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
> Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
> that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
> minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
> like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
> can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:16:19 AM

On 12/4/04 10:25 PM, in article
9bbf1da1.0412041925.24c44308@posting.google.com, "PG" <pgoin25@new.rr.com>
wrote:

> I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
> was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
> subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
> Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
> that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
> minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
> like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
> can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!

I switched from Verizon and got the best thing of all - phone service that
is reliable!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:54:42 PM

In <i0h6r0llqdtntr1nml63etcpjm5c522rc6@4ax.com> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:23:59
-0800, Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:

>On 4 Dec 2004 19:25:32 -0800, pgoin25@new.rr.com (PG) wrote:
>
>>I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
>>was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
>>subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
>>Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
>>that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
>>minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
>>like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
>>can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!
>
>I'd say COVERAGE should be your primary concern. What good is a perk
>like having cinco a certain day as a holiday if your phone has no
>coverage?

Cingular now has probably the best overall coverage in the USA as a result of
the merger.

December 7, 2004 4:30:33 PM

In article <mG3td.9759$_3.114743@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <i0h6r0llqdtntr1nml63etcpjm5c522rc6@4ax.com> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:23:59
> -0800, Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:
>
> >On 4 Dec 2004 19:25:32 -0800, pgoin25@new.rr.com (PG) wrote:
> >
> >>I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
> >>was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
> >>subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
> >>Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon. I am talking about things
> >>that most people don't think about such as free holidays, checking
> >>minutes used on the web, etc. Holidays are not a big deal, but I do
> >>like to keep track of minutes used on the web. Any other things you
> >>can think of feel free to add in. Thanks!!
> >
> >I'd say COVERAGE should be your primary concern. What good is a perk
> >like having cinco a certain day as a holiday if your phone has no
> >coverage?
>
> Cingular now has probably the best overall coverage in the USA as a result of
> the merger.

Only if you have a phone that uses analog.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 5:29:16 PM

In <jzwick3-6F66F1.07303307122004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Tue, 07 Dec
2004 13:30:33 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <mG3td.9759$_3.114743@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> Cingular now has probably the best overall coverage in the USA as a result of
>> the merger.

>Only if you have a phone that uses analog.

Actually with just GSM.

Back to your corner, Chicken Little. ;-)

December 8, 2004 12:24:59 PM

On 4 Dec 2004 19:25:32 -0800, pgoin25@new.rr.com (PG) wrote:

>I am a current Verizon user thinking about switching to Cingular. I
>was wondering if there are any benefits that you got as a Verizon
>subscriber that you do not get with Cingular or benefits you get from
>Cingular that you didn't get from Verizon.

Benefit: I can use a Bluetooth phone with the Bluetooth hands-free lin
in my car. VZW is starting to wake up and offer Bluetooth phones
(well, A Bluetooth phone), but a year ago when I needed one VZW didn't
have ANY.

Benefit: In my experience, Cingular's customer service is better than
VZW's.

I notice NO difference in the coverage or my ability to make calls. I
spend most of my time in SoCal, but trave to Arizona regularly. At my
house in Tucson, my Cingular phones get better reception than my
Verizon phones did.

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy *or* become Verizon customers.
December 9, 2004 1:02:38 AM

I switched from VZW two weeks ago due to the comfort level I got from
the ATT/Cingular merger. I wouldn't have considered moving before with
the companies as they were a year ago.

I live in a semi-rural area near Lake Tahoe that is very well served by
both VZW and the merged Ciingular. So, it became a matter of economics.
I moved cross-country earlier this year, and since I was off-contract
with VZW, they refused to give me a local phone number without a new
contract. Their EZ-Move is only for customers under contract. My phones
were three years old, so at least new batteries (again) were in order
for each. Decent VZW phones are at least $50, and NE2 is $100 off list
price, not the selling price to new customers. If I went in as a new
customer, I would have to pay activation fees. At least, this is what CS
told me.

I work for a company that has a "deal" with ATT. ATT/Cingular offered
me new phones (ATT-branded), cheaper price monthly for 50% more minutes,
$10 second line and 7 PM nights and weekends. I also get unlimited M2M,
which I didn't have with my VZW account when I signed up, but is
certainly available now as IN. A great feature! I only had 250 shared
M2M minutes. As does VZW, ATT allows you to check minutes used on the
web. Unlike VZW, it doesn't tell you the time it was last updated to the
minute. That's one minor feature that I miss. VZW was usually about 3
days behind with my account after I moved. Before that, it would usually
update within the hour.

So, I canned my Verizon account yesterday since I'm happy with
ATT/Cingular coverage. I had been with VZW for about 5 years and my wife
was with them for even longer. She still has her BAM-101 analog phone. I
like VZW, and will consider switching back to them in a year when my
current contract is over. I think VZW will be a better company in a year
with the increased competition. Their policy of charging for everything
and crippling their phones will only serve to bite them in the butt. I'm
an example to them of what happens to selfish companies. They won't miss
me with their 10s of millions of other customers, but I'm happy with my
move.

Also, as I was canceling my service with them, I was offered local phone
numbers in my new location. Ha, too little, too late.

--Felix