Can't search!!!

lokimelt

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I cannot connect to any search pages... If I try to connect to excite, google, or hotbot I get an error saying "Cannot connect to page..." If I try to search from Yahoo.com, I get an error saying "Cannot connect to search.yahoo.com"

I suspect that something has hijacked my dns entries and is redirecting or blocking my search requests. This just started happening a few days ago.

I am not using a firewall and have searched (with no effect) using Ad-Aware. Oh, sometimes a page called "Mypage.com" pops up... I suspect this is the problem, but since i can't search for a fix, I am stuck. It happens with both Mozilla and IE.

Please help!

Thanks,
tom

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Download Ad-Aware and SpyBot, then make sure you have an updated antivirus. Should take care of it.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

My sister-in-law had this problem.

She downloaded a chat program and the Installer installed a search bar that blocked all other searches. Part of their end user agreement.

Finally tracked down their website and downloaded their uninstaller.(hidden 4 pages deep on a small link). Ad-aware and spybot would not remove it.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Do a search in your windows folder for the hosts and lmhosts files. Open them up and see if yahoo.com and all the others have been redirected to a single IP address. There is a worm going around that has been doing this.

You can remove all the entries, and then you can also go into TCP/IP settings and turn off the hosts lookup.