Recommended configuration for wireless (existing trouble)

Robuk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Current Router position: I have a newly constructed home with my Wireless G router positioned in the basement. The DSL line runs into the basement, so my networking setup is down there. The Wireless G router (linksys) has a high-gain antenna attached.

Current reception: On both the 1st floor and 2nd floor, the wireless connection is poor, and intermittantly cuts out.

Attempted remedies:

1. High-gain antenna. Had little effect to the signal. It still cuts out.
2. Using a second router as a relay. I positioned the second router on the 1st floor, and moved to the 2nd floor to get an idea of what the signal would be like. Same problem ... intermittantly cuts out (even before I relay it - was just testing the wireless signal of this router).

So I'm considering ....

a) Signal Booster I've heard good reports of these, but am worried the intermittant signal from the basement may not be good enough for it to hold the connection
b) SRX 200 or 400. New router ... money I'd rather not spend right now

Any expert suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

-Rob

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
My suggestion... Would be to dump the wireless router and get a regular router, then get 2 possibly 3 wireless AP's and put them on each floor. I would start with 2. One in the basement and one on the first floor acting as a repeater. This should solve all your issues. Built in wireless on a router kind of stinks for signal strenth. I had a problem with mines on the same floor so I went with seperate AP's and I now get signal about 200 feet from my house from the closest AP. It will cost you about 150 total for everything but it is truly worth it if you dont want to run wires.

Good Luck!!