Phantom Hardware

Sepiaspiral

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Every time I boot up, my computer initiates the Install New Hardware wizard - for a printer. All my peripherals are installed, and having reinstalled the printer, it keeps happening. Every boot up. It's annoying. Any suggestions?

Sepiaspiral

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks, dudes. I have no yellow flagged items and any attempts to install the hardware fail. And the Hardware Wizard window is still popping up with annoying regularity.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I may be thinking of something else, but in the Wizard isn't there a checkbox saying something like, "ignore this device in the future" type of thing?

Sepiaspiral

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks - this is very encouraging.

However, on my 1st attempt, regedit wouldn't delete it. I badly need my printer today so I'm leaving it well alone and will try again tonight.

Sepiaspiral

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
This, it turns out, is a frequently encountered problem and, having trawled through the forumz, I've found a variety of partial solutions.

So - for the benefit of anyone else who ends up treading this frustrating path, here's the solution.

If you are unable to delete your LPTENUM from the registry entry, even in safe mode, the key will need amending. Administrators, it seems, do not have permission to amend keys created during the PnP process.

So - right click, check 'permissions' and tick the 'grant full control' box.

Full details at http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/Delete-Registry-Key-ftopict121979.html

Thanks to all who helped me on the way to this info.