Blank screen, no logon GUI

Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black except for
the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the keyboard
icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing CTRL-ALT-DEL,
icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the server
logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and the
cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is blackout
execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to type in
the administator password in the location of the screen where it should be.
Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error message.
I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This all
happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power off
server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to explorer.exe.

Any Help??
9 answers Last reply
More about blank screen logon

    RayB wrote:
    > Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
    except for
    > the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
    keyboard
    > icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
    CTRL-ALT-DEL,
    > icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
    server
    > logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
    the
    > cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
    blackout
    > execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
    type in
    > the administator password in the location of the screen where it
    should be.
    > Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
    message.
    > I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
    all
    > happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
    off
    > server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
    explorer.exe.

    > Any Help??

    Hello RayB

    We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
    Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having this
    same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't been able
    to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any solutions you
    might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB

    RayB wrote:
    > Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
    except for
    > the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
    keyboard
    > icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
    CTRL-ALT-DEL,
    > icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
    server
    > logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
    the
    > cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
    blackout
    > execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
    type in
    > the administator password in the location of the screen where it
    should be.
    > Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
    message.
    > I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
    all
    > happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
    off
    > server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
    explorer.exe.

    > Any Help??

    I sure will. I'm wondering if its a patch/update that was automatically
    downloaded from Microsoft, but wasn't applied until the server was restarted,
    which could be causing are problems?

    "ROB" wrote:

    > Hello RayB
    >
    > We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
    > Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having this
    > same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't been able
    > to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any solutions you
    > might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB

    ROB fumbled and fingered:

    > Hello RayB

    > We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
    > Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having
    > this same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't
    > been able to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any
    > solutions you might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q256194

    any help?

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Thanks Steve, the problem is that I don't even get the CTRL-ALT-DEL at
    bootup. Everything is black except for the Windows 2003 logo. When I do the
    CTRL-ALT-DEL I get another black screen with just the Windows 2003 logo just
    above where the username and password box should be. It looks like the fields
    are there as I can TAB and the cursor move to where the fields should be. I
    try to login in the fields, which I can't see, but get some type of error,
    which I can't see either.

    Any other Idea's ?

    "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

    > ROB fumbled and fingered:
    >
    > > Hello RayB
    >
    > > We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
    > > Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having
    > > this same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't
    > > been able to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any
    > > solutions you might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q256194
    >
    > any help?
    >
    > --
    > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Ray, Rob or Steve,

    Did this fix (recommended by Steve) solve your problem? I'm facing
    identical circumstances, and would appreciate your expertise about it.
    Please let me know how things turned-out for you.

    Thanks,
    Pete

    "ROB" wrote:

    > RayB wrote:
    > > Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
    > except for
    > > the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
    > keyboard
    > > icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
    > CTRL-ALT-DEL,
    > > icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
    > server
    > > logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
    > the
    > > cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
    > blackout
    > > execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
    > type in
    > > the administator password in the location of the screen where it
    > should be.
    > > Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
    > message.
    > > I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
    > all
    > > happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
    > off
    > > server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
    > explorer.exe.
    > >
    > > Any Help??

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Hi Eggy, I was able to resolve the issue by booting up on the OS CD and ran
    the repair OS option. Do not run the repair option that dumps you out to a
    command line, need to continue on, there will be another repair option
    available once the system see the existing OS, it will perform a dynamic
    update refreshing the OS system files. Need to rerun all service packs and
    updates.

    "Eggy" wrote:

    > Ray, Rob or Steve,
    >
    > Did this fix (recommended by Steve) solve your problem? I'm facing
    > identical circumstances, and would appreciate your expertise about it.
    > Please let me know how things turned-out for you.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pete
    >
    > "ROB" wrote:
    >

    > > RayB wrote:
    > > > Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
    > > except for
    > > > the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
    > > keyboard
    > > > icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
    > > CTRL-ALT-DEL,
    > > > icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
    > > server
    > > > logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
    > > the
    > > > cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
    > > blackout
    > > > execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
    > > type in
    > > > the administator password in the location of the screen where it
    > > should be.
    > > > Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
    > > message.
    > > > I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
    > > all
    > > > happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
    > > off
    > > > server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
    > > explorer.exe.
    > > >
    > > > Any Help??

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Ray -- Thanks! I'll give it a try!

    Pete

    "RayB" wrote:

    > Hi Eggy, I was able to resolve the issue by booting up on the OS CD and ran
    > the repair OS option. Do not run the repair option that dumps you out to a
    > command line, need to continue on, there will be another repair option
    > available once the system see the existing OS, it will perform a dynamic
    > update refreshing the OS system files. Need to rerun all service packs and
    > updates.
    >
    > "Eggy" wrote:
    >
    > > Ray, Rob or Steve,
    > >
    > > Did this fix (recommended by Steve) solve your problem? I'm facing
    > > identical circumstances, and would appreciate your expertise about it.
    > > Please let me know how things turned-out for you.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Pete

    > > > except for
    > > > keyboard