Blank screen, no logon GUI

Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black except for
the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the keyboard
icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing CTRL-ALT-DEL,
icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the server
logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and the
cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is blackout
execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to type in
the administator password in the location of the screen where it should be.
Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error message.
I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This all
happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power off
server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to explorer.exe.

Any Help??

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

RayB wrote:
> Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
except for
> the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
keyboard
> icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
CTRL-ALT-DEL,
> icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
server
> logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
the
> cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
blackout
> execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
type in
> the administator password in the location of the screen where it
should be.
> Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
message.
> I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
all
> happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
off
> server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
explorer.exe.

> Any Help??

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello RayB

We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having this
same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't been able
to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any solutions you
might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

RayB wrote:
> Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
except for
> the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
keyboard
> icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
CTRL-ALT-DEL,
> icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
server
> logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
the
> cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
blackout
> execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
type in
> the administator password in the location of the screen where it
should be.
> Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
message.
> I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
all
> happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
off
> server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
explorer.exe.

> Any Help??

I sure will. I'm wondering if its a patch/update that was automatically
downloaded from Microsoft, but wasn't applied until the server was restarted,
which could be causing are problems?

"ROB" wrote:

> Hello RayB
>
> We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
> Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having this
> same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't been able
> to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any solutions you
> might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB

ROB fumbled and fingered:

> Hello RayB

> We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
> Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having
> this same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't
> been able to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any
> solutions you might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q256194

any help?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Thanks Steve, the problem is that I don't even get the CTRL-ALT-DEL at
bootup. Everything is black except for the Windows 2003 logo. When I do the
CTRL-ALT-DEL I get another black screen with just the Windows 2003 logo just
above where the username and password box should be. It looks like the fields
are there as I can TAB and the cursor move to where the fields should be. I
try to login in the fields, which I can't see, but get some type of error,
which I can't see either.

Any other Idea's ?

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> ROB fumbled and fingered:
>
> > Hello RayB
>
> > We have encountered your exact problem to a "T" but we are running
> > Server 2000. Its too much of a coincidence that we are both having
> > this same problem on the same day around the same time. We haven't
> > been able to figure out whats causing it either. Please post any
> > solutions you might have and we'll do the same- Good luck. -ROB
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q256194
>
> any help?
>
> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Ray, Rob or Steve,

Did this fix (recommended by Steve) solve your problem? I'm facing
identical circumstances, and would appreciate your expertise about it.
Please let me know how things turned-out for you.

Thanks,
Pete

"ROB" wrote:

> RayB wrote:
> > Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
> except for
> > the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
> keyboard
> > icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
> CTRL-ALT-DEL,
> > icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
> server
> > logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
> the
> > cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
> blackout
> > execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
> type in
> > the administator password in the location of the screen where it
> should be.
> > Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
> message.
> > I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
> all
> > happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
> off
> > server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
> explorer.exe.
> >
> > Any Help??

Hi Eggy, I was able to resolve the issue by booting up on the OS CD and ran
the repair OS option. Do not run the repair option that dumps you out to a
command line, need to continue on, there will be another repair option
available once the system see the existing OS, it will perform a dynamic
update refreshing the OS system files. Need to rerun all service packs and
updates.

"Eggy" wrote:

> Ray, Rob or Steve,
>
> Did this fix (recommended by Steve) solve your problem? I'm facing
> identical circumstances, and would appreciate your expertise about it.
> Please let me know how things turned-out for you.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> "ROB" wrote:
>

> > RayB wrote:
> > > Have a Windows 2003 Std. Server. During bootup, monitor goes black
> > except for
> > > the Microsoft 2003 Std. Server logo. I only see the logo and the
> > keyboard
> > > icon indicating that I need to do CTRL-ALT-DEL. After doing
> > CTRL-ALT-DEL,
> > > icon disappears and I get a flashing cursor located just under the
> > server
> > > logo where the Username and Password fields should be. I can tab and
> > the
> > > cursor will move to where the next field should be but everthing is
> > blackout
> > > execept for the cursor. Can't continue on even after attempting to
> > type in
> > > the administator password in the location of the screen where it
> > should be.
> > > Just get an exclamation point inside of a yellow triangle, no error
> > message.
> > > I tried safe boot, Last know good confiuration, and VGA Mode. This
> > all
> > > happened after the server hang during shutdown, had to manually power
> > off
> > > server. I did verify that the registry had the shell set to
> > explorer.exe.
> > >
> > > Any Help??

Ray -- Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Pete