Sign in with
Your question

High temps, Do I need to reapply Arctic silver when I check

Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2006 2:45:46 PM

Hey, I just built a core 2 duo system. I used arctic silver 5. The computer is running at about 39 and 40 c according to core temps and it said the tjunct was 80 or so. So I am assuming that that is way to high and I somehow messed up with the hsf. So my question is do I need to clean the cpu and hsf and reapply the Arctic silver 5 or do I just take the hsf off and put it back or or take it off and putt a little more arctic silver on. Thanks alot
December 22, 2006 4:32:36 PM

Yes reapply AS5 or I use Artic SIlver Ceramic on my processors
December 22, 2006 4:54:20 PM

When every you remove a HSF, you must reapply the compound. Not all do this, but it is required to maintain a good heat transfer between the processor and the HSF.

Have you read on how to properly apply the compound? Its recomended you put a small drop in the center, then spread it around with paper, or a flat plastic spreader. The compound needs to be thin and uniform.

Also remeber, it takes a while for the compound to "bake" or cure, before it works at its best.
Related resources
December 22, 2006 5:02:50 PM

Quote:
The computer is running at about 39 and 40 c according to core temps and it said the tjunct was 80 or so.

To me 39-40C is OK temperatures. My e6600 is runing 38C idle with PC Probe. OH at 3.0ghz.

Quote:
When every you remove a HSF, you must reapply the compound. Not all do this, but it is required to maintain a good heat transfer between the processor and the HSF.

Have you read on how to properly apply the compound? Its recomended you put a small drop in the center, then spread it around with paper, or a flat plastic spreader. The compound needs to be thin and uniform.

Also remeber, it takes a while for the compound to "bake" or cure, before it works at its best.

AGREE.
December 22, 2006 5:38:07 PM

Yes, completely clean the old off first then reapply.
December 22, 2006 5:47:22 PM

And remember, that Arctic Silver will be still good to use in 4-5 years... when you're building a new system...

:D 
December 22, 2006 6:06:11 PM

so i've got a similar problem, and an alternate question. how do i get my old thermal gunk off? i haven't checked it out, its either paste or pad, but will isopropyl work? like 94%? i think thats what i've got laying around.... my soc. a proc runs so frikkin hot i really hope that this helps it out a lil.... runs between 46~53. :cry:  hampering my OCing.
December 22, 2006 6:09:59 PM

Yes that is the recomended method for removing the compound. It takes awhile, just use it with someting that wont scratch the metal.
December 22, 2006 6:14:45 PM

so you mean that i'm actually gonna have to like scrub it off? nuts. i was thinking it'd be more easy-as-pie than that. oh well. what would you suggest? perhaps like a not-so-coarse scrubby sponge thing? my fingers? lol. i guess i should put up the steel wool and the sandpaper...
December 22, 2006 6:21:14 PM

paper towel would do it. .. its not scrubbing, just rubbing that you need to do.
December 22, 2006 6:23:24 PM

ah hah! sweet. thanks alot. much appreciated. happy non-denominational winter holiday!

btw, whats up with your "banned" location? you're obviously not banned b/c your posting... what am i missing?
December 22, 2006 6:26:37 PM

just subtle humor.

And good luck with those temps!
December 22, 2006 6:44:19 PM

Do remember when reapplying that less is more.

May I can get some thoughts or suggestions on my issue.
I recently build a system for my Pa and it's running hotter that I had hoped.
Specs are:
E6600 @ 3.2Ghz 1.25v
Gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo
stock cooler
LianLi v800 case

The temps at idle are about 42-43C and prime95 loaded are around 70C.
I get these temps even a default clock and voltage. I have reseated the heatsink 4 times and using a tiny layer of silver. I was getting higher temps, but after I used less compound the temps came down a little. The case does not have enough room for a giant cooler and I have seen others with much better temps. I would appreciate any advise.
December 23, 2006 12:46:32 AM

Thanks guys I greatly appreciate it. I really wasn't sure if I needed to clean the hs and cpu to a shine just to put the same compound back on it. I will clean it and as for applying as5 I ready the directions and applied a very thin line down the middle of the cpu covering the internal hs and left room above and below. I think I made my mistake in snapping on the hs one peg at a time. I was to preocuppied with getting it in the right spot.

Just to check.
with intels boxed hsf I can allign the hsf any way I want as long as I make sure all 4 pushin clips are securely fastoned and I should do the first two at the same time. And the two that I do should be diagonally accross from each other. Correct?
Thanks again
Dev
December 23, 2006 2:06:19 AM

Quote:
just subtle humor.

And good luck with those temps!

Location spelled backwards, sig is backwards, reminds of the movie The Shining" ane the mysterious word "redrum" on the mirror.
December 23, 2006 2:35:18 AM

No, it was BANNED (spelled correctl,y and in RED)... I changed it cause I didnt want the mods to be pissy.
December 23, 2006 3:11:50 AM

Arctic Silver begs to differ....
a c 111 à CPUs
December 23, 2006 4:04:02 AM

Quote:
Hey, I just built a core 2 duo system. I used arctic silver 5. The computer is running at about 39 and 40 c according to core temps and it said the tjunct was 80 or so. So I am assuming that that is way to high and I somehow messed up with the hsf. So my question is do I need to clean the cpu and hsf and reapply the Arctic silver 5 or do I just take the hsf off and put it back or or take it off and putt a little more arctic silver on. Thanks alot

Your temps are just fine....

The Tjunction is 85c and thats a temp to worry about....odd since intel specs that CPU's with a heat spreader do not use Tjunction. but instead a TcaseMax

In the case it is like 60.2 or something like that.... it varies from model to model.

Either way you are talking about 60 in the center of the heat spreader on the topside. That hot as hell in the core...maybe 75ish

you are fine....if you want to lower it increase your case air flow....and change the cooler....but i think you are just fine....point in case...i idle @ 41 load @ 57ish(peaks in the 60's when it's warm....)

And just a note....the silicon this thing is made of can take allot of heat.... :) 
December 23, 2006 6:25:04 PM

OK so I'm useing Core temp Beta 0.94 According to it my Tjunction is 85C but it was 85 C when I first booted up and and hasnt even fluctuated. At first my core 0 and core 1 were about 23C and have gone up to about 37-40c each but the tjunction hasnt changed. Is it possible that the tjunction monitor is not correct? I'm really not sure if this is a probelm or if its simply because I used arctic silver 5 and it simply needs time to burn in.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Dev
December 23, 2006 6:43:50 PM

yeah, my c2d friend has like an IDENTICAL prob... er observance.... his tjunction is 85 c too. thats pretty ridiculous, if you ask me, because his other temps are really really nicely low. i have no idea. i need to find out just what the tjunction is, because it seems like everyone has a high one.
December 23, 2006 7:02:06 PM

Hmm ok, well thank you for the info. Its nice to know It may be normal.
December 23, 2006 7:22:19 PM

i think it is pretty normal, i've seen other posters complaining bout it, but the thing is i couldn't find much on it @ google or wikipedia.... maybe its cause i'm downloading like a fiend and my bandwidth is zip... idk.... point is, and don't quote me on this, but i think as long as your core temps are okay, you should be good to go. remember, no quotey!
December 23, 2006 7:26:55 PM

E6600 @ 3.2Ghz 1.25v at stock cooler? ehh.. dude get a cheap aftermarket cooler like blue orb II if u dont like ur temps
December 23, 2006 7:27:42 PM

It's normal. Just make sure your load temps don't go over the low 60's. The 60's are still safe just a good point to start paying attention.
December 23, 2006 7:46:34 PM

OK Thanks alot. I'm still new to this stuff. This is only the second Computer I have built. So I don't know whats acceptable or not. Thats why I was asking. I don't mind the temps at all. I just didn't know if there was a problem. And I will probobly get a new cooler in march. I'm compltely tapped out for the moment. I'm going to run Prime95 next, 2 instances, and see how hot it gets. Assumeing that it doesn't go over the low 60s ill look for a memory test. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also should I run any other diagnostics? Ie to check hd, video card, psu, dvd etc. Or what?
Thanks again.
Dev
December 23, 2006 7:56:35 PM

Do I really need to run Prime 95 for 24 hours? and If I do how do I make sure that The temps don't go to high? Can I damage my cpu if it runs to hot? (I don't think so for the core2 but I wasnt sure). Finally Coretemp seems to have my temps holding around 56c after about 7 minutes of prime 95 but the nvida monitor shows it around 61 I should trust the core temp right? the nvida one doesnt even show both cores.
Thanks

Edit- Even when running prime 95 on both instances and having my monitor say that I am using 100% of my cpu I can still use my computer with no slow down, is that normal? Ie i am writing this post while running prime 95 and i don't notice any lag or anything.
December 23, 2006 8:05:21 PM

you don't HAVE to run prime95 for that long... some people run it for weeks ( 8O ) but if you have an error it'll tell you literally right off the bat. i like to run for around 10 hrs, makes me feel all *special* inside, but you could probably get away with no less than 5 good hrs. thing is, longer you test, better the testing is and the more thorough, too.

you PROBABLY can't damage your cpu with any kinda cooling on it... yeah, cpus can burn themselves out, but thats like when they don't have a hsf or anything on... basically its very easy to avoid meltdown. again, 60s are fine, and even higher than that will be tolerated by your proc, but obviously if you get too close to 100 celsius you may wanna slow down....

a good memory test is memtestx86... the one you have to boot into. its quite thorough, only problem is, you have to run it forever also, like another 5 or 10 hrs.... again 24 hrs isn't really necissary but won't hurt.

good luck with your testing! this is by far the most boring part of oc'ing, as you can't do much.... well YOU can with your amazing proc ( :evil:  ) but i can't with my old t-bird soc. a amd proc.

meh. c'est la vie. merry christmas.

EDIT:

different temp monitors will give you different temps, its really quite annoying. it wouldn't hurt to just assume its the highest one, although its probably in between the two. just pretend it IS the highest one and act accordingly.
December 23, 2006 8:28:47 PM

LOL, don't have proc envy now. lol

Anyway, I'm not ocing at the moment, I'm simply trying to find out if all the parts in my computer are in working order and nothing is defective or not properly installed.

Hey does it matter which test I use for prime 95? I used torture test. In-place large ffts maximum heat and power consumption. Because it was the one that instantly used my cpu and put it to 100%

Thanks again for all your help
December 23, 2006 9:44:28 PM

well, to be honest, i'm not really sure. i think that i usually use the "blend" test or something, idk.... i used the "blend" because it says that it uses alot of ram, and thats what i was predominantly testing when i was using it..... but i'm not exactly a prime95 expert. alls i know is that it works my system hard, which i want it to, and it calculates really weird numbers.

yeah, i just checked prime95, and it sounds like you picked a good one: with the max power and heat and such. good choice! :lol:  they're all "torture tests," they just focus on different components.

p.s. i totally have proc envy! :twisted: i've never even used a dual core, let alone a NEW dual core with amazing architecture (core 2 duo).... my richass friend built one and i haven't been able to steal, er, use it yet. heh. merry christmas, i hope all your testing goes well! don't forget memtest, i'll provide you a link... h/o....

yeah i think this is the one i got:
http://www.memtest86.com/

have fun...!
December 23, 2006 11:23:42 PM

Thanks alot lord. Ya its been about 3 and a half hours and I think I may be done with prime95. I went all the way through the fft length. Ie it started with 1024K FFT Length and went all the way down to 128k FFT length and now it is back to 1024k FFT Length. So I think its ok. Not to mention that my core temps have actually gone down over the last 3 hours. They started out at about 55 ish coretemp and 63 nvida monitor and now they are down to about 53 and 59-60 and it seems to have passed all the self tests. So I'm thinking that the faster processor doesnt need as much time to test itself. What do you think?

ps I know how you feel about the proc envy, I let a friend buy a computer on credit and his blew my old one away. LOL we actually would take turns playing games on his computer cause my sucked so bad in comparison. So the moral. Just set your computer up next to your buddies and have him take turns with you! lol
December 23, 2006 11:39:50 PM

Lord has it quite well. but just as a precaution, I and most of those that I know allow a 24hr test to occur. Or if you are really aching, overnight.
December 23, 2006 11:41:50 PM

kk, Ill give it the full 5 hours then. LOL
December 24, 2006 11:49:57 AM

well, as long as you didn't wimp out after 3h, i think you're good :wink:

i do usually like to run it overnight, and by "it" i mean any kinda high-caliber test like that. but thats just my control-freak nature, i guess. again, from experience, errors occur like RIGHT off the bat, but it is just good practice to let it run on for a while. here, check this picture out:

yeah, not good. :lol:  thats what you SHOULDN'T have seen :) 

i'm usually one that, as ninja said, is REALLY aching, so i usually time it so i can test overnight, that allows me to sleep well and then enjoy it *safely* the next day! i'd die if my highly desired tech was testing (and unusable) for 24 HRS!!! 8O but, y'know, i'm simple-minded.

and don't forget to give memtest a whirl! its not as uber-necissary as you said you were not overclocking, but if and when you do get into oc'ing, then you'll need to run memtest to make sure your memory is taking its punches. MY memory is particularly shitty so i can get like a couple Mhz outta my system.... :oops:  lol

so, yeah; i hope you finally get to enjoy the system that you're testing! happy holidays!
December 28, 2006 2:15:32 PM

Get a new heat sink, the Intel one is loud and lame. I have a Core2 6300 running at 2.45GHz\350FSB. Mine runs at 33-35C idle and 45-47C loaded.
December 28, 2006 3:09:02 PM

i heard the stock HSF was good for c2ds... well better than p4s anyway....

well for my soc a, i got a new mobo for free and when i switched mobos i didn't put on more AS5 b/c there was a thermal pad and i was scared... anyway, the resituated hsf runs the proc 20 degrees C cooler. how awesome is that? i'm convinced that whoever put this together originally did it fkn WRONG. yeah, so there's my story.
!