High temps, Do I need to reapply Arctic silver when I check

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Hey, I just built a core 2 duo system. I used arctic silver 5. The computer is running at about 39 and 40 c according to core temps and it said the tjunct was 80 or so. So I am assuming that that is way to high and I somehow messed up with the hsf. So my question is do I need to clean the cpu and hsf and reapply the Arctic silver 5 or do I just take the hsf off and put it back or or take it off and putt a little more arctic silver on. Thanks alot

When every you remove a HSF, you must reapply the compound. Not all do this, but it is required to maintain a good heat transfer between the processor and the HSF.

Have you read on how to properly apply the compound? Its recomended you put a small drop in the center, then spread it around with paper, or a flat plastic spreader. The compound needs to be thin and uniform.

Also remeber, it takes a while for the compound to "bake" or cure, before it works at its best.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The computer is running at about 39 and 40 c according to core temps and it said the tjunct was 80 or so.

To me 39-40C is OK temperatures. My e6600 is runing 38C idle with PC Probe. OH at 3.0ghz.

When every you remove a HSF, you must reapply the compound. Not all do this, but it is required to maintain a good heat transfer between the processor and the HSF.

Have you read on how to properly apply the compound? Its recomended you put a small drop in the center, then spread it around with paper, or a flat plastic spreader. The compound needs to be thin and uniform.

Also remeber, it takes a while for the compound to "bake" or cure, before it works at its best.

AGREE.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
so i've got a similar problem, and an alternate question. how do i get my old thermal gunk off? i haven't checked it out, its either paste or pad, but will isopropyl work? like 94%? i think thats what i've got laying around.... my soc. a proc runs so frikkin hot i really hope that this helps it out a lil.... runs between 46~53. :cry: hampering my OCing.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
so you mean that i'm actually gonna have to like scrub it off? nuts. i was thinking it'd be more easy-as-pie than that. oh well. what would you suggest? perhaps like a not-so-coarse scrubby sponge thing? my fingers? lol. i guess i should put up the steel wool and the sandpaper...

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
ah hah! sweet. thanks alot. much appreciated. happy non-denominational winter holiday!

btw, whats up with your "banned" location? you're obviously not banned b/c your posting... what am i missing?

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Do remember when reapplying that less is more.

May I can get some thoughts or suggestions on my issue.
I recently build a system for my Pa and it's running hotter that I had hoped.
Specs are:
E6600 @ 3.2Ghz 1.25v
Gigabyte 965p-s3 mobo
stock cooler
LianLi v800 case

The temps at idle are about 42-43C and prime95 loaded are around 70C.
I get these temps even a default clock and voltage. I have reseated the heatsink 4 times and using a tiny layer of silver. I was getting higher temps, but after I used less compound the temps came down a little. The case does not have enough room for a giant cooler and I have seen others with much better temps. I would appreciate any advise.

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Thanks guys I greatly appreciate it. I really wasn't sure if I needed to clean the hs and cpu to a shine just to put the same compound back on it. I will clean it and as for applying as5 I ready the directions and applied a very thin line down the middle of the cpu covering the internal hs and left room above and below. I think I made my mistake in snapping on the hs one peg at a time. I was to preocuppied with getting it in the right spot.

Just to check.
with intels boxed hsf I can allign the hsf any way I want as long as I make sure all 4 pushin clips are securely fastoned and I should do the first two at the same time. And the two that I do should be diagonally accross from each other. Correct?
Thanks again
Dev

Hey, I just built a core 2 duo system. I used arctic silver 5. The computer is running at about 39 and 40 c according to core temps and it said the tjunct was 80 or so. So I am assuming that that is way to high and I somehow messed up with the hsf. So my question is do I need to clean the cpu and hsf and reapply the Arctic silver 5 or do I just take the hsf off and put it back or or take it off and putt a little more arctic silver on. Thanks alot
Your temps are just fine....

The Tjunction is 85c and thats a temp to worry about....odd since intel specs that CPU's with a heat spreader do not use Tjunction. but instead a TcaseMax

In the case it is like 60.2 or something like that.... it varies from model to model.

Either way you are talking about 60 in the center of the heat spreader on the topside. That hot as hell in the core...maybe 75ish

you are fine....if you want to lower it increase your case air flow....and change the cooler....but i think you are just fine....point in case...i idle @ 41 load @ 57ish(peaks in the 60's when it's warm....)

And just a note....the silicon this thing is made of can take allot of heat.... :)

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
OK so I'm useing Core temp Beta 0.94 According to it my Tjunction is 85C but it was 85 C when I first booted up and and hasnt even fluctuated. At first my core 0 and core 1 were about 23C and have gone up to about 37-40c each but the tjunction hasnt changed. Is it possible that the tjunction monitor is not correct? I'm really not sure if this is a probelm or if its simply because I used arctic silver 5 and it simply needs time to burn in.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Dev

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, my c2d friend has like an IDENTICAL prob... er observance.... his tjunction is 85 c too. thats pretty ridiculous, if you ask me, because his other temps are really really nicely low. i have no idea. i need to find out just what the tjunction is, because it seems like everyone has a high one.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i think it is pretty normal, i've seen other posters complaining bout it, but the thing is i couldn't find much on it @ google or wikipedia.... maybe its cause i'm downloading like a fiend and my bandwidth is zip... idk.... point is, and don't quote me on this, but i think as long as your core temps are okay, you should be good to go. remember, no quotey!

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It's normal. Just make sure your load temps don't go over the low 60's. The 60's are still safe just a good point to start paying attention.

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
OK Thanks alot. I'm still new to this stuff. This is only the second Computer I have built. So I don't know whats acceptable or not. Thats why I was asking. I don't mind the temps at all. I just didn't know if there was a problem. And I will probobly get a new cooler in march. I'm compltely tapped out for the moment. I'm going to run Prime95 next, 2 instances, and see how hot it gets. Assumeing that it doesn't go over the low 60s ill look for a memory test. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also should I run any other diagnostics? Ie to check hd, video card, psu, dvd etc. Or what?
Thanks again.
Dev