val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

I got a new computer. I took the hard drive out of my old computer and put
it in a USB enclosure and connected it to the new computer. There is a lot
of "duplication" on the old drive, OS, DLLs, etc. Is there a way to cleanly
purge these files and synchronize what's on the old drive with the new drive
and system?

Thanks,
Val

Val wrote:
> I got a new computer. I took the hard drive out of my old computer
> and put it in a USB enclosure and connected it to the new computer. There
> is a lot of "duplication" on the old drive, OS, DLLs, etc. Is
> there a way to cleanly purge these files and synchronize what's on
> the old drive with the new drive and system?

All that you need/can REALLY transfer is *your* files.
Find them, copy them, be done with it.

Most of your files (if this was an XP system - or even a Windows 2000 system
or Windows ME system) should be under \Documents and
Settings\YourOldUsername. There you will find your My Documents folder (and
associated subfolders) as well as Favorites and Desktop. Also, your Outlook
PST or Outlook Express dbx files will be here. Otherwise, you can search
the drive for your pictures, documents, spreadsheets, databases and other
files throughout the drive..

If you were thinking of bringing the old programs over - other than some
downloaded installation file - you are not going to make that happen. Just
reinstall your applications from the associated installation media.

--
<- Shenan ->

sharkman

I've used this for moving apps between my old re-installed hard drive and
the new hard drive.
http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

--

"Val" <val75672@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I got a new computer. I took the hard drive out of my old computer and put
>it in a USB enclosure and connected it to the new computer. There is a lot
>of "duplication" on the old drive, OS, DLLs, etc. Is there a way to cleanly
>purge these files and synchronize what's on the old drive with the new drive
>and system?
>
>Thanks,
>Val

What you should do is to run the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
on the old computer and save the resulting data in a folder named
C:\Transfer.

Then connect the drive to the new computer, run the FASTW on the new
computer and tell it to import the data from the \transfer folder on
the old hard drive.

Application programs cannot be transferred this way and must be
reinstalled because of the many registry entries that must be created
for the program as part of the install process.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP