Sign in with
Your question

845E motherboard upgrade to 3.0 Ghz P4??

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2006 3:09:29 PM

I have an old system that I'd like to upgrade without replacing the motherboard if at all possible.

Currently the system has Gigabyte motherboard with the Intel 845E chipset. The CPU is the socket 478 P4 running at 2.4 Ghz.

I saw a hyperthreaded 3.0 GHz CPU on Newegg the other day for the 478 socket and was wondering if I could use this as an upgrade.

My concern is that the board supports a 533Mhz FSB, while the new CPU has a 1Ghz FSB.

Would anything bad happened if I tried this?

Thanks in advance,
Herrmann

More about : 845e motherboard upgrade ghz

December 22, 2006 3:12:59 PM

If you had the latest BIOS it might -work-, but not nearly as well as you'd like. I think your best bet if you really wanted to upgrade would be the 3.06Ghz Northwood core P4, it also has HyperThreading. But how much money do you really want to sink into this system? What do you use it for?
December 22, 2006 3:21:29 PM

Quote:
I have an old system that I'd like to upgrade without replacing the motherboard if at all possible.

Currently the system has Gigabyte motherboard with the Intel 845E chipset. The CPU is the socket 478 P4 running at 2.4 Ghz.

I saw a hyperthreaded 3.0 GHz CPU on Newegg the other day for the 478 socket and was wondering if I could use this as an upgrade.

My concern is that the board supports a 533Mhz FSB, while the new CPU has a 1Ghz FSB.

Would anything bad happened if I tried this?

Thanks in advance,
Herrmann

845E only supports 533MHz FSB CPUs WITHOUT Hyper-Threading......

There may be un-official support for HT though...
Related resources
December 22, 2006 3:27:07 PM

Yes, even if it "works," the FSB would be at 533Mhz.
December 22, 2006 3:51:52 PM

My suggestion is to make do with what you have until you can spend more and overclock it until then. IMO it would not be worth spending the money on a platform that is as old as the 478. Take it from someone who has a 478. Another thing is that the 845 chipset sucks bigtime.
December 22, 2006 4:18:57 PM

Indeed. If you had an 865 based chipset your options would be much broader.
December 22, 2006 5:01:01 PM

Thank you for the replies...all I'm looking to do is give my older system a facelift too keep it useful for another year or so. I'd like to boost the CPU speed and the RAM without dumping a bunch of money into it.

Even if I don't get the full 3.0Ghz HT performance out of my motherboard, if there is **some improvement**, I would consider it a benefit.
December 22, 2006 8:40:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the replies...all I'm looking to do is give my older system a facelift too keep it useful for another year or so. I'd like to boost the CPU speed and the RAM without dumping a bunch of money into it.

Even if I don't get the full 3.0Ghz HT performance out of my motherboard, if there is **some improvement**, I would consider it a benefit.

Sorry, but there's not much you can do about it. The best thing to do IMO is what I did with my girlfriend's 2.66GHz P4 system; sell it as much as you can, add some money and jump to a cheap upgradable system (AM2 in my case). Whatever LGA775 or AM2 CPU you chose, it will perform better than your current system and give you an upgrade path :wink:
!