Backup "disk spacel" error

abc

I have the Win 2000 backup utility configured for automatic backups to an
external hard drive dedicated to that purpose. However after 2-3 backups I
get a "disk full" error even though I am using only 8gigs of a 160 gig
drive. Erasing the backup file temporarily solves the problem but again
after several backups I get the same message. Any ideas?

Are you sure the error is about the tape drive & not Temp space?

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
Official Microsoft Beta Tester

abc

Thanks. I do think it is the backup hard drive since the same backup
procedure done manually when the drive is cleared of prior backups goes
fine. I am now wondering whether I am running into the fact that the backup
drive is FAT 32 with an inherent backup size limitation of 4G (based on
further rooting around in Microsoft knowledge documents). It seems that
whenever a single backup operation results in a final backup file size of
greater than 4 G things fall apart. If this is true am I stuck with
splitting the backup into smaller bits?
"abc" <abd@nd.sss> wrote in message
> I have the Win 2000 backup utility configured for automatic backups to an
> external hard drive dedicated to that purpose. However after 2-3 backups I
> get a "disk full" error even though I am using only 8gigs of a 160 gig
> drive. Erasing the backup file temporarily solves the problem but again
> after several backups I get the same message. Any ideas?

dl

What exactly are you wishing to back up? is it merely data, or is it a sys
backup. If sys backup ntbackup is not really designed for this.

> Thanks. I do think it is the backup hard drive since the same backup
> procedure done manually when the drive is cleared of prior backups goes
> fine. I am now wondering whether I am running into the fact that the
backup
> drive is FAT 32 with an inherent backup size limitation of 4G (based on
> further rooting around in Microsoft knowledge documents). It seems that
> whenever a single backup operation results in a final backup file size of
> greater than 4 G things fall apart. If this is true am I stuck with
> splitting the backup into smaller bits?
> "abc" <abd@nd.sss> wrote in message
> > I have the Win 2000 backup utility configured for automatic backups to
an
> > external hard drive dedicated to that purpose. However after 2-3 backups
> > get a "disk full" error even though I am using only 8gigs of a 160 gig
> > drive. Erasing the backup file temporarily solves the problem but again
> > after several backups I get the same message. Any ideas?

abc

Just data - text, graphic files,etc. Not sys.

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> What exactly are you wishing to back up? is it merely data, or is it a sys
> backup. If sys backup ntbackup is not really designed for this.
>
> "abc" <abd@nd.sss> wrote in message
> > Thanks. I do think it is the backup hard drive since the same backup
> > procedure done manually when the drive is cleared of prior backups goes
> > fine. I am now wondering whether I am running into the fact that the
> backup
> > drive is FAT 32 with an inherent backup size limitation of 4G (based on
> > further rooting around in Microsoft knowledge documents). It seems that
> > whenever a single backup operation results in a final backup file size
of
> > greater than 4 G things fall apart. If this is true am I stuck with
> > splitting the backup into smaller bits?
> > "abc" <abd@nd.sss> wrote in message
> > > I have the Win 2000 backup utility configured for automatic backups to
> an
> > > external hard drive dedicated to that purpose. However after 2-3
backups
> > > get a "disk full" error even though I am using only 8gigs of a 160 gig
> > > drive. Erasing the backup file temporarily solves the problem but
again
> > > after several backups I get the same message. Any ideas?

dl

Yes, there is a limitation on size with ntbackup.
There are many low cost, and some free, backup apps that do not have this
limitation, or can automatically split