Sign in with
Your question

Gigabit Network Problem

Last response: in Networking
June 7, 2006 8:23:53 PM

I have been networking my home by running Cat5e through the walls and attic down to the basement to a Generic 68RK-P6050-12 Cat 6 patch panel. I have put some Cat6 wall jacks on the other end of the cable. From the patch panel I connect short patch Cat5e cables to my Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. The computers are hooked to the wall jack with Cat5e patch cables. The computers do not get a gigabit connection they only get 100 Mbs. So what I did to try and fix it was I re-punched the jack and the patch panel with no new results. I then ran a long Cat5e cable that I used in my previous home and ran it straight to the Switch and got the gigabit connection. None of my runs are over 80 feet. The box of cable I bought says it can handle gigabit connections.

What I want to try is crimping an rj-45 to both ends of the run cable and see if I get a gigabit connection that way.

Does anyone else have suggestions on what to test or resolutions if after I crimp the rj-45 and I get a gigabit connection?

Any theories on what could be the problem here?

Thanks,
June 7, 2006 9:42:07 PM

Quote:
From the patch panel I connect short patch Cat5e cables to my Netgear 8 port gigabit switch.

by short... what do you mean? nothing below 3feet i hope ( 3feet is the minimum recommended, there is a problem with shorter cables )

Also, did you make the cabling yourself or you bought it all made already?
maybe you didnt make them properly.
June 7, 2006 9:47:34 PM

You know I did make them a lot shorter than 3 feet. I made them myself, I know I made the right, I make all of my cables and everytime but this one I get the gigabit connection.

I will try and attach a cable between the patch panel and switch that is at least 3 feet and see what happens.

Thanks

Keep the ideas coming
Related resources
June 8, 2006 3:32:17 PM

Okay here is what I discovered, It is my wall jacks that are causing the problem. Last night the computer would only connect at 100 Mbs and then it would say that it has limited or no connectivity. The connection would go up and down. I am going to have to try a different brand and see if that works.
June 8, 2006 7:22:18 PM

Cat6 specs are very tight when it comes to bends, They don't like kinks. You may want to buy one of the cable tester, it will help pin point your problems. You did not specify which netgear router you are using. Some only have 1 gig port, all other 10/100.
June 8, 2006 7:26:04 PM

Yeah cable testers are real expensive I don't know if I can do that right now. I am not sure on the model number of the netgear but all 8 ports are gigabit I know that.
June 8, 2006 7:41:30 PM

Some PC's have the ability to check cables?

I've seen cable tester under $100
June 8, 2006 8:01:27 PM

If I am getting a tester I am going to get a real good one, with the terminators and the million funcitons or whatever they have, My work has a really good one that I am going to see if I can borrow.

Still though, right now I have an RJ-45 crimmped to the Cat5e cable which plugs in to the back of my computer. The cable runs to my patch panel. From the patch panel is a pre-made 10ft Cat5e cable which goes in to my Switch. With this configuration (I can also swap the 10ft for a 1ft cable i made and it is the same result) my computer gets a gigabit connection. If I cut the rj-45 off and punch the jack to the line then I get all the problems. I am punching the jack exactly how the instructions tell me to do, they actually give 2 different ways and I have tried them both. I have tried a few different jacks, all Cat6 new and used, and I get the same problem. As soon as I put that rj-45 back on it is fine. All the cables I am using have tested just fine for gigabit connections.

So as it stands the issue is either I have a bunch of deffective cat6 jacks, or there are too many jumps using 3 cables and 2 punched jacks to maintain a gigabit connection. You would think if that 2nd one was the case i could at least maintain a stable 10 Mbs connection. The next thing I am going to try is get a cat5e jack and punch that on the line and see what happens.
June 8, 2006 9:44:14 PM

There are 2 different wiring scheme out there. One will allow phone to work off of the jack, the other will not.

Ethernet Cable Pin Out

1 White/Green
2 Green/White
3 White/Orange *
4 Blue/White
5 White/Blue
6 Orange/White *
7 White/Brown
8 Brown/ White

This is what I use, I have the other some where. They use different pairs, as all pairs have a different twist.

I'm wondering if you are mixing the scheme and they are crashing your systems.
June 8, 2006 9:50:25 PM

No I am using T568 B

WO | O | WG | B | WB | G | WBr | Br

I made sure to verify all that when I was doing all this.

You use T568 A which is the same thing but you swap the green and orange pair.

To make a cross over cable you mix the two. One end uses A the other B.
June 8, 2006 10:11:37 PM

Have crossover cables, and carry them with me any where I go. I make all of my cables up. All with the stranded 5e cable.

It was just something to try, since the jacks are causing problems. Never had a problem from any of my jacks.

I think the max length of wire stripped back is some where around 5/8". Seperating the leads back more impact the impedence.

My asus has the capability to trouble shoot wiring problems. I wish my LT had that feature.
June 8, 2006 10:22:13 PM

Man, I wish my computer could do the wire tests like that. I have never had problems with jacks before either. I actually have 2 of them working just fine and 3 that are not.
June 8, 2006 10:40:47 PM

It's a marvell 8053 chip set. It's a seperate/optional software pkg, used it when I wired my house.

You may check with your mfg.
June 13, 2006 11:57:07 PM

Alright here is what happened.

So after messing with the wall jacks for a while and the patch panel. I discovered that the jacks were mostly crap. I went to home depot and got the Levithan cat5e jacks, as soon as I punch those on the line and hook up a computer I get a gigabit connection. I also discovered that I have 2 potential dead ports on my patch panel.

I pull the wires out of the bad jacks one-by-one and examined them. A lot of the wire's casing had not even been pierced so the copper was not exposed which would explain the problem. I was able to return the ones that did not work and get my money back which almost paid for the the ones at Home Depot.

Thanks for the help
!