Codecs hell

Hi everybody,

I was trying to set some machine in order, uninstalled everything I could find
remotely resembling a codec in Control panel -> Add or Remove Programs, and then
reinstalled only the necessary ones, but the result is the same: some green
movement instead of a clear video. So, before I go down the format c: path (G,
thanks, M$!), I thought I'd ask some questions here:

1. How does one go about cleaning the machine of that codecs mess? I mean
completely cleaning: files as well as settings that remain after the uninstall
(this is an oxymoron, I know, but Windows seem to be this way).

2. How to manualy install codecs? What is a "raw" codec file? Where do you get
it (_not_ the installer!)? Where do you put it? What system (registry?) settings
must be set? Where?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about codecs hell

    "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Hi everybody,
    |
    | I was trying to set some machine in order, uninstalled everything I could
    find
    | remotely resembling a codec in Control panel -> Add or Remove Programs,
    and then
    | reinstalled only the necessary ones, but the result is the same: some
    green
    | movement instead of a clear video. So, before I go down the format c: path
    (G,
    | thanks, M$!), I thought I'd ask some questions here:
    |
    | 1. How does one go about cleaning the machine of that codecs mess? I mean
    | completely cleaning: files as well as settings that remain after the
    uninstall
    | (this is an oxymoron, I know, but Windows seem to be this way).
    |
    | 2. How to manualy install codecs? What is a "raw" codec file? Where do you
    get
    | it (_not_ the installer!)? Where do you put it? What system (registry?)
    settings
    | must be set? Where?
    |
    | Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    You haven't described the original problem other than to say you're getting
    "green movement." What caused you to believe that you had to uninstall or
    delete codecs?

    Try this website..

    http://www.theorica.net/download.htm

    Scroll down to find the Codec section.. download as required.. I have
    directed others to here, and feedback has always been 100% good..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi everybody,
    > |
    > | I was trying to set some machine in order, uninstalled everything I could
    > find
    > | remotely resembling a codec in Control panel -> Add or Remove Programs,
    > and then
    > | reinstalled only the necessary ones, but the result is the same: some
    > green
    > | movement instead of a clear video. So, before I go down the format c: path
    > (G,
    > | thanks, M$!), I thought I'd ask some questions here:
    > |
    > | 1. How does one go about cleaning the machine of that codecs mess? I mean
    > | completely cleaning: files as well as settings that remain after the
    > uninstall
    > | (this is an oxymoron, I know, but Windows seem to be this way).
    > |
    > | 2. How to manualy install codecs? What is a "raw" codec file? Where do you
    > get
    > | it (_not_ the installer!)? Where do you put it? What system (registry?)
    > settings
    > | must be set? Where?
    > |
    > | Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > You haven't described the original problem other than to say you're getting
    > "green movement." What caused you to believe that you had to uninstall or
    > delete codecs?

    Some time ago I could watch some particular video without problems. Then, after
    a year or so, when I used the same machine again, the video was unwatchable: a
    lot of green colour, something "moving" (as in: the opposite of static) but not
    resembling anything, in one word: garbage. Sound was ok, though. So, after
    trying out several different video files with several different players (with
    same results) I wanted to re-set the machine so that I would be able to watch
    them. I tried the conventionals (as described in my previous post), to no avail.
    Rather than taking a Voyage to the centre of the W...indows, learning all the
    gory details of innumerable - and I quote - hacks
    (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/15/71552/7795 ) - unquote, which would
    take intolerable amounts of time and nerves, I decided to format c: and
    reincarnate the whole machine. Then something struck me and I decided to ask in
    this NG first and hope for a miracle. So far, nothing. I guess I'll have to
    (plug and) pray some more. ;-)

    | Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    | > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi everybody,
    | > |
    | > | I was trying to set some machine in order, uninstalled everything I
    could
    | > find
    | > | remotely resembling a codec in Control panel -> Add or Remove
    Programs,
    | > and then
    | > | reinstalled only the necessary ones, but the result is the same: some
    | > green
    | > | movement instead of a clear video. So, before I go down the format c:
    path
    | > (G,
    | > | thanks, M$!), I thought I'd ask some questions here:
    | > |
    | > | 1. How does one go about cleaning the machine of that codecs mess? I
    mean
    | > | completely cleaning: files as well as settings that remain after the
    | > uninstall
    | > | (this is an oxymoron, I know, but Windows seem to be this way).
    | > |
    | > | 2. How to manualy install codecs? What is a "raw" codec file? Where do
    you
    | > get
    | > | it (_not_ the installer!)? Where do you put it? What system
    (registry?)
    | > settings
    | > | must be set? Where?
    | > |
    | > | Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    | >
    | > You haven't described the original problem other than to say you're
    getting
    | > "green movement." What caused you to believe that you had to uninstall
    or
    | > delete codecs?
    |
    | Some time ago I could watch some particular video without problems. Then,
    after
    | a year or so, when I used the same machine again, the video was
    unwatchable: a
    | lot of green colour, something "moving" (as in: the opposite of static)
    but not
    | resembling anything, in one word: garbage. Sound was ok, though. So, after
    | trying out several different video files with several different players
    (with
    | same results) I wanted to re-set the machine so that I would be able to
    watch
    | them. I tried the conventionals (as described in my previous post), to no
    avail.
    | Rather than taking a Voyage to the centre of the W...indows, learning all
    the
    | gory details of innumerable - and I quote - hacks
    | (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/15/71552/7795 ) - unquote, which
    would
    | take intolerable amounts of time and nerves, I decided to format c: and
    | reincarnate the whole machine. Then something struck me and I decided to
    ask in
    | this NG first and hope for a miracle. So far, nothing. I guess I'll have
    | (plug and) pray some more. ;-)

    This doesn't sound like a codec issue. You don't mention whether you've
    tried updating the your video card driver, but I would start there. If you
    have a player such as Power DVD that includes the necessary codecs, update
    your video driver, reinstall the player, and see what happens.

    Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > | > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > |
    > could
    > | > find
    > Programs,
    > | > and then
    > | > green
    > path
    > | > (G,
    > | > |
    > mean
    > | > uninstall
    > | > |
    > you
    > | > get
    > (registry?)
    > | > settings
    > | > |

    > | > You haven't described the original problem other than to say you're
    > getting
    > | > "green movement." What caused you to believe that you had to uninstall
    > or
    > | > delete codecs?
    > |
    > | Some time ago I could watch some particular video without problems. Then,
    > after
    > | a year or so, when I used the same machine again, the video was
    > unwatchable: a
    > | lot of green colour, something "moving" (as in: the opposite of static)
    > but not
    > | resembling anything, in one word: garbage. Sound was ok, though. So, after
    > | trying out several different video files with several different players
    > (with
    > | same results) I wanted to re-set the machine so that I would be able to
    > watch
    > | them. I tried the conventionals (as described in my previous post), to no
    > avail.
    > | Rather than taking a Voyage to the centre of the W...indows, learning all
    > the
    > | gory details of innumerable - and I quote - hacks
    > | (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/15/71552/7795 ) - unquote, which
    > would
    > | take intolerable amounts of time and nerves, I decided to format c: and
    > | reincarnate the whole machine. Then something struck me and I decided to
    > ask in
    > | this NG first and hope for a miracle. So far, nothing. I guess I'll have
    > | (plug and) pray some more. ;-)
    >
    > This doesn't sound like a codec issue. You don't mention whether you've
    > tried updating the your video card driver, but I would start there. If you
    > have a player such as Power DVD that includes the necessary codecs, update
    > your video driver, reinstall the player, and see what happens.

    I could watch the video in quesion (and all others) without problems a year (or
    so) ago on the same (HW-wise) machine. Why would I want to update the drivers?
    they worked back then.

    | Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    | > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | > |
    | > could
    | > Programs,
    some
    | > path
    | > | > |
    | > mean
    | > | > |
    Where do
    | > you
    | > (registry?)
    | > | > |

    | > getting
    | > or
    | > |
    | > | Some time ago I could watch some particular video without problems.
    Then,
    | > after
    | > | a year or so, when I used the same machine again, the video was
    | > unwatchable: a
    | > | lot of green colour, something "moving" (as in: the opposite of
    static)
    | > but not
    | > | resembling anything, in one word: garbage. Sound was ok, though. So,
    after
    | > | trying out several different video files with several different
    players
    | > (with
    | > | same results) I wanted to re-set the machine so that I would be able
    | > watch
    | > | them. I tried the conventionals (as described in my previous post), to
    no
    | > avail.
    | > | Rather than taking a Voyage to the centre of the W...indows, learning
    all
    | > the
    | > | gory details of innumerable - and I quote - hacks
    | > | (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/2/15/71552/7795 ) - unquote, which
    | > would
    | > | take intolerable amounts of time and nerves, I decided to format c:
    and
    | > | reincarnate the whole machine. Then something struck me and I decided
    | > ask in
    | > | this NG first and hope for a miracle. So far, nothing. I guess I'll
    have
    | > | (plug and) pray some more. ;-)
    | >
    | > This doesn't sound like a codec issue. You don't mention whether you've
    | > tried updating the your video card driver, but I would start there. If
    you
    | > have a player such as Power DVD that includes the necessary codecs,
    update
    | > your video driver, reinstall the player, and see what happens.
    | >

    | I could watch the video in quesion (and all others) without problems a
    year (or
    | so) ago on the same (HW-wise) machine. Why would I want to update the
    drivers?
    | they worked back then.

    You were able to watch video a year ago, so why would you want to update the
    codecs now? They worked back then.

    Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > | > "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > | > |
    > | > could
    > | > Programs,
    > some
    > c:
    > | > path
    > | > | > |
    > | > mean
    > the
    > | > | > |
    > Where do
    > | > you
    > | > (registry?)
    > | > | > |

    > | > getting
    > uninstall
    > | > or
    > | > |
    > Then,
    > | > after
    > | > unwatchable: a
    > static)
    > | > but not
    > after
    > players
    > | > (with
    > | > watch
    > no
    > | > avail.
    > all
    > | > the
    > | > would
    > and
    > | > ask in
    > have
    > | >
    > | > This doesn't sound like a codec issue. You don't mention whether you've
    > | > tried updating the your video card driver, but I would start there. If
    > you
    > | > have a player such as Power DVD that includes the necessary codecs,
    > update
    > | > your video driver, reinstall the player, and see what happens.
    > | >

    > | I could watch the video in quesion (and all others) without problems a
    > year (or
    > | so) ago on the same (HW-wise) machine. Why would I want to update the
    > drivers?
    > | they worked back then.
    >
    > You were able to watch video a year ago, so why would you want to update the
    > codecs now? They worked back then.

    Because unfortunately Windows is prone to deterioration. The same software that
    works in the beginning (right after fresh install) develops serious glitches as
    time passes. Format and reinstall solves that problem. For a while. ;-)

    Ergo: with HW configuration unchanged the same drivers and codecs should work
    after a fresh install. Or a proper clean up.

    Now, aren't there any MS-certified-<something>s in the Whole Wide Whirl ;-) who
    could tell me how to manualy (un)install codecs so that I'd know exactly what
    goes where and be able to clean up without using the F command?

    Eltee wrote:
    > Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> "Eltee" <eltee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> | > | > |
    >> everything
    >> same:
    >> some
    >> format
    >> c:
    >> | > | > |
    >> mess?
    >> after
    >> the
    >> | > | > |
    >> Where do
    >> | > | > |

    >> you're
    >> uninstall
    >> | > |
    >> Then,
    >> static)
    >> So,
    >> after
    >> players
    >> able
    >> post), to
    >> no
    >> learning
    >> all
    >> which
    >> and
    >> decided
    >> have

    >> you've
    >> there. If
    >> you
    >> update
    >> | >

    >> | I could watch the video in quesion (and all others) without problems a
    >> year (or
    >> | so) ago on the same (HW-wise) machine. Why would I want to update the
    >> drivers?
    >> | they worked back then.
    >>
    >> You were able to watch video a year ago, so why would you want to
    >> update the
    >> codecs now? They worked back then.
    >

    > Because unfortunately Windows is prone to deterioration. The same
    > software that works in the beginning (right after fresh install)
    > develops serious glitches as time passes. Format and reinstall solves
    > that problem. For a while. ;-)
    >
    > Ergo: with HW configuration unchanged the same drivers and codecs should
    > work after a fresh install. Or a proper clean up.
    >
    > Now, aren't there any MS-certified-<something>s in the Whole Wide Whirl
    > ;-) who could tell me how to manualy (un)install codecs so that I'd know
    > exactly what goes where and be able to clean up without using the F
    > command?

    You've already been given good advice and you declined it. Suit
    yourself. XP is *not* "prone to deterioration." I'll ask once again:
    What makes you think a codec could go bad, but not a video driver?
    Actually, it's a rhetorical question--no answer is required. If you're
    not interested in solving the problem, why bother posting?

    Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

    >> Because unfortunately Windows is prone to deterioration. The same
    >> software that works in the beginning (right after fresh install)
    >> develops serious glitches as time passes. Format and reinstall solves
    >> that problem. For a while. ;-)
    >>
    >> Ergo: with HW configuration unchanged the same drivers and codecs
    >> should work after a fresh install. Or a proper clean up.
    >>
    >> Now, aren't there any MS-certified-<something>s in the Whole Wide
    >> Whirl ;-) who could tell me how to manualy (un)install codecs so that
    >> I'd know exactly what goes where and be able to clean up without using
    >> the F command?
    >

    > You've already been given good advice and you declined it. Suit
    > yourself. XP is *not* "prone to deterioration."

    Call it what you like. The fact of the matter is that after some period of
    using, installing and uninstalling programs, Windows is in dire need of cleaning
    up (read: formatting and reinstalling everything from the ground up). Otherwise
    it becomes unusable.

    > I'll ask once again:
    > What makes you think a codec could go bad, but not a video driver?

    Because DVDs are watchable and some of the .avi's aren't. Do you think a video
    driver differentiates between them?

    > Actually, it's a rhetorical question--no answer is required. If you're
    > not interested in solving the problem, why bother posting?

Control Panel Codec Microsoft Windows XP