PC reads CDRW drive as just CD

I'm running windows 2000, and I replaced my CD drive with a CDRW, but the
machine is still reading it as CD and won't allow me to write anything. I
tried to update drivers, but it still won't recognize it as CDRW.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about reads cdrw drive

    adam fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

    > I'm running windows 2000, and I replaced my CD drive with a CDRW, but
    > the machine is still reading it as CD and won't allow me to write
    > anything. I tried to update drivers, but it still won't recognize it
    > as CDRW.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated, thanks!

    Have you actually installed any CD writing software?

    The CD isn't just immediately a writable device in Win 2000 until you
    add the CD creation software such as Nero etc.

    http://www.nero.com/en/index.html

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    windows 2k shows cd writers as a cd rom drive
    if you want to write any thing on a cd-rw by your cd writer
    you must use a cd burner software like Clone CD , Nero etc.

    see the following link for details:
    http://www.nero.com/en/nero-prog.html

    Kind Regards,
    Farzad Hayati.

    "adam" <adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running windows 2000, and I replaced my CD drive with a CDRW, but the
    > machine is still reading it as CD and won't allow me to write anything. I
    > tried to update drivers, but it still won't recognize it as CDRW.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Windows 2000 CD-Rom Windows