Hard drive active all the time

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 16, 2005 2:19:10 PM

I have a 450MHz Compaq Deskpro with 256megs memory and I'm trying to
figure out why the hard drive is active so much of the time, often even
when I'm not doing anything. The slightest thing (opening up Control
Panel, opening up a menu, opening up an email) causes the drive to kick
in for way too long. I have a C: and D: virtual drive, with a 200 meg
paging file on each drive. I can't imagine it's a malware problem, as I
have full firewall and anti-virus protection. Maybe 450MHz is too slow
and 256megs not enough memory? Any thoughts?

More about : hard drive active time

April 16, 2005 7:38:06 PM

Asertain make of hd, visit manu.web site download diagnostics utility - it
can be the sign of a failing hd.

"Rick C." <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I have a 450MHz Compaq Deskpro with 256megs memory and I'm trying to
> figure out why the hard drive is active so much of the time, often even
> when I'm not doing anything. The slightest thing (opening up Control
> Panel, opening up a menu, opening up an email) causes the drive to kick
> in for way too long. I have a C: and D: virtual drive, with a 200 meg
> paging file on each drive. I can't imagine it's a malware problem, as I
> have full firewall and anti-virus protection. Maybe 450MHz is too slow
> and 256megs not enough memory? Any thoughts?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 9:10:06 PM

If you have S.M.A.R.T. on your drives, be sure it is enabled.

!