Hard drive active all the time

I have a 450MHz Compaq Deskpro with 256megs memory and I'm trying to
figure out why the hard drive is active so much of the time, often even
when I'm not doing anything. The slightest thing (opening up Control
Panel, opening up a menu, opening up an email) causes the drive to kick
in for way too long. I have a C: and D: virtual drive, with a 200 meg
paging file on each drive. I can't imagine it's a malware problem, as I
have full firewall and anti-virus protection. Maybe 450MHz is too slow
and 256megs not enough memory? Any thoughts?
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive active time

    Asertain make of hd, visit manu.web site download diagnostics utility - it
    can be the sign of a failing hd.

    "Rick C." <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I have a 450MHz Compaq Deskpro with 256megs memory and I'm trying to
    > figure out why the hard drive is active so much of the time, often even
    > when I'm not doing anything. The slightest thing (opening up Control
    > Panel, opening up a menu, opening up an email) causes the drive to kick
    > in for way too long. I have a C: and D: virtual drive, with a 200 meg
    > paging file on each drive. I can't imagine it's a malware problem, as I
    > have full firewall and anti-virus protection. Maybe 450MHz is too slow
    > and 256megs not enough memory? Any thoughts?

    If you have S.M.A.R.T. on your drives, be sure it is enabled.

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > Asertain make of hd, visit manu.web site download diagnostics utility - it
    > can be the sign of a failing hd.
    >
    > "Rick C." <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a 450MHz Compaq Deskpro with 256megs memory and I'm trying to
    > > figure out why the hard drive is active so much of the time, often even
    > > when I'm not doing anything. The slightest thing (opening up Control
    > > Panel, opening up a menu, opening up an email) causes the drive to kick
    > > in for way too long. I have a C: and D: virtual drive, with a 200 meg
    > > paging file on each drive. I can't imagine it's a malware problem, as I
    > > have full firewall and anti-virus protection. Maybe 450MHz is too slow
    > > and 256megs not enough memory? Any thoughts?

Hard Drives Windows