How install Win2000 with Win98se which is already installed

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 16, 2005 6:38:13 PM

Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows 2000
beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work with
win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can anybody
tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded win
98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
drive C

Regards
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:38:14 PM

naderbd wrote:
> Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows 2000
> beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work with
> win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can anybody
> tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded win
> 98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
> My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
> drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
> drive C
>
> Regards

The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x and Win2K
would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

C: FAT32 Win9x/Legacy Apps & Games
D: NTFS Win2K/Modern Apps

Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
applications. You needn't use the FAT32 or NTFS file systems for the
two OS partitions unless you want to, but this configuration allows
you to take full advantage of both OS's partition size, file
management, and (for Win2K) security features. If you like, all of
the partitions, as long as they're no larger than 2 Gb, can be FAT16.
I don't recommend this, however, as it's terribly wasteful of hard
drive space. When I last converted a 2 Gb FAT16 partition to FAT32, I
gained an additional 300 Mb of free space. (Your results will vary, of
course, based upon the types and sizes of files you have on the
partition.)

Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

Install Win9x first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
directory. When you subsequently install Win2K, be sure to specify
"D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
partition. The Win2K installation routine will automatically set up a
Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
readily edited from within Win2K. NOTE: If you elect to place Win98
on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as FAT32.

This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
second operating system on the second hard drive.

It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
installation data during the first uninstall action.

Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administr...

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
April 17, 2005 3:47:38 AM

I would imagine you might be a little tight on hd space if you install both
and some modern apps.

"naderbd" <naderbd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows 2000
> beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work with
> win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can anybody
> tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded win
> 98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
> My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
> drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
> drive C
>
> Regards

April 17, 2005 2:12:07 PM

Installing both OS's to the same partition is just asking for trouble.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"naderbd" wrote:
| Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows 2000
| beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work with
| win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can anybody
| tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded win
| 98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
| My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
| drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
| drive C
|
| Regards

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:39:08 PM

Windows 98 requires less than 1 GByte.
Windows 2000 requires typically 2 GBytes, depending on the number of
installed applications.

Unless the OP has a very large number of applications, or a very
large amount of user data, he won't have any problems with his
13 GByte disk.

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> I would imagine you might be a little tight on hd space if you install
both
> and some modern apps.
>
> "naderbd" <naderbd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows
2000
> > beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work
with
> > win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can
anybody
> > tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded
win
> > 98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
> > My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
> > drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
> > drive C
> >
> > Regards

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 9:08:44 PM

I agree with Dave: do not install Win2K in the same partition as Win98SE. My
recommendations:

1. Get a second hard drive, say 40 GB or so.

2. Spend a little time and effort and reinstall your OS's on the large
drive, using TWO partitions. Figure one day max for this if you don't know
what you are doing.

3. On the large drive, call the Win98SE partition C. Install it FIRST.

4. On the large drive, call the Win2K partition D. Install it SECOND, from
Win98SE, and do a CLEAN install.

4. Use the 13 GB drive for data (mine has the label DOCUMENTS and contains
all my data).

This will give you plenty of room and will protect you from the failure of
either hard drive. E.g. if you lose the OS drive, your data will be safe.
This is my scheme, used for many years, and it works perfectly. I rebuild my
systems with impunity, knowing my precious documents are on a different
drive.

P.S.: my disk usage:

WinME: 3.2 GB on C)
) Disk 0
Win2K: 9.5 GB on G)

DOCUMENTS: 8.6 GB on D) Disk 1

Total: 21.3 GB

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Installing both OS's to the same partition is just asking for trouble.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "naderbd" wrote:
> | Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows
2000
> | beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work
with
> | win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can
anybody
> | tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded
win
> | 98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
> | My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
> | drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
> | drive C
> |
> | Regards

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:41:57 AM

Don't do it. Install Windows 2000 in D. It is not a supported configuration to have Windows 98 and Windows 2000 on the same partition.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"naderbd" <naderbd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5ceb6913b945ae9e21bc450868201ec9@localhost.talkaboutsoftware.com...
> Hi.i already have win98 in my computer and i want to install windows 2000
> beside win98 cause there is some software and hardware does not work with
> win98 any more , i want to keep win98 in my computer so please can anybody
> tell me how excately install windows 2000 with my previous downloaded win
> 98 with the capability to run win98 or win 2000...
> My Hard drive is 13GBs and it is devided in two portions c and d the c
> drive contains win 98 and in i want to install windows 2000 in the same
> drive C
>
> Regards

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:29:23 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:41:57 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Don't do it. Install Windows 2000 in D. It is not a supported configuration to have Windows 98 and Windows 2000 on the same partition.

For the attention of George Hester.

I frequently look at the New Groups and this is one of the most
important for gaining information and see where other people go wrong
so as not to fall in the same trap myself.

I am writing to you as you are one of the people using Outlook
Express.
Quite a few people are using it, and it seems that the program has no
limit to the lenght of a line so that a messages may come in one long
line.

Is there no facility for altering that. I notice that a previous mail
answered by Dave Patrick has been reset to a proper size, probably
automatically by Dave's program. It was a joy to read.

I hope my note will make you and other users of Outlook Express change
the line lenght to suit a standard 80 char screen, please.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:16:39 AM

No it happens because your reader cannot wrap on it's own. I know that on the Web it will also appear
long without end. I actually have configured it this way to allow links I send to NOT be messed up.
Also I forget to hit the ENTER button at the end of what I think is long enough when I type. Note this
one has no issue. Sometimes I remember (to help those with funky newsreaders) but sometimes I
forget. Sorry.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message news:u1o661dtuk1h9cghdvqfjpqvse4n29m252@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:41:57 -0400, "George Hester"
> <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Don't do it. Install Windows 2000 in D. It is not a supported configuration to have Windows 98 and Windows 2000 on the same partition.
>

> For the attention of George Hester.
>
> I frequently look at the New Groups and this is one of the most
> important for gaining information and see where other people go wrong
> so as not to fall in the same trap myself.
>
> I am writing to you as you are one of the people using Outlook
> Express.
> Quite a few people are using it, and it seems that the program has no
> limit to the lenght of a line so that a messages may come in one long
> line.
>
> Is there no facility for altering that. I notice that a previous mail
> answered by Dave Patrick has been reset to a proper size, probably
> automatically by Dave's program. It was a joy to read.
>
> I hope my note will make you and other users of Outlook Express change
> the line lenght to suit a standard 80 char screen, please.
>
> B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
> If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:36:40 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:16:39 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
I am running forte agent and have done that for years and not known
that it will wrap - so sorry - I did not mean to cause offense.

I have now set word wrap on so I am waiting to see if it happens.
Your message was brilliant and so well managed :-)

!