Help with a processor upgrade

SteveMcCool

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
Hello,

I have a problem with my computer. I can't get it to boot. I got my machine a few years ago. My dad's a big-time CEO and he bought me the best computer I could get for my birthday. It cost him almost $10,000. But recently I decided I wanted to get in on some of that quad-core technology, so I made him buy me the most expensive quad-core model from Intel. I decided to install it myself because I had not done anything like that before and so I figured it was time for me to get wise. I took out my old AMD processor off the motherboard without too much trouble, but the new one wouldn't fit right. After awhile I got it to work, but I had to use a hammer to make it go in the socket. Now when I press the power button it makes a few noises and shuts off. Can anyone help me fix this?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Mr. McCool,

An Intel chip will not fit in an AMD socket. Even if it did, it wouldn't work.

Secondly, any computer a year old, even with the proper socket, wouldn't support the Core2Quad.

Best option, get a new rig.

-Darious

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
You know the movie "Stewie Griffin: The Untold story," the part where Stewie asks Brian to shave his coin purse? My first reaction to this thread to was to laugh like Brian did to that request.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
It's a Joke. If he actually knows what a Quad-Core is then he obviously Is Joking.
My Conclusion is that If you Know what a Motherboard is Then you know what a CPU is, and If you know what a Conroe is the you know what Performance is. And if you know what Quad-Core is then you know everything.(he's in the 3rd Category, It's probably jumping jack or TAbrisdarkpeice

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
and if you actually used a hammer to jam a quad core intel cpu into an amd mobo, you should be condemned to death by stoning. then your body should be dragged throughout the streets with a truck as an example.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Nah, that'd just be counter productive. See, what you want them to do is buy processor after processor. That way the price stays up higher in the short term, but once they realize their mistake, the over production on Intel's part will cause sellers to drop down the price.

We need rich people to buy the high priced stuff so it can become more affordable to po' folk like me.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
and if you actually used a hammer to jam a quad core intel cpu into an amd mobo, you should be condemned to death by stoning. then your body should be dragged throughout the streets with a truck as an example.
It's a LGA and AMD's latest sockets (1207 excluded) are all PGA, so there's a good chance we're not at the hammer now :roll:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
he's full of crap.

it wouldn't fit and even so why use a hammer and how would you use it?
That's right, the only case a hammer might be used is when fitting a S479 Intel CPU into a S478, or a S940 AMD CPU into a S939 :lol:

TRENDING THREADS