Semi-new PC build is totally dead......any ideas?

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I've been using my semi-new build for about 6 months. It has suddenly died. Hit the power switch......nothing at all. When I look inside the case, the motherboard shows the Green Power LED light, so I know it's getting some juice, but nothing else works at all. No fans, No POST, no nothing. I even tried switching the reset and pwr on buttons on the motherboard to see if that would help. No result. I'm guessing we may have a power supply issue, but is there any way to know that without taking it to a shop? I don't have any spares around to test with I'm afraid. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. :(

AMD 3800 x2
Asus A8N-SLI
1GB Corsair DDR 400
WD 250 EIDE
Ati x1800xt
Antec Smartpower 500w ATX 2.0 compliant PSU
(came with 1050 Performance case)

Well when mine did that exact same thing it turned out to be the ASUS motherboard, but I have a power supply tester and was able to eliminate that as the problem, but its either the M/B or the P/S and I'd bet money its that good ole ASUS M/B.

skylane69

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Mine did a similar thing a few months ago. It was working just fine, then kaput for no reason. After I unplugged it and then plugged it back in I would push the power button all the fans would start spinning for about a tenth of a second and then nothing. The only thing it would do was blink the power light on the front. I wasn't sure what it was but I suspected the power supply. I pulled it out and smelled it. Now, I'm not sure what power supplies normally smell like but this one smelt 'burnt'. So, I took a chance and bought a new power supply. The machine powered right back up and it has worked just fine for a few months now.

So, just becuase the motherboard is getting power off of one rail I wouldn't discount the fact that the power supply may very well be the issue. That would also be the easiest thing to change out, though you may end up spending $100 you didn't need to.

Also interesting to note, my power supply was an Antec TruePower 430 which is likely very similar to yours. Antec supposedly makes good products but this one failed on me. I RMA'd it and they replaced it, but now I have an extra power supply laying around. Guess I have to build another computer.... oh darn. :wink:

Good luck.

My machine:
AMD 3800 x2
MSI Neo4 Platinum MB
2 GB Corsair DDR 400
Two 200 GB WD disks in Raid 0
BFG 7800GT
Antec TruePower 430 (still...now I have two.)

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Sup Rosanjin;

Just out of curiosity did the machine flat power off while you were using it or were you trying to power it back up after it being off for awhile when you noticed the failure, this information would be helpful in determining the problem.

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Actually it died twice while playing WOW for more than an hour in the 2 days leading up to the total startup failure. Right before the major failure, it had been off since the night before. I was originally concerned about possible thermal issues (though cpu temps never exceeded 42 C by all reports) until it simply wouldn't start. I will buy a power supply tester soon. Thanks for the advice.

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Just tested power suppy with new Vastech ATX 2.0 Power Supply Tester. As soon as I plugged the 24pin connector from the psu to the tester, every fan and LED light started running properly. Green lights lit up for +3.3v , -12v, PG, +5vsb, + 12v and +5v, but NOT for -5v.

Forgive my abject stupidity, but can someone help me translate these results? Also, I reseated the 24pin connector back in the motherboard, but no change occurred. Still won't boot or activate. Does this indicate that the motherboard is toast?

Again, thank you all for you help. I'm glad we have such helpful readers at Tom's. :D

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Just tested power suppy with new Vastech ATX 2.0 Power Supply Tester. As soon as I plugged the 24pin connector from the psu to the tester, every fan and LED light started running properly. Green lights lit up for +3.3v , -12v, PG, +5vsb, + 12v and +5v, but NOT for -5v.

Forgive my abject stupidity, but can someone help me translate these results? Also, I reseated the 24pin connector back in the motherboard, but no change occurred. Still won't boot or activate. Does this indicate that the motherboard is toast?

Again, thank you all for you help. I'm glad we have such helpful readers at Tom's. :D

(xlate)
Ugh, yer -5v rail is, like, BAD, ersumjunk. Yer ganna need mur Power Capt'n!
(/xlate)

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Well, now we know. One of the tech guys at my office had an Ultra 600W power supply lying around. Popped the sucker in, and I'm up and running. As it turns out, the old supply (Antec 500W) is still under warranty. Going to RMA it, but might try to buy this PSU off the guy, since I'm such a lazy schmuck.

Thanks everybody. You guys were a great help! :D

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Heh. That's good. I was unfortunate when I build my computer. At first, I had a OCZ GameXStream 600 WATT power supply. Worked fine until one day I came home and the computer had rebooted and was stuck at the BIOS saysing that it detected an over voltage. Therefore, I RMA'd the power supply and ended up buying another power supply (Antec True Power 480WATT for $120... rip off if you ask me, but I was desperate). In the end, OCZ gave me a free upgrade to a 700 WATT power supply. Sadly, the three power supplies I've gotten from OCZ, the 12V rails are EXTREMELY HIGH!!! But oh well. My computer hasn't rebooted yet saying that there was an overvoltage yet (knocks on wood). But the Antec True Power 480 WATT was sufficient. And may I add, inaudible compared to the OCZ GameXStream 700 WATT. Want a good power supply, look for something with high 12V rails and Active PFC :wink:

Also depending on your case, sometimes, modular power supplies are nice (could have used if for my Antec P180B case x.x)

Well, glad to see you solved the problem :)