Upgrade to 2000 and NIC drivers

Laurie

I've gone thru several posts to see if I could solve my issue, but no such
luck. I have 98 and want to go to either Office XP or 2000. I hope I don't
sound redundant.

I was given some very helpful advice, but I still have a couple of
questions, and my former advice giver is not available at this time, so I
come to you.

1- NTFS or FAT32; what is that all about? Or when I place the CD in to load
the program in, will I have to concern myself with it? If I do, what is the
process? (please talk to me as though I were 2).

2- NIC/modem drivers. I was advised to download the appropriate driver
before installing the new program. I don't know which one to install! I have
a Compaq Armanda E500, and here is what info I have. If more is required, I
may be able to find it if pointed in the right direction.
128.0MB Ram.

3- When I do get to load the new program, should I save all of my files? My
gut tells me yes, but I'm looking for some confirmation...

thanks for your help in advance, it's greatly appreciated.

"Laurie" wrote:
| I've gone thru several posts to see if I could solve my issue, but no such
| luck. I have 98 and want to go to either Office XP or 2000. I hope I don't
| sound redundant.
|
| I was given some very helpful advice, but I still have a couple of
| questions, and my former advice giver is not available at this time, so I
| come to you.
|
| 1- NTFS or FAT32; what is that all about? Or when I place the CD in to
load
| the program in, will I have to concern myself with it? If I do, what is
the
| process? (please talk to me as though I were 2).
* NTFS is the native file system of Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

| 2- NIC/modem drivers. I was advised to download the appropriate driver
| before installing the new program. I don't know which one to install! I
have
| a Compaq Armanda E500, and here is what info I have. If more is required,
| may be able to find it if pointed in the right direction.
| 128.0MB Ram.
* Check the compaq web site to see if the pc/ mobo/ sysyem bios are
compatable with Windows 2000 and or Windows XP
128 mB is woefully too little. You'll probably want at least 512 mB

| 3- When I do get to load the new program, should I save all of my files?
My
| gut tells me yes, but I'm looking for some confirmation...

* Be advised that upgrades from win9x almost always fail for any number of
reasons. Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than
likely end up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left
behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean
install.

Windows 2000:
To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Windows XP:
To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Laurie

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
> or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
>

> Windows XP:
> To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
> the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
> delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
> the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
> install.
>
> Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before

Thank you for the quick response, I was very happy to see your advice. I
have popped on over to Compaq's site and am muddeling my way thru the
information.
I may be back, Patrick! Again, thank you very much! Goodnight!

Laurie

"Laurie" <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> >
> > Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install
before
> > connecting to any network.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-
8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >

> Thank you for the quick response, I was very happy to see your advice. I
> have popped on over to Compaq's site and am muddeling my way thru the
> information.
> I may be back, Patrick! Again, thank you very much! Goodnight!

Hi Laurie,

Windows NT based O/S's (NT4, W2K, WXP) thrive on memory. 128MB might noit be
enough. You'll see a huge increase in reliability, but you may be
disappointed by the performance. RAM is cheap, get more.
]