Scheduled tasks

hi

i have a scheduled task which runs at 7 PM everyday and it was running
smoothly and it used to end in 15 to 20 mts.last 2 weeks i find some wierd
thing happening. the task runs smothly on all days except saturday. on
saturday alone it does not
end after 15 to 20 minutes but proceeds the whole night until i come next
day morning and close it. what is still more wierd is even after i close the
window
it shows the status as oxo. there is no error message in event viewer.

any clue on why on saturdays alone it does not end in 15 to 20 mts but runs
the whoe night till next day morning ?

"sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i have a scheduled task which runs at 7 PM everyday and it was running
> smoothly and it used to end in 15 to 20 mts.last 2 weeks i find some wierd
> thing happening. the task runs smothly on all days except saturday. on
> saturday alone it does not
> end after 15 to 20 minutes but proceeds the whole night until i come next
> day morning and close it. what is still more wierd is even after i close
the
> window
> it shows the status as oxo. there is no error message in event viewer.
>
> any clue on why on saturdays alone it does not end in 15 to 20 mts but
runs
> the whoe night till next day morning ?

It's a little hard to say what's going on because you're not
telling us anything at all about the task you're running. In
the absence of this absolutely vital information, I suggest
you embed your task in a batch file like so, then examine
the two log files it creates:

@echo off
echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log

hi

thanks for the quick response. i understood your script. but what do i put
instead of
c:\Tools\YourTask.exe. i gave c:\windows\tasks\copyxdrive.job ,,,,

but it gave me error in this line. Am i doing anything wrong ?

regards

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi
> >
> > i have a scheduled task which runs at 7 PM everyday and it was running
> > smoothly and it used to end in 15 to 20 mts.last 2 weeks i find some wierd
> > thing happening. the task runs smothly on all days except saturday. on
> > saturday alone it does not
> > end after 15 to 20 minutes but proceeds the whole night until i come next
> > day morning and close it. what is still more wierd is even after i close
> the
> > window
> > it shows the status as oxo. there is no error message in event viewer.
> >
> > any clue on why on saturdays alone it does not end in 15 to 20 mts but
> runs
> > the whoe night till next day morning ?
>
> It's a little hard to say what's going on because you're not
> telling us anything at all about the task you're running. In
> the absence of this absolutely vital information, I suggest
> you embed your task in a batch file like so, then examine
> the two log files it creates:
>
> @echo off
> echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
> echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
> c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
> echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
> echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log

copyxdrive.job is the name of the taks you're running.
You cannot execute a job from within a batch file -
you must copy & paste the command line from this
job into the batch file. I suspect it is a copy or xcopy
command. If so then you do not need to specify a path -
just the exact "copy" command that you have in your
task, complete with every switch and every parameter.