unable to update Norton Antivirus..??

hi
I am using W2k Proff.
I have intstalled Norton Antivirus, and it is now
not updating.
When i try to access the site www.symantec.com..thorugh IE6
it is also not opening. All other sites are opening.
Is the virus/worm problem..should i format and re-install..
or any other solution for this.??

thank n rgds
Inder

Check the contents of your hosts file. Probably contains a line or lines
redirecting symantec.com to 127.0.0.1
Delete these lines, save the file and try again.

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Inder" wrote:
| hi
| I am using W2k Proff.
| I have intstalled Norton Antivirus, and it is now
| not updating.
| When i try to access the site www.symantec.com..thorugh IE6
| it is also not opening. All other sites are opening.
| Is the virus/worm problem..should i format and re-install..
| or any other solution for this.??
|

| thank n rgds
| Inder

You either have a virus or spyware which has probably changed your 'hosts'
file.

Search for 'hosts' file, open it & if you see symantec 127.0.0.1 delete that
line & the others except 'localhost 127.0.0.1' The 'hosts' file is read
only, so, you'll need to right-click, Properties, remove read only check,
click Apply & then click Ok

Download SpyBot S & D here and update it:

http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

Latest def's:

http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

You can download the latest version of Symantec Virus Definitions by
clicking here:

Page:
-----

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/defs.download.html <--- choose from the list

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html <---- direct page

Direct link (17th April):
-----------------------

http://definitions.symantec.com/defs/20050417-041-i32.exe <---- link to
intelligent updater file

Note:

SpyBot S & D is 100% FREE unless you wish to donate, but don't feel oblidged

I hope the above information helps.

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

hi

i have cleared everything in hosts file..it is blank now..and removed
all the permissions..

its working now..
thanks
Inder

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.

--

"Inder" wrote:
| hi
|
| i have cleared everything in hosts file..it is blank now..and removed
| all the permissions..
|
| its working now..
| thanks
| Inder

Are you following me, Dave? I answered the users question & you replied for
me. I find that strange

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE