How to keep app running on power off POcketPC 2003

March 23, 2005 6:31:27 PM

Hi,

I have an app that logs information from a serial port on my Pocket PC.
It appears that when I turn the PocketPC off, the app stops recieving data.
How can I force the application to keep running ALL THE TIME.

Thanks

B :)
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:31:28 PM

"Brian" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an app that logs information from a serial port on my Pocket PC.
> It appears that when I turn the PocketPC off, the app stops recieving
data.
> How can I force the application to keep running ALL THE TIME.
>
> Thanks
>
> B :)

You need to be more clear.

Is the PPC RECEIVING serial data from an external
device or is it TRANSMITTING serial data from some
app running on it?

Either way, if you turn the PPC off, things will stop, as expected,
no surprise there.

Short answer, to either config., don't turn the PPC off.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:31:28 PM

Hi

This is by design, there is a way tho...

You can use a utillity that turn of the screen but keeps the machine running
instead..

fx. this freeware utillity looks like it can do the trick
http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/screenswitch.shtml

Regards,

Allan Boegild Pedersen
MCSA 2003

"Brian" <nospam@nospam.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi,
>
> I have an app that logs information from a serial port on my Pocket PC.
> It appears that when I turn the PocketPC off, the app stops recieving
> data.
> How can I force the application to keep running ALL THE TIME.
>
> Thanks
>
> B :)

March 23, 2005 6:31:28 PM

"Brian" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an app that logs information from a serial port on my Pocket PC.
> It appears that when I turn the PocketPC off, the app stops recieving
> data.
> How can I force the application to keep running ALL THE TIME.
>
> Thanks

Is there a reason you are turning off the PPC? If only for the screen, etc,
then there are utilities to turn off the screen, as others have stated. Be
sure to adjust your power setting to not automatically turn off as well.
But the real question would have to be "Why are you turning it off"? After
all, in a power down mode the ports will be off, despite a heartbeat, so to
say.
March 24, 2005 12:39:57 PM

Thank Guys,

Yes, I need the screen to power off so the utilities mentioned will help.
And yes I have set all the power options.

Thanks Again.

B :)

!