Backup to CD - XP Pro SP2

newbie

I want to backup my files to my CD using the backup utility.
I insert a new CDRW and select the CD Drive as my destination but whatever
name I put in for the backup file is says it can't use it and check that it
is a valid path.

What am I doing wrong - I am logged on as an administrator.

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
| I want to backup my files to my CD using the backup utility.
| I insert a new CDRW and select the CD Drive as my destination but whatever
| name I put in for the backup file is says it can't use it and check that
it
| is a valid path.
|
| What am I doing wrong - I am logged on as an administrator.

The backup utility supplied with XP will not back up to CDs. If the amount
of data will fit on a single disk you can back up to file on your hard drive
and then burn that file to an optical disk, otherwise you will need a third
party backup program.

To use the XP backup facility, you have to backup to the hard drive, then
copy to CD..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I want to backup my files to my CD using the backup utility.
> I insert a new CDRW and select the CD Drive as my destination but whatever
> name I put in for the backup file is says it can't use it and check that
> it
> is a valid path.
>
> What am I doing wrong - I am logged on as an administrator.

There is a work around here
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm However given the
limitations of NTBackup you would do better to spend money on a more
efficient third party backup solution

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23onFlNK$EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I want to backup my files to my CD using the backup utility.
> I insert a new CDRW and select the CD Drive as my destination but whatever
> name I put in for the backup file is says it can't use it and check that it
> is a valid path.
>
> What am I doing wrong - I am logged on as an administrator.

Using the standard backup method doesn't allow backing up directly to media (i.e. CDRs [W]) etc. You have to back it up directly to your hard drive, then burn it. You could use floppys, but you had better had quite a few. The system is meant for direct backup to a tape drive, or floppy, as it can write to ir as if it were a hard drive.

But, since you mention that you have Pro, why not use ASR (Automated System Recovery), as you can backup directly to CDRWs using that feature.

newbie

ok thanks

Newbie wrote:
> I want to backup my files to my CD using the backup utility.
> I insert a new CDRW and select the CD Drive as my destination but whatever
> name I put in for the backup file is says it can't use it and check that it
> is a valid path.
>
> What am I doing wrong - I am logged on as an administrator.

XP has no backup to CD. (What do ya expect for only $299?)

Nero works very well for me.

I had the same problem on my Dell 8300; Windows XP Pro.

I bought an external "plug and play" hard drive. Now, I can use the Windows
Backup feature with no problems. Even better, the external hard drive is
much faster and more accurate than any other backup media I've tried.

I bought "cheep" too. The LaCie 80gb external hard drive cost $99.00 or so.