Changing from domain to workgroup

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 18, 2005 4:49:31 PM

I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I can't
reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
"admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own password. I
changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access to
my computer.
Thanks for any help
Fernand
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:56:04 AM

"Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
can't
> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own password.
> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access to
> my computer.
> Thanks for any help
> Fernand

You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
you a local account name & password.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:56:05 AM

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
> can't
>> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
>> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
>> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
>> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own
>> password.
>> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access
>> my computer.
>> Thanks for any help
>> Fernand
>>

> You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
> laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
> you a local account name & password.

Yes, I agree with you, but the reason why I changed the networking type is
that I left my former company (domain) to be an independant (workgroup), so
I can't go back to the former administrator. So what?
April 19, 2005 12:56:05 AM

In fact I have a local account name & password where I am administrator.
It was under this log-in that I changed the type. But after the renaming of
network type and reboot under this username, the password was no longer
accepted.
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
> can't
>> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
>> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
>> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
>> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own
>> password.
>> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access
>> my computer.
>> Thanks for any help
>> Fernand
>>

> You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
> laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
> you a local account name & password.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:56:00 AM

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
> > can't
> >> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized
unter
> >> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
> >> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and
> >> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own
> >> password.
> >> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access
> >> my computer.
> >> Thanks for any help
> >> Fernand
> >>

> > You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
> > laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
> > you a local account name & password.
> >

> Yes, I agree with you, but the reason why I changed the networking type is
> that I left my former company (domain) to be an independant (workgroup),
so
> I can't go back to the former administrator. So what?

Presumably the administrator who gave you the laptop would
have no objection to also giving you appropriate account credentials.
Otherwise it would be like you being given the company car when
parting with your employer, without getting the registration papers.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:56:01 AM

A good point for you
Fernand
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o 9XmY2ARFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > can't
> unter
>> >>

>> > You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
>> > laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
>> > you a local account name & password.
>> >

>> Yes, I agree with you, but the reason why I changed the networking type
>> is
>> that I left my former company (domain) to be an independant (workgroup),
> so
>> I can't go back to the former administrator. So what?
>>

> Presumably the administrator who gave you the laptop would
> have no objection to also giving you appropriate account credentials.
> Otherwise it would be like you being given the company car when
> parting with your employer, without getting the registration papers.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 2:43:22 AM

It seems you had a cached domain account, not a local acount.
When you moved into a workgroup environment, you broke
the trust relationship between your machine and the domain.
You now need a "real" local account.

!