Changing from domain to workgroup

I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I can't
reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
"admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own password. I
changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access to
my computer.
Thanks for any help
Fernand
6 answers Last reply
More about changing domain workgroup

    "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
    can't
    > reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
    > workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
    > "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
    > second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own password.
    > changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access to
    > my computer.
    > Thanks for any help
    > Fernand

    You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
    laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
    you a local account name & password.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
    > can't
    >> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized unter
    >> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
    >> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and a
    >> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own
    >> password.
    >> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access
    >> my computer.
    >> Thanks for any help
    >> Fernand
    >>

    > You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
    > laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
    > you a local account name & password.

    Yes, I agree with you, but the reason why I changed the networking type is
    that I left my former company (domain) to be an independant (workgroup), so
    I can't go back to the former administrator. So what?

    In fact I have a local account name & password where I am administrator.
    It was under this log-in that I changed the type. But after the renaming of
    network type and reboot under this username, the password was no longer
    accepted.

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
    > > can't
    > >> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized
    unter
    > >> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
    > >> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and
    > >> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own
    > >> password.
    > >> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access
    > >> my computer.
    > >> Thanks for any help
    > >> Fernand
    > >>

    > > You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
    > > laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
    > > you a local account name & password.
    > >

    > Yes, I agree with you, but the reason why I changed the networking type is
    > that I left my former company (domain) to be an independant (workgroup),
    so
    > I can't go back to the former administrator. So what?

    Presumably the administrator who gave you the laptop would
    have no objection to also giving you appropriate account credentials.
    Otherwise it would be like you being given the company car when
    parting with your employer, without getting the registration papers.

    A good point for you
    Fernand

    > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > can't
    > unter
    >> >>

    >> > You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
    >> > laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
    >> > you a local account name & password.
    >> >

    >> Yes, I agree with you, but the reason why I changed the networking type
    >> is
    >> that I left my former company (domain) to be an independant (workgroup),
    > so
    >> I can't go back to the former administrator. So what?
    >>

    > Presumably the administrator who gave you the laptop would
    > have no objection to also giving you appropriate account credentials.
    > Otherwise it would be like you being given the company car when
    > parting with your employer, without getting the registration papers.

    It seems you had a cached domain account, not a local acount.
    When you moved into a workgroup environment, you broke
    the trust relationship between your machine and the domain.
    You now need a "real" local account.

    > In fact I have a local account name & password where I am administrator.
    > It was under this log-in that I changed the type. But after the renaming
    of
    > network type and reboot under this username, the password was no longer
    > accepted.
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> I had to change from a domain network to a workgroup one. Since then I
    > > can't
    > >> reboot my laptop because my former password is no longer recognized
    unter
    > >> workgroup networking. I had two administrator user profiles: one named
    > >> "admistrator", on the server I believe, password unknown by myself, and
    > >> second one "XYZ" which was local and I used normally with my own
    > >> password.
    > >> changed the networking type under this profile. How can I regain access
    > >> my computer.
    > >> Thanks for any help
    > >> Fernand
    > >>

    > > You need to ask your network administrator to re-register your
    > > laptop on the domain. Alternatively you have to ask him to give
    > > you a local account name & password.

Domain Networking Windows