eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Hi, I have a question regarding the temperature of my 2 cores. I know that they arent going to be exactly the same but the difference being reported is about 8C consistantly. I know the DTS wasnt officially supported in the S939 version of the X2's and that some report big delta's. My question is if there is a possibility that I may have applied AS5 wrong, or maybe my HSF is improperly seated or if the DTS isnt calibrated properly. Just curious as to your input.

CPU: Athlon X2 4400+ ADA 110w JH-E6 @ 2420
Vcore: 1.375
HSF: Thermalright SI-120 w/ Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm 78cfm

My core temps under 100% load in BIONIC are as follows:

Core 0: 35-36

Core 1: 43-44

These temps are via CoreTemp 0.94

Im comfortable with 43-44 on the core, but which should I trust more? the 43-44 or the 35-36. Should I go with the higher temp just to be safe? Thanks!

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Hey, another BOINC user.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything, take off the CPU, wipe the thermal paste clean off with with alcohol, dry it, put the paste back on in a proper fashion, then re-seat your cooling device. That should at least rule out that part of it.

Happy computing.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. I reseated the HSF about a week ago using artic-clean stuff. I'll try it again tomorrow since it was after I got home from working all night. Thanks for the input. btw what projects are you attached to in BIONIC?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Right now just SETI. That's mostly because the other two that I had on there didn't update anymore. I think I might need to get the latest version of BOINC to fix the problem. Going to hold off until I get my system sometime early next year before adding any new projects or updating BOINC.

After that, probably SETI, a math project, and a genetics/biology project or two.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
yeah i currently run einstein@home but i think i may switch to some medical project. i think medical related is prob better than space related IMHO.

btw ive been thinking about trying as ceramique. worth a try over as5 or no?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
yeah i currently run einstein@home but i think i may switch to some medical project. i think medical related is prob better than space related IMHO.

btw ive been thinking about trying as ceramique. worth a try over as5 or no?

I noticed it the other day when I was looking around the site for Artic 5 and was wondering how it would perform myself. Seems to be a lower price then Artic 5, but on the long run apparently spreads out better and provides better thermal transfer. There's a certain way you're supposed to set it up that might take a few days, but I think overall it might be worth a try.

Could always use it and after a week write a review for it.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Thats a good idea. I may grab a few thermal compounds and give them a try. Ceramique sounds nice too. anyway...after christmas i think ill order a few different brands and give them a run. if anyone has any compounds in mind feel free to suggest. thanks.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
About the only suggestion I have is give each kind a week to work, comparing data from the beginning of using the product, it's cooling at the end of the week. Might make no difference at all in most cases, but at least it throws in some kind of objectivity.

Plus you won't have to feel that mind numbing you get when constantly taking the stuff apart and putting it back together. Oh yeah, avoid that one that acts as superglue, too. Wouldn't want to ruin the experiment on your second test.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
yeah if i do actually get a few compounds to try, i would give each a week to set in, throttling thermal cycles. I have noticed with AS5 that over a week or two, the temp drops a few degrees. It's nothing major but I'm one of those people that like to have the temp down as low as i can get it, although im not into that phase cooling crap, thats just rediculous.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Not at all familiar with phase cooling products. I think the thermal pad most heat sinks ship with might have that, but I don't know.

And over the course of the usage of the chip, 2 degrees less could make a bit of a difference in how long the next person might have to use it, or what they can get out of it.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I think I understand now. Water cooling, but with air? Think I'll research this now.

Nope, wrong way, still uses liquid, but (didn't click), acts like a fridge to keep the temperatures down. You know, that doesn't seem like a bad idea. If a fridge can go for years keeping stuff cool, something like that on a CPU would have no problem keeping the temps manageable. Looks like if I go netburst I'll have something to cool the sucker.

endyen

Splendid
One core always does more work than the other, so different temps are normal.
BTW ceramique is more for gluing than standard AS5. Not a good idea to use on anything where you want to remove the hs again.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
well yeah under normal operation and even under high load with 2 threads one core does more than the other. However, under an artificial full load such as dual prime doing large fft and each with affinity set to one core, they do pretty much equal amount of work. I'm guessing its probably a DTS that wasnt calibrated before it left the factory.

I didnt know ceramique was more for gluing. I thought thats what alumina was for. Thats good to know though, thanks.