MS-DOS "Command Line" - does autoexec.bat initalize?

January 17, 2005 2:42:55 PM

I still have some MS-DOS activities, renamed "Command Line" in Windows
XP Pro. I have an editor, E, cribbed from IBM's PCDOS7 which gives me
column editing/sorting; and I use a version of Rexx to rechop text
files.

When I crank up CommandLine, I'd like to set up and initialize certain
features, as I did in earlier versions of Windows. DOSKEY is useful,
both for its recalling-command feature and macros ; PATH adds access
to my E editor, and SET allows me to link to the editor library area.

My first attempts at putting in an autoexec.bat file didn't seem to
work. Maybe it needs to be placed in a particular area? Maybe
there's another way of achieving this effect?

For the moment, the following code in a .BAT file does what I need,
but I need to call it explicitly every time I invoke CommandLine. Is
there a better way?

path "c:\Docume~1\User\MsDos";%PATH
ECHO Path MsDos for E added
DOSKEY
doskey rx=c:\Docume~1\User\MsDos\brexx\bin\ress $*
set RXLIB="c:\Docume~1\User\MsDos\brexx\lib"
ECHO RX set up

Any suggestions as to how to place this code so that it's triggered
automatically with CommandLine? Thanks.

--Jim
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:25:29 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:42:55 -0500, Jim Butterfield wrote:

> When I crank up CommandLine, I'd like to set up and initialize certain
> features, as I did in earlier versions of Windows. DOSKEY is useful,
> both for its recalling-command feature and macros ; PATH adds access
> to my E editor, and SET allows me to link to the editor library area.
>
> My first attempts at putting in an autoexec.bat file didn't seem to
> work. Maybe it needs to be placed in a particular area? Maybe
> there's another way of achieving this effect?
>
> For the moment, the following code in a .BAT file does what I need,
> but I need to call it explicitly every time I invoke CommandLine. Is
> there a better way?
>
> path "c:\Docume~1\User\MsDos";%PATH
> ECHO Path MsDos for E added
> DOSKEY
> doskey rx=c:\Docume~1\User\MsDos\brexx\bin\ress $*
> set RXLIB="c:\Docume~1\User\MsDos\brexx\lib"
> ECHO RX set up
>
> Any suggestions as to how to place this code so that it's triggered
> automatically with CommandLine? Thanks.

If you are using command.com then make the above modifications in
%windir%\system32\autoexec.nt.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows