clearing cache in PIE

March 23, 2005 3:07:58 PM

Hi,

I have PIE accessing a dynamic Web App... I have problems displaying some
pages as PIE keeps them in its cache: on the server the pages has changed
but still, old display remains on PIE.

Is it possible to clear cache on PIE?
What can be set in the page to force refresh on PIE?

Help appreciated... thanks, Fabien

More about : clearing cache pie

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 3:47:08 PM

Fabien Puig wrote:
[...]
> Is it possible to clear cache on PIE?

Tools->Options->[Temporary Internet Files]Delete Files

I don't know if you can turn off caching altogether in PIE, there may be a
registry setting. I use NetFront so I wouldn't know.

> What can be set in the page to force refresh on PIE?

These tags in the page header ought to do it:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">

Tony
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 5:07:52 PM

Thanks Tony,

I tried both tags already without any success... And just deleting temporary
files might not be a convenient solution... as the application I am working
on is dedicated to user that do not want to bother with IE subtilities...

Thank you for your help, although I'm still stuck... ;-)

I'll try Netfront see if cache management is different and thus solve my
problem

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> Fabien Puig wrote:
> [...]
> > Is it possible to clear cache on PIE?
> >
> Tools->Options->[Temporary Internet Files]Delete Files
>
> I don't know if you can turn off caching altogether in PIE, there may be a
> registry setting. I use NetFront so I wouldn't know.
>
> > What can be set in the page to force refresh on PIE?
> >
> These tags in the page header ought to do it:
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
>
> Tony

March 23, 2005 9:06:59 PM

"Fabien Puig" <fabienpuig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have PIE accessing a dynamic Web App... I have problems displaying some
> pages as PIE keeps them in its cache: on the server the pages has changed
> but still, old display remains on PIE.
>
> Is it possible to clear cache on PIE?
> What can be set in the page to force refresh on PIE?
>
> Help appreciated... thanks, Fabien

Picked this up on this NG about a year ago...

Perhaps it will do what you need if you set it
to ZERO...

backup first.

Using your well trusted Registry Editor, you will have to go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Content

you will have to change the DWORD Data from 19456 (decimal value) to
any value of your preference from 512 up to 19456. I amusing these
values basing it on the Microsoft default value of 512 and the amount
set by default in my iPAQ h2210 being 19456. These values reflect the
size in KB.

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 19456
Base Decimal

In this example, the value was changed from 19456KB to 2048KB:

DWORD Value
Name CacheLimit
DWORD Data 2048
Base Decimal

This then limits the size of the cache to 2MB which leaves the rest of
the RAM free for other applications to use.

--
ppcsurfr
ppcsurfr's Profile:

Open PIE, tap Tools | Options and tap Delete Files...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

"Fabien Puig" <fabienpuig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have PIE accessing a dynamic Web App... I have problems displaying some
> pages as PIE keeps them in its cache: on the server the pages has changed
> but still, old display remains on PIE.
>
> Is it possible to clear cache on PIE?
> What can be set in the page to force refresh on PIE?
>
> Help appreciated... thanks, Fabien

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:50:15 AM

Thanks,

During navigation, I go through this page several times... and I can't have
my users clearing cache manually each time... In fact I wonder if there is
any other way...

Thanks
"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> Open PIE, tap Tools | Options and tap Delete Files...

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>
> "Fabien Puig" <fabienpuig@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have PIE accessing a dynamic Web App... I have problems displaying
some
> > pages as PIE keeps them in its cache: on the server the pages has
changed
> > but still, old display remains on PIE.
> >
> > Is it possible to clear cache on PIE?
> > What can be set in the page to force refresh on PIE?
> >
> > Help appreciated... thanks, Fabien

March 26, 2005 3:55:53 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:07:52 +0100, "Fabien Puig"
<fabienpuig@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks Tony,
>
>I tried both tags already without any success... And just deleting temporary
>files might not be a convenient solution... as the application I am working
>on is dedicated to user that do not want to bother with IE subtilities...
>
>Thank you for your help, although I'm still stuck... ;-)
>
>I'll try Netfront see if cache management is different and thus solve my
>problem

I'm having the opposite problem: I need to cache images to speed up an
application based on a web browser, and PIE don't cache anything.
I tried IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera... all them cache the image, but
PIE didn't...
We have a little experience in pocket pc, actually. Now I'm going to
try some other browsers, but if I'll understand why...

BTW, Temporary Internet Explorer is empty!
I tried on SEVERAL pocket pc (pc2003), and the only strange thing we
had done is that they were former used as client in a Terminal
Services system (now we are moving toward web based solution...)

Any help?

Pietro
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 9:13:34 PM

Pietro wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:07:52 +0100, "Fabien Puig"
> <fabienpuig@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> I'm having the opposite problem: I need to cache images to speed up an
> application based on a web browser, and PIE don't cache anything.
> I tried IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera... all them cache the image, but
> PIE didn't...
> We have a little experience in pocket pc, actually. Now I'm going to
> try some other browsers, but if I'll understand why...
>
> BTW, Temporary Internet Explorer is empty!
> I tried on SEVERAL pocket pc (pc2003), and the only strange thing we
> had done is that they were former used as client in a Terminal
> Services system (now we are moving toward web based solution...)

Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Under WM2003, PIE temporary
files are stored in "\Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5", NOT "\Windows\Temporary Internet Files".

There's a registry setting which I can't remember of the top of my head to
limit the PIE cache size, if it really isn't caching anything, it might be
worth looking up that setting and checking what it's set to.

Tony
April 1, 2005 1:22:16 AM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:13:34 GMT, "Tony A." <what@where.why.com>
wrote:

>cut cut cut
>> BTW, Temporary Internet Explorer is empty!
>> I tried on SEVERAL pocket pc (pc2003), and the only strange thing we
>> had done is that they were former used as client in a Terminal
>> Services system (now we are moving toward web based solution...)
>>
>Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Under WM2003, PIE temporary
>files are stored in "\Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet
>Files\Content.IE5", NOT "\Windows\Temporary Internet Files".
>
>There's a registry setting which I can't remember of the top of my head to
>limit the PIE cache size, if it really isn't caching anything, it might be
>worth looking up that setting and checking what it's set to.
>
>Tony

Yes, you're right. But it remain: Pocket IE is VERY slowly because of
cache.
A 500Mhz pc with a modem (33.2khz) is VERY faster then a pocket PC
with a wless lan IE802.11b!!
Is it possible to move cache in RAM?

Pietro
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:41:00 AM

"Pietro" <NOSPAMpimol@tiscali.it> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:13:34 GMT, "Tony A." <what@where.why.com>
> wrote:
>
>>cut cut cut
>>> BTW, Temporary Internet Explorer is empty!
>>> I tried on SEVERAL pocket pc (pc2003), and the only strange thing we
>>> had done is that they were former used as client in a Terminal
>>> Services system (now we are moving toward web based solution...)
>>>
>>Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Under WM2003, PIE
>>temporary
>>files are stored in "\Windows\Profiles\guest\Temporary Internet
>>Files\Content.IE5", NOT "\Windows\Temporary Internet Files".
>>
>>There's a registry setting which I can't remember of the top of my head to
>>limit the PIE cache size, if it really isn't caching anything, it might be
>>worth looking up that setting and checking what it's set to.
>>
>>Tony
>>
> Yes, you're right. But it remain: Pocket IE is VERY slowly because of
> cache.
> A 500Mhz pc with a modem (33.2khz) is VERY faster then a pocket PC
> with a wless lan IE802.11b!!
> Is it possible to move cache in RAM?

The memory on your Pocket PC is split between Program and Storage. Remember
that other programs are not closed when you tap the [X], so you may have
just less RAM available at certain times. If you want to close programs use
Start | Settings | System | Memory | Running Programs or install a utility
like Magic Button.

By the way, PIE uses RAM by default for its cache.

!