I'm giving consideration to getting a new desk top with WindowsXP. This
would be an O/S upgrade from Windows98 SE. Any thoughts from those of you
that have done this recently?

--
Enjoy the blessings of the day.

jerry

If you are upgrading an older computer, then you should run the XP Upgrade
Advisor first to see what issues exist with the computer that will affect
the upgrade.

For upgrading to XP Home:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx
For upgrading to XP Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

If you are buying a new system, then there should be no issues. I agree
with those who advise at least 512mb of ram, but 256mb will be OK for email,
letter writing, and less demanding games. The problem with 256mb ram
systems is that most of them use integrated grapics that share some of the
ram, leaving you with less that the expected 256mb for Windows. Of course a
good grapics card is better and frees up the shared part for Windows use.
The poster who suggested a Dell may be giving you the best advice because
Dell provides a standard copy of Windows rather than just a restore cd.
"Gerald Evans" <gerald.j.evans@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I'm giving consideration to getting a new desk top with WindowsXP. This
> would be an O/S upgrade from Windows98 SE. Any thoughts from those of you
> that have done this recently?
>
> --
> Enjoy the blessings of the day.
>
> jerry

I have a Compaq Computer, 2.0 CPU, 512 Ram, CD& DVD ROM drives with windows
XP and SP2 and every thing is working fine. I also have a computer with 98
se but I only use that to play my dos games.I would recommend A HP or a
Compaq with windows xp home.
Both of these computers come with oem recovery disks.
Hope this info helps, Bill.

In news:FpSGd.36627$w62.6962@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Gerald Evans <gerald.j.evans@worldnet.att.net> typed:

> I'm giving consideration to getting a new desk top with
> WindowsXP.
> This would be an O/S upgrade from Windows98 SE. Any thoughts
> from
> those of you that have done this recently?

It isn't clear to me what you're asking. You say "a new desk
top." Does that mean you're considering buying a new computer
with Window XP?

On the other hand, you say "an O/S upgrade from Windows98 SE,"
which suggests that you're considering keeping your present
computer and upgrading its operating system to XP.

If you're getting a new computer, there's no question in my mind:
get it with Windows XP. But if you're contemplating an upgrade,
my view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
operating system should be driven by need, not just because there
is a new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows
98 that you expect XP to solve? Do you have or expect to get new
hardware or software that is supported in XP, but not in 98? Is
there some new feature in XP that you need or yearn for? Does
your job require you have skills in XP? Are you a computer
hobbyist who enjoys playing with whatever is newest?

If the answer to one or more of those questions is yes (and your
hardware is adequate for XP), then you should get XP. Otherwise
most people should stick with what they have. There is *always* a
learning curve and a potential for problems when you take a step
as big as this one, regardless of how wonderful whatever you're
contemplating moving to is. Sooner or later you'll have to
upgrade (to XP or its successor) because you'll want support for
hardware or software that you can't get in 98, but don't rush it.
I say all the above despite the fact that I'm a big XP fan. I
think it's the best and most stable of all versions of Windows.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Byte

Having used computers since 1981, I highly recommend you stay away from
HP and/or Compaq. Dell comes with an excellent ensemble of utilities,
applications and recovery disks that you'll be glad to have. Spend a couple
of buck on PCWorld magazine, it has monthly reviews of Best Buys computers
and will give you excellent insight of what or what not to buy and from whom.
But.........final selection of your choice.