Can't access secure sites or ftp after reinstall...

An co-worker hosed a Win2k machine, and I had to end up doing a reinstall.
I reinstalled the OS, applied SP4, but when I tried to go to Windowsupdate,
I kept getting errors. I narrowed it down to SSL, since I couldn't access
ANY secure sites, nor could I download any updated drivers from the vendors
website (or others, just to test out my theory) via ftp. Everything I've
checked looks OK, but it's kind of hard to function without SSL capability.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

    Go to Internet Options in Control Panel

    Click the Advanced Tab, scroll down to the bottom & make sure you have
    checked 'Use SSL 2.0' & 'Use SSL 3.0'

    At the top of the Advanced Tab is an option to 'Enable folder view for ftp
    sites'

    Next, go to the Security tab, highlight the 'Trusted Sites' icon & click the
    Sites button. Uncheck the 'Require Server verification (https:) for all
    sites in the zone' checkbox. Add the following: 'http://*.microsoft.com'
    (without quotes) & click ADD. Now, re-check the 'requires server...'
    checkbox & click OK Click Apply & then click Ok

    Let me know your findings

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

    "Hurricane Andrew" <hurricane_andrew@verizon_nospam.net> wrote in message
    > An co-worker hosed a Win2k machine, and I had to end up doing a reinstall.
    > I reinstalled the OS, applied SP4, but when I tried to go to
    Windowsupdate,
    > I kept getting errors. I narrowed it down to SSL, since I couldn't access
    > ANY secure sites, nor could I download any updated drivers from the
    vendors
    > website (or others, just to test out my theory) via ftp. Everything I've
    > checked looks OK, but it's kind of hard to function without SSL
    capability.

    > --
    > "Hurricane" Andrew
    > Milford, DE