CD drive won't install, ATAPI incompatible or cannot load ..

I am trying to install a CD-RW drive (Liteonit LTR-12101B) on a Windows 2000
computer. After hooking up the hardware, we get an error on bootup saying the
device is ATAPI incompatible. The drive is then found in the device manager,
but troubleshooting results in this error:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers
required for this device. (Code 31)
I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled both the device and driver
(driver from Microsoft Update) with success messages, but continue to get the
same errors.
What could be the problem?
Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about drive install atapi incompatible load

    Is there a confict with the jumper settings? Example: You set both items to
    master etc. Set it to CS (cable select)

    Have you tried deleting the drive in Device Manager & then checking
    (scanning) for hardware changes?

    Windows 2000 shouldn't need drivers for the drive. I hope you haven't tried
    installing one. If you have you need to unhide your INF directory, search
    for the inf file in there for your drive & let Windows 2000 use the default
    Windows 2000 inf...

    What software are you using to run the CD-RW drive? Use Nero 6.3. Don't use
    Nero 6.6 because its full of errors.

    Crouchie1998
    BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Microsoft Devices CD Drives Windows