AMD can be subsidized to build a Fab in NY

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061222/20061222005511.html?.v=1

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AMD (NYSE:AMD - News) today announced it has signed a Grant Disbursement Agreement (GDA) with the State of New York, establishing a two-year window from July 2007 to July 2009 in which AMD can choose to initiate the building of a new state of the art 300mm wafer fabrication facility in Saratoga County, NY. AMD's execution of the agreement comes after New York's Public Authorities Control Board (PACB) voted on Wednesday to approve a $650 million grant for AMD.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks -- but ya' didn't need to :) .... just pointing out they have not commited dollars just yet. It was also in AMD's Dec 14th analyst meeting, they clearly guided that the NY fab was in a non-commital state.

I think that decision will be pushed out a little longer, at least until they have a better feel for how the market is gonna settle.

Ignoring the financial problem, AMD should build the third fab to feed the computer market with more CPUs and GPUs. :wink:

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
i dont know what their largest growth market is but china is as good as any. the way i see it is if you are going to end up selling most of your product there then you should build the product there. saves a ton on shipping and customes and taxes and other head aches

A very good point :wink:
Intel already has 1-2 fabs in South East Asia :wink:

endyen

Splendid
Do they have chip fabs there? Clean room personnel are highly skilled. Cpu clean room are the cream of the crop. I doubt there are many who would want to live in China just yet.
I'd also be suprised if the US government didn't get a little upset if the world's leading experts on silicon were developing that tech in China.
It also seems to me that Intel did a lot better than that in Texas, and AMD got more for Dresden.