Ipod question on ProMedia 2.1

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Will the quality be better if I play music directly from my 80GB Ipod or from my PC which has just onboard sound?

Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC883
Audio Channels 8 Channels

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I would guess from the PC, since an iPod has very low level amplification. Seems like I have to turn up a portable CD player quite a bit when connected to speakers. When you have to turn it up to compensate, some distortion will be apparent. I'm just speculating though, because I don't have an iPod. You could try it out yourself to see which you prefer.

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Actually there is a difference and huge.. just checked from ipod and pc.. ipod had much clearer and pronounced bass at same volume lvl. Not using Eqlizer for either. And I am pretty nooby at music, so if I could tell difference.. yea ;p

as for amplification, umm with 2.1 I have it at 75% volume on Ipod and my volume knob on speakers near min and my neighbors can most likely hear it already.

edit: checked some more... tested some highs and mids.. and on ipod they seem to be more pure/pronounced for some reason.. I must have rerun same sample bit by bit over and over 5 times each and ipod seems to sound more pure. Then again we are comparing onboard sound with a designed for music player. Wonder what will happen when my X-FI card arrives.

My music sample have been 320kb mp3 encodes..

My lossless Bing Cosby christmas classics sound magical on onboard... wonder what will happen with X-FI card.