I thought webcams were for video, say with NetMeeting, not..

verizon

I was hoping to purchase a wired or wireless Webcam for video conferencing,
say via NetMeeting. I'm told that even a cheap webcam such as a Creative
Labs PD1030 will do nicely for video conferencing with NetMeeting. Also, I
would perhaps like to "play" a live video feed on my website from a webcam,
but not if a visitor needs to manually refresh the browser screen to see the
video? I thought webcams, both USB and Wireless, were primarily for video
but I keep seeing still images, say at http://www.camcentral.com/ . Is
there something wrong with my browser or maybe some of the webcams or
websites displaying webcam images on http://www.camcentral.com/ are not
functioning properly?

Second question: What is a current "good" wired webcam (make and model) for
Video Conferencing with NetMeeting?

Third question: What is a good, sub $200-$300, 802.11x webcam for displaying
video on a web page?
-
Peter

kim

Verizon wrote:
> I was hoping to purchase a wired or wireless Webcam for video conferencing,
> say via NetMeeting. I'm told that even a cheap webcam such as a Creative
> Labs PD1030 will do nicely for video conferencing with NetMeeting. Also, I
> would perhaps like to "play" a live video feed on my website from a webcam,
> but not if a visitor needs to manually refresh the browser screen to see the
> video? I thought webcams, both USB and Wireless, were primarily for video
> but I keep seeing still images, say at http://www.camcentral.com/ . Is
> there something wrong with my browser or maybe some of the webcams or
> websites displaying webcam images on http://www.camcentral.com/ are not
> functioning properly?
>
> Second question: What is a current "good" wired webcam (make and model) for
> Video Conferencing with NetMeeting?
>
> Third question: What is a good, sub $200-$300, 802.11x webcam for displaying
> video on a web page?
> -
> Peter

Not everyone has a fast enough internet connection to upload/download
video, hence the still images...also, if the scene doesn't change that
much, there may be no point in sending video when you can send an image
say every 5-10 seconds instead. As for having to manually refresh the
browser to display the new image, well, in my opinion, that is just
'sloppy' web page creation. There are plenty of free Java scripts around
that will automatically refresh either the entire page, or just the
image at intervals predetermined by the web page creator. It is simply a
matter of synchronising the page refresh rate with the software that
uploads the new image.
Video conferencing with Netmeeting does not require a high end camera,
in fact it is probably a waste of money to buy an expensive camera for
that purpose seeing as the image is quite small...and it really needs to
be kept small as you are doing a two way video/audio transmission. You
can also stream live video using a cheap camera. For streaming live
video, check out MS Video Encoder.
As for you second question...take your pick...how much do you want to spend?
Third question: Can't answer that I am afraid. Here in Australia, you
wouldn't get any change out of $300 for a 802.11 cam...in fact you might
have to a few $ to it! Suggesdt you check out the various manufacturers
websites until you find sometihng you like then go to the computer shop
and try to see one in 'action' to gauge the image quality.

Kim

peter

"kim" wrote ...
> Verizon wrote:
<snip>

>> Second question: What is a current "good" wired webcam (make and model)
>> for Video Conferencing with NetMeeting?
>>
>> Third question: What is a good, sub $200-$300, 802.11x webcam for
>> displaying video on a web page?
>> -
>> Peter
>>
> <snip>
> As for you second question...take your pick...how much do you want to
> spend?

[Peter] How about I spend less then $100 US. Then what hardware is good
value for money for NetMeeting?

<snip>

> Kim

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:53:27 GMT, "Verizon"
<verizon@petersaleREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>I was hoping to purchase a wired or wireless Webcam for video conferencing,
>say via NetMeeting. I'm told that even a cheap webcam such as a Creative
>Labs PD1030 will do nicely for video conferencing with NetMeeting. Also, I
>would perhaps like to "play" a live video feed on my website from a webcam,
>but not if a visitor needs to manually refresh the browser screen to see the
>video? I thought webcams, both USB and Wireless, were primarily for video
>but I keep seeing still images, say at http://www.camcentral.com/ . Is
>there something wrong with my browser or maybe some of the webcams or
>websites displaying webcam images on http://www.camcentral.com/ are not
>functioning properly?
>
>Second question: What is a current "good" wired webcam (make and model) for
>Video Conferencing with NetMeeting?

The USB Logitech Pro cam is recomended by many.

>Third question: What is a good, sub $200-$300, 802.11x webcam for displaying
>video on a web page?
>-
>Peter

peter

Would that be the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 for $99 at
http://tinyurl.com/525gy ?
-
Peter

"Si Ballenger" replied:

Peter wrote:
>>Second question: What is a current "good" wired webcam (make and model)
>>for
>>Video Conferencing with NetMeeting?

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:50:19 GMT, "Peter"
<verizon@petersaleREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

>Would that be the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 for $99 at
>http://tinyurl.com/525gy ?

That is probably the one. Some reviews at the below link.

http://tinyurl.com/cevmy

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:53:27 GMT, "Verizon"
<verizon@petersaleREMOVETHIS.com> wrote:

Hi,

>Second question: What is a current "good" wired webcam (make and model) for
>Video Conferencing with NetMeeting?

I don't like spending money :)

I think unless you are going to web conference with a TV station you
really don't want to think of high end webcams.

Most webcams have a resolution of about 0.3MB when running video.

Basically this is enough for chatting with your long lost friend via
the internet.

I get mine off ebay and often only pay £3 ($7).. New I would pay about
£10 ($18)..

I use them both for cheap home security and chat.

>Third question: What is a good, sub $200-$300, 802.11x webcam for displaying
>video on a web page?

Whether you can actually display true streamed video on your web pages
is another matter. Some ISPs don't allow it.

Also if your PC is always switched on then you don't need an IP based
camera (VOIP.. in this case Video Over IP).. All you need is the right
software to act as a server with which to upstream your video.

Personally I think that for most cases this is over kill.

If you really want a good discussion on this side of thing the go look
in the "home, automation" newsgroups as these guys have been doing
this stuff for years.

Currently I am drawing up plans for my next project which will include
a very small mini-itx fanless computer which would always be switched
on and would run an integrated home automation project.

This would run about 4 webcam devices to watch my home, upload motion
detected images to my website and contact me on my cellular phone if
any intruders are detected.

It would also do all the other stuff like run a server, act as my
media storage hub and player (mp3, video, photo's), be a video \ TV
recording device and on top of this control the home environment using
something like the x10 system.

I am also currently looking at various input and output devices that
will allow the computer to moniter things like temperature and light
levels.

Everything I have described above will cost about £200 in total using
second hand (2nd user) equipment or cheap alternative new equipment.

I guess what I am saying is that you do not need to buy an expensive
brand item when most cheap items will do the same job.

Pete