Need some 120mm fan suggestions please.

G

Ok, I am looking for either non led 120mm fans, or blue only. I would like them to be at least 60-75 cfm and with no more noise than 20-30dba. I would also enjoy if they were $5-$9 each, as I might need 5 of them.

Also, are there any other 250mm fans online besides the one at Frozencpu?

Also, does anyone have the Silenx fans from Frozencpu? Are they really that quiet while still 90cfm?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Getting 8 of these things would be a couple dollars cheaper then getting 5 of them. The " Thermaltake A2368 120mm Case Fan" seems to have good reviews on Newegg. There's also a blue LED version, but it's a bit more pricey.

Least having 8 you won't have to worry about getting a replacement if one or two are bad or fail.

Felopian_Turtle

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Also, does anyone have the Silenx fans from Frozencpu? Are they really that quiet while still 90cfm?

Something thats been bugging me about Silenx eversince you posted earlier. Frozencpu AND the silenx site BOTH say its 120x120x25mm fans are 72cfm@14dB, 1400rpms (but packaging clearly states 64cfm)
And now they claim their 120x120x38mm fan can push 90cfm@18dB at 1400rpms?

Am I the only one ticked off at blowing $22 bucks for a fan based on false advertising?

G

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
get the noctua NF-S12-1200 or NF-S12-800 i got the 1200 myself 17dba and 81cfm the 800 is 8dba 59cfm but they r fúcking expensive as shít but also the best out there

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I have one of these and it kicks ass, keeps dust out, very quiet and has a huge airflow. Only thing you have to watch is dust build up on the netting which you can just suck out with a vacuum.

Felopian_Turtle

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
The NZXT Zero he has is HUGE! 8 120mm fans can be held I think!

me=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130056570619&rd=1&rd=1

Also, can anyone find anymore 250mm fans out there beside the one on frozencpu?

Just ordered an NZXT zero from Newegg, hopefully it includes the effing fans
and short of buying a thermaltake side panel with a 250mm fan on it, I really dont know where to get that size fan from, I dont think its mainstream enough yet

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Also, are there any other 250mm fans online besides the one at Frozencpu?

I have found another source of what looks like the same fan, for the same price.

I have bought SilenX fans from other vendors that charge a bit less. My SilenX fans are lower than 90CFM. I like them except for the price. In all four boxes I have them in, they measure quieter than any other fan I've tried. I run dual Prime 95 and watch temps, adjust fan speeds to maintain a preselected CPU and NB temp, then measure SPLs. I've compared the SilenX fans to Scythe, TTake, Nexus, Antec, Noctua, Panaflo, Delta, Arctic Cooling, Zalman, Enermax and Yate Loon. Plus some old fans whose origins I cannot determine... Note that I'm not seeing huge differences in SPLs among the best fans and also note that all of my boxes are OC'ed at stock VCore. So we're not talking about the kind of heat load you get when you run your CPU near the air-cooled limit.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
The NZXT Zero he has is HUGE! 8 120mm fans can be held I think!

me=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130056570619&rd=1&rd=1

Also, can anyone find anymore 250mm fans out there beside the one on frozencpu?

Just ordered an NZXT zero from Newegg, hopefully it includes the effing fans
and short of buying a thermaltake side panel with a 250mm fan on it, I really dont know where to get that size fan from, I dont think its mainstream enough yet

dude dont worry...it comes with ALL of the fans. i swapped them out for thunderblades though... temps are low as hell considering my case pushes 626 total cfm with the new fans.

and czgncdoe, yes, the nxzt zero is quite a big case. very roomy. just wanted to correct you on one thing. it has support for 7, 120mm fans, and one 80mm fan. BUT, there is one unadvertised 80mm fan at the bottom of the case. unfortunately, i cant install it because it interferes with my sound card.

THE RIG:

DSCF4566.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

DSCF4568.jpg

and this one is before cable management by the way...
DSCF45603.jpg

G

that looks really nice. Will probaly get those if they are still on sale after X-Mas.

praeses

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I would like them to be at least 60-75 cfm and with no more noise than 20-30dba. I would also enjoy if they were $5-$9 each, as I might need 5 of them.

Finding fans claiming those specs in that price range is doable, but the actual product will differ significantly.

SilenX products are probably the worst for that, and you definetly are not getting what you pay for. If its quiet fans, defintely go Nexus, from what I found they are the most dependable from individual fan to the next, and the easiest to acquire of the few actual quiet fans available.

The thermaltakes & zalmans are far from quiet at stock speeds but most of them are staged or adjusted. If you have your own means of controlling the speed that's probably not so much of an issue. They will still have a significant amount of mechanical/bearing noise at low speeds in comparison to the Nexus.

None of these will fit in your proposed budget though.

G

The nexus dont pull any air. Thanks, but I will not buy a nexus.

AS for the blue thunderblade at xoxide, I will probaly get that. Its nice.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
the 120mm thermaltake thunderblades push 78cfm at 21dBA $4.99ea at
Xoxide

i already suggested those, and he likes them.

that looks really nice. Will probaly get those if they are still on sale after X-Mas.

why thank you! :D

also, they've been on sale for about 2-2 1/2 months now, so you'll be good. and i recommend these fans to anyone. they push a LOT of air for a 5 dollar fan (and they're quiet, which is another plus)

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I've compared the SilenX fans to Scythe, TTake, Nexus, Antec, Noctua, Panaflo, Delta, Arctic Cooling, Zalman, Enermax and Yate Loon. Plus some old fans whose origins I cannot determine...
Got a link? Because that would be a very interesting read :D

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I've compared the SilenX fans to Scythe, TTake, Nexus, Antec, Noctua, Panaflo, Delta, Arctic Cooling, Zalman, Enermax and Yate Loon. Plus some old fans whose origins I cannot determine...
Got a link? Because that would be a very interesting read :D

I've only posted little bits and pieces here and that's it. Along the way, I stopped to upgrade my evaluation platform. I just bought a good multichallel audio A/D/mixer and some sensitive mics and am putting together an anechoic chamber. When that's all ready, I plan to start over and do the anechoic stuff first, then do some measurements inside and outside of cases when the case is in the chamber. Then maybe a little more to see if I can measure some multi-fan beat frequencies. It's all just piddling around but if I get the rig stable and get reproducible results, I'll post it here.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Lets see some results?

I want to do the anechoic chamber stuff first. For one, I'm trying to get a really stable ambient air temp because it's combined cooling and SPLs in real cases that I want to look at. The biggest qualitative result is that in two different boxes, getting ~equivalent airflow by using more fans at lower flow each gave lower temps and quieter SPL. So vent surface area is a big factor WRT cooling and fan RPM is to SPL. Nothing really surprising there but I was surprised to see cooler and quieter at the same time.