Dial-up using roadrunner with ppc

March 23, 2005 4:53:32 PM

Hi again,
I just had to switch my broadband provider and I now have Roadrunner. Included
with it at no additional charge is dial up access. They provide a dialer
that works on windows and mac based machines that from what I can tell executes
a script for authenticating. I contacted tech support and was told that their
dialer was not designed to run on a handheld.... duh... I can successfully
connect to other dial-up isp's with my cf 56k modem (access4free) but would
like to take advantage of this "free" service. Is anyone familiar with this
authentication process or better yet have a workaround. The error I get is
a u/n or password is incorrect. The ppc is Dell x50v wm2003se. Sorry for the
long post
Tia,
Dean

More about : dial roadrunner ppc

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:53:33 PM

Reply to message from "Dean" <nospam@all.us> (Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:53:32) about "Dial-up
using roadrunner with ppc":

> Hi again,
> I just had to switch my broadband provider and I now have Roadrunner. Included with it
> at no additional charge is dial up access. They provide a dialer that works on windows
> and mac based machines that from what I can tell executes a script for authenticating.
> I contacted tech support and was told that their dialer was not designed to run on a
> handheld.... duh... I can successfully connect to other dial-up isp's with my cf
> 56k modem (access4free) but would like to take advantage of this "free" service. Is
> anyone familiar with this authentication process or better yet have a workaround. The
> error I get is a u/n or password is incorrect. The ppc is Dell x50v wm2003se. Sorry for
> the long post Tia,
> Dean

There has been some posts in the past about RR & PocketPC dialin issues... Do a Google
search on this news group...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:59:40 AM

My notebook is a Mac, and I use RR dial up with it when in remote locations
with no WiFi. I just input the phone number, logon and password, and it
dials up and connects without any issues. The script they provide for mac
just "fills in" this info into the standard dialer in the Mac's network
preferences. I don't see why that wouldn't work for a PPC. I don't have a
modem for my Axim otherwise I'd start trying.

-Walt

"Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message
> Hi again,
> I just had to switch my broadband provider and I now have Roadrunner.
> Included
> with it at no additional charge is dial up access. They provide a dialer
> that works on windows and mac based machines that from what I can tell
> executes
> a script for authenticating. I contacted tech support and was told that
> their
> dialer was not designed to run on a handheld.... duh... I can successfully
> connect to other dial-up isp's with my cf 56k modem (access4free) but
> would
> like to take advantage of this "free" service. Is anyone familiar with
> this
> authentication process or better yet have a workaround. The error I get is
> a u/n or password is incorrect. The ppc is Dell x50v wm2003se. Sorry for
> the
> long post
> Tia,
> Dean

March 24, 2005 10:13:00 AM

I think the issue is the "script they provide"...

--

"Walt Basil" <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote in message
> My notebook is a Mac, and I use RR dial up with it when in remote locations with no WiFi. I just
> input the phone number, logon and password, and it dials up and connects without any issues. The
> script they provide for mac just "fills in" this info into the standard dialer in the Mac's
> network preferences. I don't see why that wouldn't work for a PPC. I don't have a modem for my
> Axim otherwise I'd start trying.
>
> -Walt
>
> "Dean" <nospam@all.us> wrote in message news:3adamrF68vhnvU1@individual.net...
>> Hi again,
>> I just had to switch my broadband provider and I now have Roadrunner. Included
>> with it at no additional charge is dial up access. They provide a dialer
>> that works on windows and mac based machines that from what I can tell executes
>> a script for authenticating. I contacted tech support and was told that their
>> dialer was not designed to run on a handheld.... duh... I can successfully
>> connect to other dial-up isp's with my cf 56k modem (access4free) but would
>> like to take advantage of this "free" service. Is anyone familiar with this
>> authentication process or better yet have a workaround. The error I get is
>> a u/n or password is incorrect. The ppc is Dell x50v wm2003se. Sorry for the
>> long post
>> Tia,
>> Dean

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:32:14 PM

Think I remember that the script contents can be determied by looking at
the dun properties on the pc, if not directly, you can turn on the
terminal window to view and copy them.

With the pocketpc duns, don't think there is script support yet, but you
can turn on "terminal window after connect" and either put the strings
in manually or paste them from notes or clipboard tool.

There is also an old ppc program named "DialUpMaster" that handled logon
scripts... the interface was not intuitative, but once understook worked
fine with a variety of login scripts, but they had to be simple time
based scripts... i.e. it could be programmed to wait after sending a
string before continuing, but was not able to repond to terminal prompts.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!