Network / IP issue

Robuk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Setup: 2 Routers (Linksys

Router 1: DHCP enabled. IP set to 192.168.1.1 - set in Gateway mode (internet connection in). IP Range 192.168.1.100-149
Router 2: DHCP disabled. IP set to 192.168.1.2 - set to Router mode with Dynamic Routing on (RIP)

Connecting a computer to router 1 is fine
Connecting a computer to router 2 ... it can't find an IP address

Any clues? Could it be the firewall which is enabled still on router 2?
Also ... I can't connect to 192.168.1.2 any more (to make modifications I can take it out and plug it direct into a pc)

Many thanks in advance!

-Rob

Ebow

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005
It's obvious there's some sort of routing problem of the DHCP request packets coming from the computers.
But what is it you're trying to achieve with that configuration? Why not just use the first router and connect all computers to it? Are you using the second router as a sort of a firewall for the network?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
When you connect routers back to back. It works easier if you Disable the firewall on router2. Set to clasic routing if supported, this will allow router 1 to set IP in router 2.

If not just have dhcp assign in same subnet but different ip range. Or connect lan to lan and let it work as a hub.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
If not just have dhcp assign in same subnet but different ip range. Or connect lan to lan and let it work as a hub.

I agree, you're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Turn off all the RIP stuff, you don't need it unless you're routing between subnets. How is the second router connected to the first? You need to connect a cable from a LAN port on router 1 to a LAN port on router 2. Don't connect anything to WAN on router 2. I'm assuming all you need is more ports than are available on router 1. Realistically, a switch would be a better solution, but a router can be turned into a switch if you disable DHCP and only use the LAN ports.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If the 2nd router supports what is know as clasic mode, select it. This will allow router 1 to assign dhcp to devices on router 2 when connected through the lan. If not do as fred said.

Or purchase a 8 port router and eliminate all of the confusion.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Really, instead of purchasing an 8 port router, I'd just get a switch and daisy chain. The router would be simpler for sure, just for the sake of only having one device, but an 8 port router will typically cost more than a 4 port, plus a 4 port switch.

I've never seen the classic mode you're talking about. I would assume all that does is turn off DHCP. There's nothing special involved in passing DHCP packets through the 2nd router, since it would just appear as a normal ethernet device to the 1st router.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Yes, the main advantage is that you do not need to tie the router together through the lan port, to bypass the NAT. Which usually goes down when you turn off dhcp. Same thing just another term some mfg are using.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
to bypass the NAT. Which usually goes down when you turn off dhcp.

I wouldn't say the NAT is disabled when you turn off DHCP. Rather, since nothing will be gatewaying to that router, nothing is using the NAT. It's still running though.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Setup: 2 Routers (Linksys

Router 1: DHCP enabled. IP set to 192.168.1.1 - set in Gateway mode (internet connection in). IP Range 192.168.1.100-149
Router 2: DHCP disabled. IP set to 192.168.1.2 - set to Router mode with Dynamic Routing on (RIP)

What are you trying to accomplish using two routers? We need to know this in order to be able to give you good advice pertaining to your wants.

Also ... I can't connect to 192.168.1.2 any more (to make modifications I can take it out and plug it direct into a pc)

Did you set a static IP on the computer that's connecting to the 2nd router? If not, perhaps because the DHCP is disabled, your computer and router don't have compatible configurations at this point.