Hekp needed? AMD or intel.

pisces3255

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Help needed.

I live in Malaysia and intend to build a rig. On a tight budget, just to check with all forumers on which is the better choice of CPU. Both CPU price are at USD 100.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (AM2)
Asus mobo M2NPV-VM
Gigabyte mobo M5G1-S2G
Biostar mobo T force 6100

Pentium D 820
Asus mobo P5GX-MX
Gigabyte mobo 945P-S3

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
I have to say the Pentium D 820, hands down. The athlon 3500+ is a good chip, but the 820 is a dual core. although the pentium consumes more power and runs warmer, it is faster in almost everything. i do recommend that you get an aftermarket cooler such as the thermalright xp-120/si-120, the thermaltake typhoon or an arctic freezer 64. the pentium does make a lot of heat! good luck.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
i heard that also
but i think those are for the newer procs and stuff
for these procs listed i think it may be after january due to amd reporting out their financials

I think there may be minor cuts though.......

Apart from that, I think 820 is the better deal. :wink:

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'd recommend the pentium. Reason being, that you can save a significant amount of money on your heating bill. Just turn your thermostat to low, and that Intel chip will pick up the slack.

I've been reading many forums for many years, and anybody can say what they want to dispute it, and i've given it the benefit of the doubt for quite a while, but i've never seen a site as biased as this one.

Page 1 on these forums reeks of bias like i've never seen on any other site. You might as well say: " Tell me how good Intel is, but don't forget to tell me how bad AMD is". Give me a f'n break. How many suckers do the powers that be think will fall for this shit? Surely i'm not the only one that can see such obvious propaganda shining though. Truly pathetic.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I'd recommend the pentium. Reason being, that you can save a significant amount of money on your heating bill. Just turn your thermostat to low, and that Intel chip will pick up the slack.

I've been reading many forums for many years, and anybody can say what they want to dispute it, and i've given it the benefit of the doubt for quite a while, but i've never seen a site as biased as this one.

Page 1 on these forums reeks of bias like i've never seen on any other site. You might as well say: " Tell me how good Intel is, but don't forget to tell me how bad AMD is". Give me a f'n break. How many suckers do the powers that be think will fall for this ****? Surely i'm not the only one that can see such obvious propaganda shining though. Truly pathetic.

Are you living in 2001?
The first passage is clearly wrong.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
i never heard that
but i had my palm read at the top of victoria peak
is it still called that?

Victoria Peak? 8O
Victoria Park or the Peak in Hong Kong? :wink:

ya well the 6 times i was there i didnt hear "the Peak in Hong Kong"
but i do think you should go up there and clean up the graffiti.

it was cool over looking the city
but i didnt like the spray paint tagged walls and stuff

It's about the culture of some people in the city.
The government still does not have a good solution about that. :(

pat

Expert
Help needed.

I live in Malaysia and intend to build a rig. On a tight budget, just to check with all forumers on which is the better choice of CPU. Both CPU price are at USD 100.

Asus mobo M2NPV-VM
Gigabyte mobo M5G1-S2G

Pentium D 820
Asus mobo P5GX-MX
Gigabyte mobo 945P-S3

Depend of what you intend to do.. the 820 is not the greatest dual core available, the intel onboard video is not in the same league as the nvidia chipset one.. so, if you don't really do lot of multitasking or running multiple CPU intensive task at the same time, I would say the AMD one will be a more balanced system, when coupled with the nvidia 6100 chipset.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Help needed.

Asus mobo M2NPV-VM
Gigabyte mobo M5G1-S2G

Pentium D 820
Asus mobo P5GX-MX
Gigabyte mobo 945P-S3

Depend of what you intend to do.. the 820 is not the greatest dual core available, the intel onboard video is not in the same league as the nvidia chipset one.. so, if you don't really do lot of multitasking or running multiple CPU intensive task at the same time, I would say the AMD one will be a more balanced system, when coupled with the nvidia 6100 chipset.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=473&model2=448&chart=192
Take a Look at This Multitasking benchmark< The AMD Kills It

AMD Overall Winner