updater.lnk

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
message.

You probably don't have it either but you do have a call to it in your registry. Search in regedit for it and tell us the key location where found.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45F81FDB-C5B1-43D3-8EDA-69CA82ADAA9A@microsoft.com...
> What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
> not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
> The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
> message.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

George,
Thanks for the reply. I check the registry and I found it under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Esplorer
Bars/{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}/FilesNamedMRU.
The Name was 000, the Type was REG_SZ, the data was updater.lnk
What now?
Max

"George Hester" wrote:

> You probably don't have it either but you do have a call to it in your registry. Search in regedit for it and tell us the key location where found.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45F81FDB-C5B1-43D3-8EDA-69CA82ADAA9A@microsoft.com...
> > What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
> > not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
> > The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
> > message.

Well that is a M(ost)R(ecently)U(used) key. Let me look at the location just to be sure what to do here...OK save that key...regedit | Registry | Export registry file... | save it somewhere you'll remember and name it like mru. You should end up with a reg file called mru.reg. You can double-click this if any issue comes up but I'm sure none will. In regedit Delete the value on the right containing that file name updater.lnk. Close out of Regedit. I want you to do this next. Right-click on the Task Bar | Properties | Advanced | Clear | Apply | OK. Reboot. Tell me how that goes. Are you sure this was the only location in the registry where updater.lnk was? Also you can clear out your Tempoary Internet Files right-click IE icon on desktop | Properties | General | Delete Files ... | do not check just say OK. And finally clean out as much of your temp files as you can C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings|Temp You will need to have Show hidden files and folders enabled to see Local Settings Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options... | View you will see that option in the textbox there. Don't worry if some of the temp files cannot be deleted that is normal. HTH.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF7BBA09-AD25-4309-9A8E-C80DAB625137@microsoft.com...
> George,
> Thanks for the reply. I check the registry and I found it under
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Esplorer
> Bars/{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}/FilesNamedMRU.
> The Name was 000, the Type was REG_SZ, the data was updater.lnk
> What now?
> Max
>

> "George Hester" wrote:
>
> > You probably don't have it either but you do have a call to it in your registry. Search in regedit for it and tell us the key location where found.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _________________________________
> > "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45F81FDB-C5B1-43D3-8EDA-69CA82ADAA9A@microsoft.com...
> > > What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
> > > not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
> > > The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
> > > message.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

George,

Followed your instructions. Still getting the same error. Now what?

Thanks in advance, Max

"George Hester" wrote:

> Well that is a M(ost)R(ecently)U(used) key. Let me look at the location just to be sure what to do here...OK save that key...regedit | Registry | Export registry file... | save it somewhere you'll remember and name it like mru. You should end up with a reg file called mru.reg. You can double-click this if any issue comes up but I'm sure none will. In regedit Delete the value on the right containing that file name updater.lnk. Close out of Regedit. I want you to do this next. Right-click on the Task Bar | Properties | Advanced | Clear | Apply | OK. Reboot. Tell me how that goes. Are you sure this was the only location in the registry where updater.lnk was? Also you can clear out your Tempoary Internet Files right-click IE icon on desktop | Properties | General | Delete Files ... | do not check just say OK. And finally clean out as much of your temp files as you can C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Local Settings|Temp You will need to have Show hidden files and folders
enabled to see Local Settings Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options... | View you will see that option in the textbox there. Don't worry if some of the temp files cannot be deleted that is normal. HTH.

> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF7BBA09-AD25-4309-9A8E-C80DAB625137@microsoft.com...
> > George,
> > Thanks for the reply. I check the registry and I found it under
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Esplorer
> > Bars/{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}/FilesNamedMRU.
> > The Name was 000, the Type was REG_SZ, the data was updater.lnk
> > What now?
> > Max
> >

> > "George Hester" wrote:
> >
> > > You probably don't have it either but you do have a call to it in your registry. Search in regedit for it and tell us the key location where found.
> > >
> > > --
> > > George Hester
> > > _________________________________

Tell me what is in the keys in the registry. You can save them in the same fashion as I told you earlier. You open them with Notepad. Do NOT double-click them. You want to right-click Edit. These keys and post the result back here:

George Hester
_________________________________
"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45F81FDB-C5B1-43D3-8EDA-69CA82ADAA9A@microsoft.com...
> What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
> not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
> The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
> message.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
Default REG_SZ (value not set)
Buddyizer REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Aimster\Buddyizer.exe
FileFreedom_PlugIn REG_SZ C:\Program Files\FileFreedom\wtm.exe
SurfSideKick 2 REG-SZ C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
Tsa REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsm.exe
TWCApp REG_SZ C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel\The
Weather Channel.exe

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
1ktmac93 REG_SZ C:\Program Files\1ktmac93\1ktmac93.exe
2wSysTray REG_SZ C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
ATIPTA REG_SZ atitpaxx.exe
BPT REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Bpt\bpt.exe
DI2 REG_SZ
C:\DOCUME~1\Fred\LOCALS~1\Temp\27.exe\27.exe
FlenCPY REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Java\flencpy.exe
Grokster REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\Grokster\Grokster.exe/SYSTRAY
HPDJ Taskbar Utility REG_SZ
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\hpztsb04.exe
LabtecKB REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec
Keyboard-Desktop....
Nsv REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System32\nsvsvc\nsvsvc.exe
picsvr REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System32\picsvr\picsvr.exe
QuickTime Task REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe"
-atboottime
REGSHAVE REG_SZ C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
SurfSideKick 2 REG-SZ C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
Syncronization Manager REG_SZ mobsync.exe /logon
SZMsgSvc.exe REG_SZ C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZMsgSvc.exe
WINSTA~1.EXE REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System\WINSTA~1.EXE -b

I think it is probably in the QuickTime Task item. What now?
PS - Thanks for hanging in with me. This has taken some time to do.
Max

"George Hester" wrote:

> Tell me what is in the keys in the registry. You can save them in the same fashion as I told you earlier. You open them with Notepad. Do NOT double-click them. You want to right-click Edit. These keys and post the result back here:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45F81FDB-C5B1-43D3-8EDA-69CA82ADAA9A@microsoft.com...
> > What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
> > not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
> > The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
> > message.

you are spyware central man

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99A6836D-E3EB-4AEE-B48D-3BE3393E5E0B@microsoft.com...
> In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
> Default REG_SZ (value not set)
> Buddyizer REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Aimster\Buddyizer.exe
> FileFreedom_PlugIn REG_SZ C:\Program Files\FileFreedom\wtm.exe
> SurfSideKick 2 REG-SZ C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
> Tsa REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsm.exe
> TWCApp REG_SZ C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel\The
> Weather Channel.exe
>
> In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
> Default REG_SZ (value not set)
> 1ktmac93 REG_SZ C:\Program Files\1ktmac93\1ktmac93.exe
> 2wSysTray REG_SZ C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
> ATIPTA REG_SZ atitpaxx.exe
> BPT REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Bpt\bpt.exe
> DI2 REG_SZ
> C:\DOCUME~1\Fred\LOCALS~1\Temp\27.exe\27.exe
> FlenCPY REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Java\flencpy.exe
> Grokster REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\Grokster\Grokster.exe/SYSTRAY
> HPDJ Taskbar Utility REG_SZ
> C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\hpztsb04.exe
> LabtecKB REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec
> Keyboard-Desktop....
> Nsv REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System32\nsvsvc\nsvsvc.exe
> picsvr REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System32\picsvr\picsvr.exe
> QuickTime Task REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe"
> -atboottime
> REGSHAVE REG_SZ C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
> SurfSideKick 2 REG-SZ C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
> Syncronization Manager REG_SZ mobsync.exe /logon
> SZMsgSvc.exe REG_SZ C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZMsgSvc.exe
> WINSTA~1.EXE REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System\WINSTA~1.EXE -b
>
> I think it is probably in the QuickTime Task item. What now?
> PS - Thanks for hanging in with me. This has taken some time to do.
> Max
>
> "George Hester" wrote:
>
> > Tell me what is in the keys in the registry. You can save them in the same fashion as I told you earlier. You open them with Notepad. Do NOT double-click them. You want to right-click Edit. These keys and post the result back here:
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _________________________________
> > "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45F81FDB-C5B1-43D3-8EDA-69CA82ADAA9A@microsoft.com...
> > > What does it mean when I get an error message at start up that Windows can
> > > not find the file updater.lnk? How can I fix this problem?
> > > The other computer here does not have this file and does not get this error
> > > message.

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

George,

We run virus checks and spyware programs (Lavasoft's Ad-Aware). How do we
clear this spyware and how do we get rid of the original problem with
updater.lnk??

Max

"George Hester" wrote:

> you are spyware central man
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99A6836D-E3EB-4AEE-B48D-3BE3393E5E0B@microsoft.com...
> > In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
> > Default REG_SZ (value not set)
> > Buddyizer REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Aimster\Buddyizer.exe
> > FileFreedom_PlugIn REG_SZ C:\Program Files\FileFreedom\wtm.exe
> > SurfSideKick 2 REG-SZ C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
> > Tsa REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsm.exe
> > TWCApp REG_SZ C:\Program Files\The Weather Channel\The
> > Weather Channel.exe
> >
> > In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:
> > Default REG_SZ (value not set)
> > 1ktmac93 REG_SZ C:\Program Files\1ktmac93\1ktmac93.exe
> > 2wSysTray REG_SZ C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
> > ATIPTA REG_SZ atitpaxx.exe
> > BPT REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Bpt\bpt.exe
> > DI2 REG_SZ
> > C:\DOCUME~1\Fred\LOCALS~1\Temp\27.exe\27.exe
> > FlenCPY REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common
> > Files\Java\flencpy.exe
> > Grokster REG_SZ C:\PROGRA~1\Grokster\Grokster.exe/SYSTRAY
> > HPDJ Taskbar Utility REG_SZ
> > C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\hpztsb04.exe
> > LabtecKB REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Labtec\Labtec
> > Keyboard-Desktop....
> > Nsv REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System32\nsvsvc\nsvsvc.exe
> > picsvr REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System32\picsvr\picsvr.exe
> > QuickTime Task REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe"
> > -atboottime
> > REGSHAVE REG_SZ C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
> > SurfSideKick 2 REG-SZ C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 2\Ssk.exe
> > Syncronization Manager REG_SZ mobsync.exe /logon
> > SZMsgSvc.exe REG_SZ C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\SZMsgSvc.exe
> > WINSTA~1.EXE REG_SZ C:\WINNT\System\WINSTA~1.EXE -b
> >
> > I think it is probably in the QuickTime Task item. What now?
> > PS - Thanks for hanging in with me. This has taken some time to do.
> > Max
> >
> > "George Hester" wrote:
> >
> > > Tell me what is in the keys in the registry. You can save them in the same fashion as I told you earlier. You open them with Notepad. Do NOT double-click them. You want to right-click Edit. These keys and post the result back here:
> > >
> > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> > >
> > > --
> > > George Hester

You've got to get rd of all that spyware. I cannot imagine Ad-Aware is not telling you about these issues. Try Hijackthis. That will catch almost all of them. The updater.lnk is put there by one of these spywares (malwares). Which one I have no idea.

--
George Hester